Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:14 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:14 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

MsM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:24 pm    Author: MsM    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

Warnings: 0
Glad I managed to catch that from the first ad break on +1 I was looking forward to his game and it played out wonderfully. Well done Roop.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special
Administrator & Global Moderator

Wow... loads of players have indicated that they'd take big gambles during their game but have ended up with bad luck. Whilst some of them have been lucky enough to win Power 5 sums (through mathematically correct gambles or otherwise), I'd say Roop's the first one to come across as someone willing to take big risks, have the board to match, take mathematically correct gambles AND win the £250k.

He was obviously a key part of the group and well-respected by the other players (was he the 'daddy' of the group?) so it's nice to see him leave with the jackpot.

A massive congratulations to him!

Oni-91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 pm    Author: Oni-91    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

Mark wrote:
Big mistake!

I'd expect he was VERY tempted of saying deal there.

In all seriousness though, to basically be stiffed by the banker the whole way through and end up with the best non-insane prize on the show is pretty much beautiful, beautiful justice.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

£46k wasn't that far off the offer that 1,000th show Lisa got on a similar 2-box finish. It might have got some people out the chair but it was either a calculated risk gone wrong or an attempt to get the first mega-money win since box 23's introduction.

Just a shame that Box 23 didn't have NOTHING in today (I wonder if they have a few extra confetti cannons that they don't set off for a QM win in the unlikely event we ever get a £500k winner)

Either way, a great show (even though sadly social networking meant that between finishing work at 5pm and getting home, I was unable not to find out about the result).

Last edited by Simon F on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:59 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

cfd wrote:
I was at the dream factory a few weeks ago but sat in such a place I couldn't see the 250k winner count.

I'm now glad of this!

And nice to see someone win who throughout has said her to for it and then actually did.

If that were me, I'd have made sure I got a look at the tote board on my way out :D

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

WOW... WHAT A BEARD! :shock:

Ahem... Yeah, not a bad game was it! :lol: I was aware of Roop's win in part due to the results board visible in future recordings of course, but I often presume with JP winners they have significant back-up to win it. So, 2 things surprised me about this; that it occurred from a blue/250k finish, and that the final offer was so low statistically to a player I felt sure the banker would respect more.

Inevitably, I got flashbacks of Welsh Tony's game that I saw live a few years ago - the same finish, but a vastly different offer of £72k, dealt with £250k on the table. What might have been... But no complaints about his decision, no complaints about Roop's one today.

Deservedly rewarded, and perhaps this has been the best matching of a player willing to take risks on a board that to a large extent invited it! But perhaps they didn't 'trust' how good a match it really was - Roop would probably have turned down more generous offers (that a lot of players these days probably wouldn't), but the opportunity to *ensure* the drama played out to the end was too great, and you can't really blame the producers from that point of view.

After all, what's the general consensus on the wings going to be from this? Probably that he took "significant risks" and happened to prosper from it. It's just their calibration of risk/reward is probably less than the typical stats-minded player. Whether they view the final few gambles as "reckless" or not will be crucial as to whether it affects things... and the fact only 2 players didn't switch their lights on at £46k (or before) would seem to indicate it won't have a huge impact.

A shame, as Roop played the game perfectly statistically. :smt023

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:19 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

I was reading through this thread while sitting on a bench in the cold on Brentwood High Street, waiting for a pizza. I'd been at work all day and had barely checked FB & Twitter. Everyone's comments on how quickly the game was going made me keep reading, and the offers seemed quite low even though the board was very precarious. I was thinking "Oh, he'll probably take a generous offer at 2-box or something..." ...Nope, I know £46k is a good sum of money but it wasn't generous for that final 2 (still more generous than what Laura was offered with a £3k bacup though!). Wasn't too surprised when he turned it down... for the £250k to be revealed in his box though was a very pleasant surprise! :D

Hang on a minute, I then thought, does box 23 have something to do with the lack of pre-broadcast hints... Was quite relieved Roop turned that down, and it was s*d's law that the Double option turned out to be in there for the second day in a row. Thankfully it doesn't sound like they dwelled on that too much - it's worth remembering that Roop had the same odds of losing £250k on box 23 as he had of gaining that amount again. With the holiday to boot, he now joins Suzanne as the show's biggest ever winner!

Will the game encourage more risk-taking among players? It's hard to say. It might encourage more players to go another round on a good board, but precarious boards are another matter, and Roop had a very precarious board throughout, and a lot of players in that game would be worried about crashing from a 5-figure sum to a blue. Going back to Laura, if the £500 had been a lowish red, a few more players might have been tempted to go on.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:36 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

Here are some more reasons why Roop's win was historic.

-Oldest jackpot winner. Everyone else was under 30; Roop is apparently 54.
-First contestant of South Asian origin to accomplish the feat.
-First jackpot winner of the Box 23 era.
-Second contestant to win the jackpot during a themed week.
-Received the second-lowest offer at 2-box. Laura's final offer was just £1,000 lower.
-Best beard the game has ever seen. Sorry, Edmonds, but your beard has nothing on Roop's ;).

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:43 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

Hawker5ive wrote:

-Received the second-lowest offer at 2-box. Laura's final offer was just £1,000 lower.
-Best beard the game has ever seen. Sorry, Edmonds, but your beard has nothing on Roop's ;).

Second winner to have a show transmitted during an Olympic Games (after Nong's game in 2012)

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:02 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

Simon F wrote:
Hawker5ive wrote:

Second winner to have a show transmitted during an Olympic Games (after Nong's game in 2012)

Also the first jackpot winner NOT to get the maximum out of their game. :P

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

FergusSiraLexon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 pm    Author: FergusSiraLexon    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

He now holds the record for being the biggest ever loser.

Nobody has ever gone away with as much as £250,000 less than they could've won if they kept on opening boxes in live play.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:35 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

Anyone know if he's on Facebook / Twitter ?

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:52 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special
Forum Games Moderator

Mark wrote:
Anyone know if he's on Facebook / Twitter ?

Don't be a stalker.

:eyes:

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:54 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

That £46k had to be a joke offer no wonder he went for it, well done Roop lad :smt023

rico7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:00 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

You always felt that while the 250K was on the table Roop was going to go for it given his advice to other contestants and lack of turning on the red light in the wings!
I wonder how tempted he was by Box 23. The combo of having 250K and the double is a 1 in 110 chance, but it would take an exceptionally courageous or reckless player to go for the half million!

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:29 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

rico7 wrote:
It would take an exceptionally insane and/or reckless player to go for the half million!

Quoted for truth. :smt023

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:50 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special
Forum Games Moderator

American Coupon Boy wrote:
rico7 wrote:
It would take an exceptionally insane and/or reckless player to go for the half million!

Quoted for truth. :smt023

For once, I agree with you... sdgthju :P

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Brick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:12 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

FergusSiraLexon wrote:
He now holds the record for being the biggest ever loser.

Nobody has ever gone away with as much as £250,000 less than they could've won if they kept on opening boxes in live play.

Well if that's the case, it's only £5k more than what Colin from last November missed out on (undersold his box by £245k), and I think it's fair to say Roop doesn't have nearly as many regrets as he did!

adamus4567

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 pm    Author: adamus4567    Post subject: Re: 12/02 Roop - Love HQ Love Week Special

Yeah, congrats to Roop :)

Btw can somebody remove photo with Nong from the main site and replace it with Roop's? There was two quarter millionaires after her!

[ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]