Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:47 pm Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 12:47 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

daniel4389

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:09 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
basicasic wrote:
Rita was one of my favorite players of all time ........... until she dealt.

So you suddenly stopped liking her just because she did something you personally wouldn't have done? That seems a little narrow-minded.

basicasic wrote:
I don't care what anyone says that was beyond feeble. 3rd round offer with 4 of the power 5 on the board and she deals. I'm speechless ......... well almost. When I think how exciting and tense the game could have been if she'd gone on even just a bit further and instead we get another damp squib.

Yes, if she'd gone on right to the end, given the way the boxes went, it would have been an amazing game. But of course, nobody knew that at the time she dealt. Imagine if she'd carried on, having spoken about what she'd wanted to do with the money and said that £18,444 would be enough to enable her to do that, and blown it all and ended up with 10p. Would that not have been far more upsetting than what we actually saw? You might beg to differ but I would infinitely prefer watching what really happened than a scenario where she went on and lost it all.

basicasic wrote:
The show is being ruined by this seemingly never ending run of contestant with no backbone whatsoever.

They should just ask the contestants how much they want before the show starts, write them a cheque, play the end credits and we can all switch over and watch Flog It.

You know, you're perfectly entitled to switch over and watch whatever you want anyway...if you don't like seeing people Deal - which, after all, makes up 50% of the show's title - then I'd advise you not to watch it. It's a bit like switching on "Ready, Steady, Cook" and complaining about all the cooking...

Last edited by daniel4389 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Power5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:11 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

Just see the "One Year Since" thread tomorrow for what can happen when a contestant feels pressured to turn down an offer that's right for them, however early that might be...

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:40 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Everybody can quote examples and what-ifs as I'm sure most scenarios have been played out many times over the 444 shows.

And of course I didnt want Rita to go home with nothing. I would have loved her to go home with the £100,000 and I took no pleasure watching the game unfold as it did.

But there's no denying the game fell flat after that, as it did after Phils game and seemingly so many games these days. It is presented by Channel 4 as a purported entertainment show based on gambling for money. Its the gambling that makes the show exciting and I love to see contestants get as much out the game as they can. But not even taking small risks is just wrecking the show. Why not deal after the first offer ? Its usually around the £10,000 these days.

Even my mother, who has been the most ardent fan since day 1, is getting fed up. She switched over after Phils early deal and switched off after todays effort.

Its the risk and gambling element that makes the show popular with the general public. If there is no risk and no gambling the show will wither away.

Rockjack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:03 pm    Author: Rockjack    Post subject:

Dissapointing she dealt in game play but was for a emotional cause.. see they should of chose me who would of carried on!

Sob!

daniel4389

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:08 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
But there's no denying the game fell flat after that, as it did after Phils game and seemingly so many games these days.

Really? Yes we've had a couple of early dealers, but we've also had big gamblers like Penny, Barry and Theresa - with a wide range of outcomes! I agree that if nobody gambled then the show would be boring, but it would also be boring if everybody gambled - the fun is in the different approaches everyone has towards the game. And I don't think the show's been any worse in terms of that lately.

croftrock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:30 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:

But there's no denying the game fell flat after that, as it did after Phils game and seemingly so many games these days..

Are you sure? We just had the longest run of Banker wins ever because people were gambling all over the place. It's been crazy the money that's been turned down recently.

basicasic wrote:
It is presented by Channel 4 as a purported entertainment show based on gambling for money. ..

Is it? When did they say that? It's not a show about risk, it's a show about risk assessment. Some take the risk, some don't; the essence is far more if you would do what they did in the same situation.

basicasic wrote:
Its the risk and gambling element that makes the show popular with the general public. If there is no risk and no gambling the show will wither away..

Who says there's fewer risks being taken? You criticise a big first offer but one has never been taken and so lots of contestants are taking big risks from the beginning. There have been more huge no deals in recent weeks than ever before.

I personally think it's interesting that caution has broken out. They have been reckless for weeks and now they are swinging the other way. No doubt it will continue for a week or two before swinging back the other way.

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:00 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

A lot of banker wins are down to sheer bad luck and nothing to do with gambling.

However its good that people view the games from different perspectives and its no secret I like contestants who no-deal on a decent board. I would no-deal with 2 of the power 5 in play and I reckon in more cases than not I'd have got more than the contestant who dealt did. Sometimes I'd end up with peanuts.

Funnily enough I didn't feel that angry with Rita's deal, disappointing though it was, because she never made any pretentions about going to the end or being a gambler. It didnt affect her offers either. Phils weeks of b*llsh*t followed by a feeble deal really did anger me. Even thinking about Steven .................

Whatever your point of view the game can certainly pull the emotional strings :shock:

KP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:01 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

If Philip's early deal might have been a result of bluffing, this was just the purest example of someone coming with a sum in mind and taking it while it was there. See also: Lofty.

Sometimes I do wonder what the hell the gamblers are on, but it's their money they may lose. I'm more concerned with the way the gamblers are encouraged, as opposed to the gambling per se...

Hope Rita posts on here, I can just imagine her joining the anti-Noel brigade and that would be quite interesting to see whatever you think of him...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

johindes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:07 am    Author: johindes    Post subject:

I am just thinking that its nice that she can afford to go see her fathers grave, thats worth such a lot.

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:25 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Awww Rita is the best. I loved that game, it had everything, the banter, the laughs, and lots of emotion! Yeah it was horrible that she could have won £100,000 but I'm just happy that she can achieve her dream with £18,444 and that’s the most important thing! I had a lump in my throat when she said deal because I know that her dream to visit her father’s grave was now a reality and it meant so much to her. :D

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:26 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Oops, I forgot to comment on this game when it was on - well done Rita for dealing when you did! I may have gone on one more round, but that offer was very tempting and I probably would have dealt too - so I hope the money does what you want it to do!

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]