Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:29 pm Last visit was: Tue May 14, 2024 6:29 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rico7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:01 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
Really sad that he didn't win more, but a surprisingly
uplifting game despite the bad luck!
Glad he didn't win the fiver at least.
Ken was a great contestant. :D :-D

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:06 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Welldone Ken, I'm sorry that it wasn't a brilliant game in terms of money but you should feel honoured to be the first person to win the £750! Welldone you were a great contestant and you gave us an entertaining game! :D

JamesR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:07 pm    Author: JamesR    Post subject:

Very entertaining game indeed. Well done on £750 - I didn't think Ken would win even that much after round 1.

Thanks Ken!

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:15 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

welldone ken, second worst start ever, but you actually beat the banker in some respects - the last offer before you won £750 was less than what you won! wow, there were only 3 offers higher, so i suppose it wasnt that bad to win £750! 8)

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Tugger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:27 pm    Author: Tugger    Post subject:

Poor Ken, I wish it had been more

But, its still the first £750 winner!

22identicalboxes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:37 pm    Author: 22identicalboxes    Post subject:

Well done Ken, you're the first person to win £750! :)

justcause110

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:15 pm    Author: justcause110    Post subject:

Well done on winning £750 Ken!

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:34 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

Sorry folks, but I have one or two corrections to make.

daniel123 wrote:
welldone ken, second worst start ever

In terms of money removed from the board there have been seven worse opening rounds.

mtugby wrote:
I think that's the second worst final 8

the worst final 8 was Raj (2) I think

Raj did have the worst final eight so far, but Ken only ranks fifth in that list.

greeny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:44 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

Hi all, from Club de Oura Praia here on the southern coast of Portugal. I´ve taped the games this week to watch when I return next Sunday. Weather has been iffy here, but it´s been nice and warm.

I´m surprised to see Ken play today, but there aren´t many long runners so an early one was due. I hope you enjoy the rest of this week´s shows and I may come on later in the week, but if not, I´ll be back next Sunday.

Power5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:45 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

Shame he didn't win more, but good to see him get something worthwhile after a terrible start, and he was clearly just there to play the game. And had the honour of founding a new club as well!

It was a bit of an illustration of why DOND wouldn't really have worked as a low-budget show on the BBC or in the pre-Millionaire era though - when there's nothing more than £10k left the offers won't be significant enough for most people to do anything but no-deal to the end, which might please some people like Wakey and Aaron but for the rest of us it would get a bit crap and predictable after a while!

Ian W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:47 pm    Author: Ian W    Post subject:

Well done Ken you kept smiling throughout the game :D

TicTac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:03 pm    Author: TicTac    Post subject:

MisterAl wrote:
Sorry folks, but I have one or two corrections to make.

daniel123 wrote:
welldone ken, second worst start ever

In terms of money removed from the board there have been seven worse opening rounds.

mtugby wrote:
I think that's the second worst final 8

the worst final 8 was Raj (2) I think

Raj did have the worst final eight so far, but Ken only ranks fifth in that list.

I knew it wasn't the 2nd worst ever start, but I didn't realise it was actually only the 8th worst first round :shock:

I didn't get to see, but it sounded a very sad game. £750 isnt an awful sum of money to go away with anyway. 12 games = 4 days = £187.50 a day. Working on a game taking 2 hours to film thats £31.25 an hour.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:27 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

Oh dear, poor Ken, what a terrible game!

However, some positives: he gets to start a new club, so will be memorable for that, and £750 is at least weekend away money, so better than a poke in the eye with a pointed stick.

And also the fact that he had a bad board throughout, and accordingly low offers mean that he won't have gone home thinking "God, I turned down £xx,xxx and lost it" - his highest offer was only £3,000, which you wouldn't be too bothered about unless a couple of grand would make a big difference to you, I suppose as a retired company director, it wouldn't have to him - which was evident by his positive attitude! :)

He was never one box away from a big offer either (i.e. 1p Trevor).

Funny, that game didn't even come close to being as painful as Lisa's.

And Ken might actually be "Bill" in the article - the big win could be tomorrow or Wednesday, I really hope it's Jeff! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

greeny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

I know of one person there who wins 70,000 pounds due to a spoiler I got from someone.

Billy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject:

Yes, that's now two people who have spoiled that piece of information in this thread.

Could we please keep spoilers in spoiler threads? I know you didn't give the name of the guy (if it is a guy) who does, but it's still a spoiler.

Suzanne Akers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:35 pm    Author: Suzanne Akers    Post subject:

Gutted Ken! Wanted you to win enough to have your trip to Jamaica.

You deserved so much more!

GAC1984

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:44 pm    Author: GAC1984    Post subject:

Poor Ken very unlucky. £750 is better than £5.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

What a truly awful game... but well done Ken for taking it so well... you're a great fellow, enjoy the £750. Like you suggested, go to Sidmouth with your wife and have a good weekend! :D

Haha, I noticed Jeff's "Break a leg" phrase was drowned out by all the cheering during the quickie round!

Last edited by h2005 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:15 am    Author: James1978    Post subject:

Power5 wrote:
Shame he didn't win more, but good to see him get something worthwhile after a terrible start, and he was clearly just there to play the game. And had the honour of founding a new club as well!

It was a bit of an illustration of why DOND wouldn't really have worked as a low-budget show on the BBC or in the pre-Millionaire era though - when there's nothing more than £10k left the offers won't be significant enough for most people to do anything but no-deal to the end, which might please some people like Wakey and Aaron but for the rest of us it would get a bit crap and predictable after a while!

Not sure about that actually, I think expectations have a lot to do with it. In this format, a modest win of a grand or two, while not a disaster, is seen as a pretty poor result, in the context of what can be won. As a result, most people won't have any qualms about no-dealing as they won't feel too bad losing it. However, in a BBC/90s format, if, for instance, 10k or 20k is the top prize, a a few grand would actually be a good win! Most of the offers would be in hundreds and not thousands! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

daniel4389

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:38 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Urgh, what a *beep* game. Ken was a great character who should have won a lot but the big money was just never there...I think his game's broken the record for "lowest maximum amount possible", if that makes sense, "beating" Tracey's peak offer of £3,600. (Alan had the lowest peak offer, £2,500, but he could have won £5k if he'd taken his own box.)

But hurrah for founding the £750 club!!! Have all the blue amounts been won now, then, or is there one more to go? ;)

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]