Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:42 am Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 3:42 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Skyline wrote:
Boy, that was tiring. I hope it wasn't too bad, and if everyone doesn't want me to do a commentary again, I understand. :P

Thank you for commentating, and a good first effort! :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:02 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

Great commentary Skyline! :smt023

Fan of classic rock and metal

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:03 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special
Forum Games Moderator

Thank you. Uncle Desmond was a bit of a pain, but when he left to eat his apple strudel, it was a lot easier to follow the game! :D

Archstered

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

BankerSpanker wrote:
Do they seriously only give 10p to charity? Come on, even Pointless gives at least £500!

As evil as this sounds, I'm glad the charity don't get anything extra, it makes it more pure... unlike "Other gameshows"...

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:15 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special
Forum Games Moderator

You truly are worse than the Boogeyman himself. :smt011

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:24 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special
Forum Games Moderator

Skyline wrote:
In some hotels in Hong Kong, there's no room 13 or even floor 13.

That's it. I'm emigrating to Hong Kong. Not this year, though, because it's 2013. Next year is better. :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:26 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special
Forum Games Moderator

There's still floor 3...

and probably room 3, 23, 33, 133, 233, 333... 3333... 3333333333333333333333333333...

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:38 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

The cynic in me did wonder a bit why this game wasn't given the overblown trailer treatment that JLS got... but I still hoped for a decent money result. Sadly, not to be... :(

Thought Gok came across quite well there, smart and funny, and I'm sure he will have changed a lot of people's opinions drawn from his fashion shows. This is what I like about Deal, that it reveals hidden depths of character.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:29 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

Good commentary. I know how difficult it is, especially if you are distracted and there's lots of stuff going on in the show. You even commented on the adverts :smt023

"Curse of the celebrity" That surely can't be a new dondism? Anyway, hindsight and all that about dealing at 17box, but that wasn't ever going to happen.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

Well, this was upsetting. At least it wasn't 1p.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:38 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

So, let me get this straight...

A prominent celebrity plays the game for charity, and then proceeds to win only 10 cents. And then the charity receives this amount.

Something is incredibly wrong here. No one can do anything with 10 cents, let alone a charity. The celebrities should be guaranteed at least £1,000, lest something like this happen.

What a pathetic, waste of a game. And by the sounds of it, everyone agrees with this assessment.

I've never heard of Gok Wan, but he gets zero respect from me for this performance. Absolutely shameful.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:45 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

Hawker5ive wrote:

A prominent celebrity plays the game for charity, and then proceeds to win only 10 cents. And then the charity receives this amount.

Something is incredibly wrong here. No one can do anything with 10 cents, let alone a charity. The celebrities should be guaranteed at least £1,000, lest something like this happen.

What a pathetic, waste of a game. And by the sounds of it, everyone agrees with this assessment.

I've never heard of Gok Wan, but he gets zero respect from me for this performance. Absolutely shameful.

That's normally the case in every other UK gameshow with a celebrity version for charity but given that the Banker hates charity, story-wise why should he give players £1,000.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:02 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special
Forum Games Moderator

Hawker5ive wrote:

Right, Mark. So Gok, who plays a random game of luck in which the points don't matter - as you and I have both stated - and wins ten pence, is at fault for his luck turning rapidly against him in this game.

I agree completely regarding the charity - if a game like this is to be played for their benefit, they should be guaranteed a certain amount which makes the celebrity partaking in the show worth their while for being advertised to a few thousand viewers. 10p won't cut the mustard. It won't benefit them at all. When something like this happens, it makes me, rather cynically but not without some plausibility, think that the whole thing is a charade played out to rake in a few thousand more viewers and some more cash for Endemol - that the charity doesn't matter in all of this, to Endemol at least.

But to have zero respect for Gok is rather a dramatic take on this. He wanted to be of some help to a charity (yes, while also bolstering his own public image, but let's assume the charity meant more to him). It's in no way his fault that he won 10p.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:56 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

Hawker5ive wrote:

And thus Hawker5ive has reverted to Mad Mark. Sigh. I do not like this.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:23 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

Okay first up, while i am aware of Gok Wan the only thing I think I've actually seen him in before are those Activia (?) adverts. That said i thought he came across quite well here, very personable and determined to play the game even in the face of adversity.

Really there was nothing Gok could have done, once the game started to get away from him he just couldn't claw anything back and I certainly don't blame him for going all the way.

Yes 10p is hardly worth it in donation terms but I think Channel 4 make up for that by giving the cause plenty of publicity, both in the show itself and on the website. Most other shows only really allow the celebs to namecheck their charity once at the end of the show and in some cases only if they get through to the final. Pointless Celebrities may well give £500 to each couples charities but only if the finalists fail to win the jackpot and even then 6 of those charities will go unnamed.
At least with DOND viewers moved by the game or the cause can easily make their own donations, in fact in some respects a bad game like Gok's may be more beneficial in raising viewer donations

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:12 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Gok Wan - Celebrity Special

Saperogo wrote:
Hawker5ive wrote:

And thus Hawker5ive has reverted to Mad Mark. Sigh. I do not like this.

Look, when stuff needs saying, I don't tiptoe around it. I take the risk and say it. Doesn't always do me any favours, though. Never really has, has it?

It's hard to base things on luck when the contestant is in charge of every decision made in the game. I've never thought of this as a game of luck. Rather, I see it as simply a game where people either win lots of money or don't.

I still think it's a pretty poor move on the show's part to allow celebrity players to have games like this. A guarantee of some small amount of money would be great because if everything went to hell as it did here, at least there would something to fall back on, thus avoiding the embarrassment of saying, "Yeah, I played for a charity, and all I got for them was a incredibly impressive 10 cents. Think of all the wonderful things they can do with that."

No one's ever going to agree with my opinions. That's fine. I just put them out there to create some talking points. All message boards work like that. And if it turns you into haters, that's fine too. It's your call, and always will be. I'm not going to tell you what to do because that's wrong.

I continue to stand my ground. Always have, always will.

I'm too old for this crap...

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]