Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:59 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:59 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:26 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
I was thinking of Geordie and Janelle, but yes, you can add Kelly as well. :)

I know other contestants have said uncomplementary things about all three now come to think of it.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:31 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:
That has happened so many times in the past that the player expects it, and it is a classic thing for the banker to do. The contestant will not be judged by their familly as much as Richard could be (and appears to have been) judged by his fellow contestants, who do not know him as well as his family know him, so I feel the banker bringing a contestant's family into the game is less of an issue than what happened to Richard yesterday. The banker referring to a player's family does not affect the other contestants, whereas what happened yesterday did!

Surely you are not suggesting that a player's fellow contestants are more important to them than their family?!

Quote:
Why hasn't it happened before, then? It's quite clear that the show has been trying to add new ingredients since the begining of season 2, and even more so since the beginning of series 3 (the filming series, which started with Elizabeth and Mandy). Why has the banker not used these tactics up until now?!

You've answered your own question. It's because the producers are trying to keep the show fresh and interesting by doing different things. Whilst there may be a small core of people like you (and, to a degree, myself!) who don't want things to change, I'd imagine that the vast majority of the viewing public would get bored and switch off if the show didn't evolve in some way.

Quote:
Was it not a bit unfair to Richard, when no other player has ever before had to face such a decision, a decision which, as I said before, could affect other contestants?!

Yes, it was a little unfair to Richard. But Deal or No Deal is an unfair game! And it really doesn't deserve the levels of outrage that people are expressing here, in my opinion.

joineemorris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:36 pm    Author: joineemorris    Post subject:

jamesah wrote:
Ok, lets set the record straight, Richard was a good player who palyed a good game and i am so pleased he did well.

No, he did not give me the 5k, i am sure he had his own needs and i for one will never criticise him for that.

The only disappointing thing for me, is that he has not kept in touch, i dont feel i can contsct him becasue it looks like i am after the money, which i am not.

One player, who i will not name, did give me money to cover my loss of eqrning, for which i will always be grateful.

Ricahrd is a friend and will reamin so, well done on your game mate.

Andrew, you truly are one of life's great people. What a wonderful attitude to have, and I wish you all the veyr best for the future.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:39 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

MisterAl wrote:
h2005 wrote:
That has happened so many times in the past that the player expects it, and it is a classic thing for the banker to do. The contestant will not be judged by their familly as much as Richard could be (and appears to have been) judged by his fellow contestants, who do not know him as well as his family know him, so I feel the banker bringing a contestant's family into the game is less of an issue than what happened to Richard yesterday. The banker referring to a player's family does not affect the other contestants, whereas what happened yesterday did!

Surely you are not suggesting that a player's fellow contestants are more important to them than their family?!

No - the point I am making is that if the banker tries to play mind games with the player by mentioning their family, it is really a banker vs. contestant psychological battle. As many players say, their family will still love them whatever their decision. However, when the banker brings other contestants into the equation like he did yesterday, it becomes a banker vs. the contestant vs. the other contestants situation in a way.

If the player makes the wrong decision, the contestants are much more likely to judge them based on that wrong decision than their own families are. Therefore, I think when the banker makes comments about a player's family, the player can shrug them off if they so wish, whereas once other contestants are brought into it, it is more difficult to ignore, as there is the possibility 22 (assuming ex-contestants are brought into it as well) or more other people will unfairly judge you.

It also has to be noted that the banker normally only says things like "You'll need the money for your family", whereas yesterday, he was actually offering money to an ex-contestant via the current contestant - so it's different anyway.

MisterAl wrote:
You've answered your own question. It's because the producers are trying to keep the show fresh and interesting by doing different things.

Yes, but why did the banker choose to do it after Andrew's game, when there have been plenty of other low winners in the past few months...?

Quote:
Yes, it was a little unfair to Richard. But Deal or No Deal is an unfair game! And it really doesn't deserve the levels of outrage that people are expressing here, in my opinion.

I think the main point is that what happened yesterday has clearly unnecessarily caused some uncomfortable feelings between Richard, Andrew and the other contestants.

Last edited by h2005 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:40 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

MisterAl wrote:
Compare it to Big Brother, or to Weakest Link, or to any game where people make decisions that affect another player's position in the game. If that doesn't put pressure on the participants' relationships then I don't know what does.

I think with those programmes, though, the conflict between players is a necessary part of the game; nobody could audition for either of them and complain when they were told they had to vote someone off. In DOND, while all the players are there for so many shows, they in theory have very little to do with any games other than their own. I doubt Richard had any idea that that would happen when he applied for the show, and I certainly wouldn't be happy in his position.

MisterAl wrote:
What about the numerous times when the Banker has made comments about the player's friends and family? About how they should think of their children? Is that not even worse 'emotional' tactics than what happened yesterday? But I don't recall everybody being so outraged about that kind of thing.

