Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:25 am Last visit was: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:25 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 18 posts ] 

Who will win?
Brazil 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
France 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
England 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
Argentina 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Italy 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Holland 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Trinadad and Tobago 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Other 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 26

crawley_town

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:28 am    Author: crawley_town    Post subject: The world Cup

Warnings: 0
Who will win the 2006 FIFA world Cup in Germany.
Do england have a chance?
Thoughts please!

greeny

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:08 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

Simple answer to that question: No.

We don't have a strong enough squad and we have Sven Goran Eriksson as a coach, so it's unlikely we'll win. I fear it will be Brazil. I wonder how many people will vote for Trinidad & Tobago!

simone

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:39 pm    Author: simone    Post subject:

I think England have a chance as long as they work as a team & dont think its a one man team. I think they still have a good chance with or without Wayne Rooney

the1pclub

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:45 pm    Author: the1pclub    Post subject:

I'm sorry if this is unpatriotic, England WON'T win the World Cup, they may have a good stab at it...semi finals or quarters at the most but they just don't have the power I think to go all the way.

I honestly couldn't really care who wins, I have a sneaky feeling Holland may do it.....

But as I'm not certain, I voted for Trinidad & Tobago just for the fact I attended the same school as one of their players, Chris Birchall.

DON'T FORGET, IT'S TAX FREE!!

#1 Box 4 fan

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:15 pm    Author: #1 Box 4 fan    Post subject:

Oi, where's the Czech Republic? :x They are going to win.

Mental Mickey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:35 pm    Author: Mental Mickey    Post subject:

Location: Secret lair inside a hollowed-out volcano somewhere near Preston
I don't think Brazil (or any South American team) will win on European soil. My money would probably be on the hosts, Germany. I do think a European team will win, so if not them, then England certainly have a chance, but so do most the other teams - except Trinidad and Tobago, which is why I voted for them. I love the underdog. It's why I supported Wimbledon for so many years and always like to see Wales, NI and Scotland do well when they play. :-)

Ciara

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:08 pm    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

Location: Caught beneath the landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky
I think it'll be either Germany or Brazil, but would put Brazil as the favourites.

As for England, someone said it above, they are unlikely to win the WC because of Eriksson. England have a fantastic first X1 of Robinson, Neville, Ferdinand (personally, I rate Carragher but he's too similar to JT. And that's not being biased - Ferdinand is careless, mentally slow and lacks serious concentration. He ability on the ball and the fact he plays for United mean he's a favourite with Eriksson.), Terry, A Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, J Cole, Rooney and Owen. There are only a couple of problems - Lampard and Gerrard in the centre haven't proved to be the best partnership.

Gerrard is asked to sit deep to allow Lampard to get forward and it doesn't work for them. People are expecting Gerrard to carry England in this World Cup in Rooney's absense and produce the performances he's been producing for Liverpool. But unless he's allowed to get forward that's not going to happen. SGE will make him sit deep and protect that defence while Lampard goes forward. Lampard is a fantastic player, really excellent but he can't pick up a team and drive them forward like Gerrard does. Lampard is best when he is able to pass the ball ahead of the defence and let the wingers/striker run onto it, and take shots from anywhere outside the box. Gerrard can do that too but he gives you more - he can play inside the box and outside the box. He is just more dynamic and has more to his game.

If Eriksson had any sense he'd build the team around Gerrard in Rooney's absense.

The other problem for England is a lack of plan B. If things go wrong, I don't think Eriksson has enough up his sleeve to get England out of trouble. Under Eriksson, England have relied on individuals to get them out of trouble e.g. Beckham against Greece etc...

Also, Eriksson is tatcically inept. I remember back to the last World Cup, when Brazil went down to 10 men. Eriksso hadn't got a clue how to deal with that.

England have alot of big game players. How far they get in this tournament will be down to them, not necessarily the Swede.

Member of the Noel's Beard Fanclub.

the1pclub

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:34 pm    Author: the1pclub    Post subject:

Ciara wrote:
personally, I rate Carragher but he's too similar to JT.

I'm not sure, I'd like to see Carragher do the okey cokey!

DON'T FORGET, IT'S TAX FREE!!

Solskjaer

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:43 pm    Author: Solskjaer    Post subject:

Argentina have an excellent chance with there midfielders like Aimar and Riquelme and strikers as crespo, tevez and messi. Defence aint bad either with Heinze and Ayala.

Super Aguri

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Author: Super Aguri    Post subject:

Scotland will win of course

oh yeah I forgot they are not in it :twisted: :-D

Ciara

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:21 am    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

Location: Caught beneath the landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky
Solskjaer wrote:
Argentina have an excellent chance with there midfielders like Aimar and Riquelme and strikers as crespo, tevez and messi. Defence aint bad either with Heinze and Ayala.

Argentina are a good shout. However, their manager has left Zanetti out in favour of West Ham's Scaloni (on loan from Deportivo), what the hell is that about? He left out a couple of big players if I remember correctly.

They have a fantastic squad, plenty of depth and alot of players at the right age. Alot of young talent too. Riquelme has to be on form if they are to do it though, as alot of their attacking play goes right through him.

I don't think they'll win it but they'll be the most exciting team to watch out there IMO.

Member of the Noel's Beard Fanclub.

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:59 am    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject:

DavidF1 wrote:
Scotland will win of course

oh yeah I forgot they are not in it :twisted: :-D

Scotland were eliminated in qualifying... but are still in.

Trinidad & Tobago have a player called Jason Scotland. (Yes, he IS scottish-based for that matter - St Johnstone.)

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:07 am    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject: Re: The world Cup

According to this forum...

Brazil: 3/1
France: 50/1
England: 7/2
Argentina: 18/1
Italy: 18/1
Holland: 50/1
Trinidad and Tobago: 6/1
Other: 9/1

KP

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:37 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

England are available between 4-1 and 5-1 to go out in the group stage. I'm exceedingly tempted, because both Sweden and Paraguay are hugely underrated - Sweden have Ibrahimovic (horribly egotistical guy, genuinely great player) and Larsson (who single-handedly won the Champions League Final), while Paraguay have several German-based players who are underrated because they don't play in the Spanish or Italian leagues.

And with Rooney absent, Owen half-fit, Gerrard stuck in central midfield and Defoe watching on the telly, England have no chance.

As for who will win it? Brazil are the obvious choice, but strangely the hottest of hot favourites seem to crumble every time. I'm going with Italy, because they'll be massively determined to bounce back from the match-fixing scandal engulfing their domestic league.

Maltus

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:45 pm    Author: Maltus    Post subject:

I think Italy are a good call too. Watch out for Gilardino.

Paraguay's goalkeeper is a liability - they played Denmark the other day and he did a 'cannonball' save' - diving to chest the shot away with his arms by his sides! :-D Lets hope he's that eccentric come the World Cup.

Sweden have two exceptional strikers but I think the defence is very shaky. I think England will get out of their group without too much difficulty to be honest.

crawley_town

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:08 pm    Author: crawley_town    Post subject: Re: The world Cup

safc4eva wrote:
According to this forum...

Brazil: 3/1
Argentina: 18/1
Italy: 18/1
Other: 9/1

Loving the odds!

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:21 pm    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject:

Odds update

Brazil: 7/2
Argentina: 20/1
Italy: 10/1
Other: 10/1

crawley_town

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:52 pm    Author: crawley_town    Post subject:

England now faves to win :!: :-D

[ 18 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]