Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:55 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:55 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal ContestantsAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:36 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject: Lucy

Warnings: 0
Just thought I'd post this because todays show confirmed what I think...

I think she's a great person and I hope she wins a lot of money, but I don't think the advice she gives other contestants is of much use.

When she says "imagine £n in your bank account", it's true, but I (personally) don't think people should think that way.

I've noticed that when Lucy gives advice, she gives what she would do, and that's fine, but I also think she tries to persuade the player to do her decision.

If it were me giving advice, I would give my opinion, but I would definately not try to persuade the contestants to do whatever.

Yesterday (I think), Aaron gave advice, and that was his opinion, absolutely fine. He also said something along the lines of 'but it's your decision'. Then, Lucy gave her opinion and virtually said that Aaron's advice was rubbish and that the contestant should take the money.

Personally I think Aaron's advice is more useful than Lucy's, since he actually gives advice and statistics, which, at the end of the day, is what counts. It isn't what you 'feel' is in the box that counts. That's just coinsidence.

But, after all, everyone's different and it's their decision, and I can fully understand people who prefer Lucy's advice. However, I still think that Lucy shouldn't put the contestants in the position that she does.

Having said all of this, I think Lucy is brilliant and I really like her, it's just a couple of things she says which gets me thinking.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, and as you can tell, I'm terrible at wording things and stringing things together :lol:

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:48 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Ok fair enough, I see where your coming from :-) I think she just trys to give her best advice as possible. I don't think she purposely trys to presuade the contestants to take the money, I guess she just wants the best for them and doesn't want them to go away with pennies. If I remember correctly in another game she told the contestant to go with their heart and deal at the amount they feel comfortable.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:50 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

"The Banker" wrote:
I guess she just wants the best for them and doesn't want them to go away with pennies.

I totally agree with that, she just wants the best for them, but I still think she could do with being a little less biased, but as I stressed before, I think she's brilliant and I hope she wins big.

#1 Box 4 fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:51 pm    Author: #1 Box 4 fan    Post subject:

Personally I prefer Lucy's advice. Aaron is all well and good, but with stats it can go wrong. You can go on about probabilities all day, and it can still go all wrong. Lucy's is personal advice which works alot better IMO.

Maltus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:23 pm    Author: Maltus    Post subject:

I think Sarah's advice was the only advice worth listening to! :-D

Seriously though, I think that the contestants that gave too much statistical advice (however good it was), seemed to be 'marked men' (and women) by the banker when it came to their show (Geordie's show being a case in point - he got a load of rubbish offers). I think Aaron's advice has been excellent and so I can only hope the banker hasn't tried to rub it in his face with stingy offers when it came to his show.

As for Lucy, I respect her opinion, as I think shes trying to add a touch of realism to proceedings, so contestants keep their feet on the ground throughout, which is really important. But of course it is frustrating when they deal too early.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:27 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

Maltus wrote:

I think we all agree to that :-D :-D

jonny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:17 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject:

lucy pretty much sealed sarah's perfect game today ;)

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

bushy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:27 pm    Author: bushy    Post subject: Re: Lucy

Steve wrote:
When she says "imagine £n in your bank account", it's true, but I (personally) don't think people should think that way.

I think this is a very sensible way for people to think - I think it was Marcus who introduced this concept.

What I don't think makes sense is suggesting that people should (or shouldn't) continue based on what they feel is in their box - this is where probabilities and averages can help.

The other aspect to advice-giving is being able to take the consequences - it's easy to suggest people Deal - even if they end up "losing out" they still end up with a tidy sum. Advising people to No Deal, even on the best boards, carries the risk that they will leave with pennies, and believe me it's not a good feeling when that happens.

kestral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:30 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject:
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Steve wrote:
Maltus wrote:

I think we all agree to that :-D :-D

Yep, just wish the banker listened to her advice and gave some of her offers :-D

Great minds think alike Maltus ;) I was going to say very much the same as you :)

I think it's great to have the statistical advice as sometimes the offers don't reflect the state of the game board and it warrants playing on, although sometimes contestants can get blinded by the board and the sort of advice that Lucy gives can bring them back to reality.

Oneboxgame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:10 am    Author: Oneboxgame    Post subject:

I'd agree that Lucy seems like a really good person.

While Aaron's statistical analysis is all fine, it doesn't allow for the contestant's own feelings or instincts, if you know what I mean. Lucy's advice is more centred around this.

On Friday it looked like she ruined Patrick's game as her advice persuaded him to Deal, then the camera kept showing her as the game unfolded to its unfortunate end. However, I suppose she might not have been the last to offer advice as it was made to appear, since they have to cut out a lot of footage. Even if it was her input that influenced a bad game on that occasion, it could be claimed that she compensated by contributing to a very good outcome today.

She seems really nice as well...in more ways than one. >_> Yeah, but I noticed how at Beryl's show she came up to hug her even though they weren't exactly near each other on the podium; I thought that was a nice touch.

I hope she wins a lot of money when she gets on. WHEN, though! 35 shows and counting is quite incredible.

LittleFrog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:42 pm    Author: LittleFrog    Post subject:

If you notice (definitely in the past few games) Lucy is always first up to hug the winning contestant!

I bet I'm proved wrong today! hehe

Oneboxgame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:03 pm    Author: Oneboxgame    Post subject:

She is at the end because she's at the far...west side of the "East Wing"! :lol: So she has the shortest distance to walk.

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:30 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Yeah I seemed to notice that.

Maltus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:06 pm    Author: Maltus    Post subject:

On a slightly different note, have we established if Lucy got annoyed by being kept waiting so long when everyone else is getting their go much quicker? She must have found it quite strange, if anything! Did everyone think they'd just forgotten her?!

Can bushy/Flash/JT enlighten us on this?

bushy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:41 pm    Author: bushy    Post subject:

Lucy wanted to stay - she lived locally and had very understanding employers. All the same I was surprised when she didn't play on the final Friday of filming before the "dark week" (they film for two weeks then take one off for auditions etc.)

We used to wind her up massively before each show! :lol:

Qwerty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:08 pm    Author: Qwerty    Post subject:

Not sure if you're allowed to answer this bushy but I'll ask anyway!

Did you even play before Lucy or did she eventually play while you were still opening boxes? :D

bushy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:16 pm    Author: bushy    Post subject:

I think Jonny has answered this in spoilers elsewhere. I did get to see Lucy's game, one way or the other :)

jonny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:03 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject:

ohhh i really want to know if she does well now. as long as she gets a good amount i'm happy...i think at least £20k is worthy of 50 shows...

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

Maltus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:34 pm    Author: Maltus    Post subject:

jonny wrote:
ohhh i really want to know if she does well now. as long as she gets a good amount i'm happy...i think at least £20k is worthy of 50 shows...

At least... (how long in weeks will she have been there overall?)

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:02 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Maltus, her first appearance was on the 1st February and she plays on the, spoiler 30th March end of spoiler, making that roughly 9 and a half weeks. But they film 3 a day so she's been there alot less than that.

I'm a little concerned about her now, doesn't she get cold just wearing those tops. Even looking at her makes me shiver.

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal ContestantsAll times are UTC [ DST ]