That's true, but I tend to think that the player's family is their responsibility; any money they win will presumably be used by/for their family as well, so it's not unreasonable to remind them of that and expect it to affect their decision. Richard and Andrew, however, presumably had nothing to do with each other before they appeared on the show...however much they may have got on, Andrew's welfare isn't Richard's responsibility.

MisterAl wrote:
As has been said many times before, if The Banker acted in the same way to everybody, then the game would get boring and predictable. The reason why Richard got such an offer and Jane didn't is, I believe, pure chance.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there, as only the Banker (or whoever came up with the idea for yesterday's show) will know his true motivation!

MisterAl wrote:
To reiterate the point I finished with before, which nobody has really responded to, these players are being given the opportunity to win serious life-changing money. Why shouldn't they be tested a bit? Richard yesterday won £35,000, tax-free. Many people would have to work solidly for over two years to achieve that, with all of the stresses and strains that work involves. For the majority of people, there'll be more relationship pressures involved in over two years at work than the dilemma that Richard faced yesterday.

I think my main problem, as I said earlier, is that Richard would have had no possible way of expecting this to happen. He'd presumably seen that 200+ shows had aired before he applied, giving people the chance to win life-changing money without having to face the dilemma that he did, and would have had no reason to expect that his game would be any different. It would be naive to think you could get through a job, or any important aspect of life, without ever suffering any strains or pressures in relationships, but it's not necessarily what you'd expect from appearing on a TV gameshow.

Mental Mickey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:57 pm    Author: Mental Mickey    Post subject:

Location: Secret lair inside a hollowed-out volcano somewhere near Preston
daniel4389 wrote:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there, as only the Banker (or whoever came up with the idea for yesterday's show) will know his true motivation!

Presumably the ghost of Laura's £250K game is still affecting the producers in some way and they are worried that now the big prize has been won, audiences will somehow now start drifting away. It has been seen to some extent in "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?", so obviously Endemol are trying to tweak the format a bit and come up some new gimmicks. Some of them work better than others. I think it really started at the beginning of series three with Elizabeth & Mandy's dual game. The number of 'swap' offers has also been rising - culminating in Craig's three swap offers in a row recently. Not all of these additions have been a good thing. We could probably do with a Deal or No Deal poll - "When did DonD 'Jump the Shark'?" - we might get some interesting answers!! :lol:

I wouldn't have liked to have been put in Richard's position at all. Granted, it makes for good TV and gives added drama and creates conflict, posing several moral dilemmas and a "What would you do?" discussion at home, but its just not something I feel comfortable with seeing on Deal or No Deal.

Whether it will be good or bad for viewing figures remains to be seen. I've been losing interest in DonD now for quite some time truth be told, and am beginning to think that maybe yes, the format maybe only does have a certain shelf-life before becoming stale. You can't blame C4 or Endemol for trying to milk their golden cow dry before audiences dry away completely - it probably does need some new ideas to keep people interested. It pains me to say this, but I really can't see DonD going the distance like "Countdown". And I don't even like "Countdown"! :roll: ;)

Favourite contestants:

50 Shows Lucy, £20 Gerry

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:02 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

daniel4389 wrote:
I think my main problem, as I said earlier, is that Richard would have had no possible way of expecting this to happen. He'd presumably seen that 200+ shows had aired before he applied, giving people the chance to win life-changing money without having to face the dilemma that he did, and would have had no reason to expect that his game would be any different. It would be naive to think you could get through a job, or any important aspect of life, without ever suffering any strains or pressures in relationships, but it's not necessarily what you'd expect from appearing on a TV gameshow.

On the contrary, I think that anybody who'd seen The Banker's offers to Garvan, to Geordie, to Vanessa, to Simone, etc. etc. is perfectly aware that The Banker can be cruel. And whilst I accept that Richard wouldn't have seen the games of Ned, the Christmas games, or Craig's recent game, it's probably reasonable to assume that he was at least aware that more unusual things were starting to happen with the game. Certainly the players are aware that anything they say or do may be used against them -- as reported in The Guardian's October article. I'd say that any player nowadays who expects an easy ride is the one being naive.

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:03 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Welldone Richard! :D

Amidala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:07 am    Author: Amidala    Post subject:

James1978 wrote:
I was thinking of Geordie and Janelle, but yes, you can add Kelly as well. :)

I know other contestants have said uncomplementary things about all three now come to think of it.

Why, what did they say?

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:57 am    Author: James1978    Post subject:

About Geordie, I think there was opposition from other contestants about him being on Screw The Banker or so I heard (and in a thread that asked "Whose games would you like to see again, Geordie listed everyone from when he was there, saying they were all top people, but there were 6 or 7 noticable gaps)....

Pennie made her feelings known about Janelle in not so many words, and Spiky Sandra was basically very disapproving of Kelly selling her story.

In all honesty, contestants must on average meet 40-odd others during their stay, I'm amazed there hasn't been more friction - it's hard to get on with EVERYOBDY....

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

RdotR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:34 am    Author: RdotR    Post subject:

didnt enjoy this show, banker/endemoles actions were just urgh.

[ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]