Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:58 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
lisa wrote:
Steve, computer novice here. How do you edit previous text and then reply to it, like you did with my posting?

If you click the "Quote" button next to the post you want to include, and then you'll see the message inside the quote tags. You can then edit whatever you like inside the quote tags :-)

lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:59 pm    Author: lisa    Post subject:

You did the right thing - dont let anyone tell you otherwise. When you see a game go so pear shaped, you have to try to make sure that it doesnt happen to you. You were never going to get mega offers because you so unuckily took out the top 2. :-D

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:03 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Welldone! I think that was the right deal for you, and hey I wouldn't turn down £6,000 if it was offered on a plate! ;-) Have a lovely wedding and enjoy every penny!

lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:03 pm    Author: lisa    Post subject:

If you click the "Quote" button next to the post you want to include, and then you'll see the message inside the quote tags. You can then edit whatever you like inside the quote tags :-)[/quote]

Oh, isn't it easy when you know how. Thanks very much. Just goes to prove, you are never too old to learn!!!

lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:05 pm    Author: lisa    Post subject:

I spoke too soon! Why didnt i have a white box like everyone else. Sorry to be so thick! :-D

lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:05 pm    Author: lisa    Post subject:

lisa wrote:
I spoke too soon! Why didnt i have a white box like everyone else. Sorry to be so thick! :-D

i have mastered it. :lol:

Thank you!

Last edited by lisa on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:06 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

lisa wrote:

:-D I think you deleted the
Code:
[quote="Steve"]
bit out of the first bit of the message :)

Last edited by Steve on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:07 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

lisa wrote:
lisa wrote:

Thank you!

Congratulations :lol: :lol: :-D

flash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm    Author: flash    Post subject:

Anyway - I would just like to say thank you to everyone for being so warm, welcoming and interested.

Kestral, this is a great community you have here and I'm very pleased to be part of it :)

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:10 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

And here comes the "Tell your friends!" line :lol:

I agree, kestral does a great job especially since it's actually costing him to build a community for other people like us.

lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:11 pm    Author: lisa    Post subject:

Steve wrote:
lisa wrote:
lisa wrote:

Thank you!

Congratulations :lol: :lol: :-D

Cheeers - see, i am an expert now!!!!

No Deal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:39 pm    Author: No Deal    Post subject:

CONGRATULATIONS, Flash! Well done on a good game, and beating the Banker! Enjoy the money and have a FANTASTIC wedding! I still think you should have used the windsock/donut method though. ;)

:D

KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Welcome Flash and congratulations on snatching good money from a bad board :)

You may have heard about Bother's Bar, another site providing commentary (usually with lots of statistics involved)... I'm one of the commentators and statisticians there, and I have to say you made a justifiable decision. Not necessarily what I - or most people - would have done, but looking at our statistics that offer was very much in deal territory for a cautious player.

I'd personally have offered £5,000 instead of £3,000, and £7,000 instead of £8,400... would have kept the themes going and would probably have more reasonably reflected the board at each stage.

You did indeed beat the Banker. The Bother's Bar definition of beating the Banker is selling the box for more than its value and for more than 50% of the highest offer, and you did that. Bear in mind that at least half the players don't manage that, and you can feel a lot better about your game :)

flash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:40 pm    Author: flash    Post subject:

KP wrote:
Welcome Flash and congratulations on snatching good money from a bad board :)

Thanks KP! It was a strange game, and quite frustrating in that the big money never materialised. Means that the records for runs of 5 digit deals are equalled but not beaten :(

But it was never there, so I can't be too upset. I think I beat the banker, and everyone there did too, so it helped me feel better!

Thanks very much for your comment.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:22 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

flash wrote:
Do you REALLY think I would have been offered £8400 after round 5?

My dodgy attempts at statistical analysis says that this isn't so unreasonable an offer.

(Warning: the remainder of this post contains mathematics. Read on at your own risk.)

£8400 was 75.3% of the mean of the remaining amounts at that time. So far, out of the 81 broadcast games that were still in play at deal-of-five, 22 of those games saw a more generous offer.

The average offer at this stage for an in-play game works out at 58.3%-of-the-mean, with a standard deviation of 21.9. Your offer of 75.3%-of-the-mean is within one standard deviation of the mean, which as any statistician will tell you gives no reason at all to doubt its validity.

In fact, in terms of what's happened in games so far, the £3000 hypothetical offer at deal-of-eight is more unusual. That was just 18.4%-of-the-mean. Only eight of the 110 in-play offers at that stage so far have been less generous.

The average in-play deal-of-eight offer so far is 43.0%-of-the-mean, with a standard deviation of 18.7. Your offer there was around 1.3 times the standard deviation away from the mean; a much less common occurrence.

Sorry for all that maths, but seeing as though you impressively stated that 1 is not a prime number today I thought you may appreciate it. Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you didn't continue choosing the remaining prime numbers (boxes 2, 5 and 17) through round 2?

JamesR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:22 pm    Author: JamesR    Post subject:

flash wrote:
But it was never there, so I can't be too upset. I think I beat the banker, and everyone there did too, so it helped me feel better!

Yeah, I think it was a bit unfair of the banker to claim he'd won because he 'saved money'. All things considered, he sold the box for more than what it contained, so 'saving money' doesn't come into it. I certainly reckon you beat the banker Flash, and well done on a great game!

flash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:13 am    Author: flash    Post subject:

MisterAl wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you didn't continue choosing the remaining prime numbers (boxes 2, 5 and 17) through round 2?

No... I had planned to do that for rounds 1 AND 2... but my brain went fuzzy when I was sitting there....

I was just glad I didnt merit Noel writing 1 2 and 3 on my hand!

MisterAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:29 am    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

Ah right. I'm not sure it'd have made much difference anyway. If I'm right, boxes 2, 5 and 17 contained two blues and a mid-red, whereas the square numbers you actually chose also revealed two blues and a mid-red.

(I really should work hard on making my posts here more entertaining and less, er, factual.)

Smiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:38 am    Author: Smiler    Post subject:

TBH there was no way I would of dealt at £6K, but then I wasn't sitting in the chair :lol:

Flash, we have seen people not deal and walk away with a lot less. As it happens you did a good deal.

You wanted £6K for your wedding and you remained focused on that. Well done.

Jeremy Kyle's Dad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:48 am    Author: Jeremy Kyle's Dad    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

To be honest Flash, I found you very boring.

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]