Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 am Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Joel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:52 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

Warnings: 0
Stats after Round 6
Offer: £3,000
Mean: £7,500.01
Fair Deal: £3,756.13
Board total: £15,000.01

Board
1p
£15,000

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:52 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

Noel pulls the seal (while singing) on Kelvin's Box 1 and reveals £15,000

Alice with Box 11 has the 1p

Fan of classic rock and metal

manred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Author: manred    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

good win depite the poor singing

Saperogo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:58 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

JoelDavies wrote:
Charles wrote:
JoelDavies wrote:
Charles wrote:
JoelDavies wrote:
All Ste seems to have is power 5 amounts... NOT good when he is due to play! :?

Why is that not good when he is due to play?

As I have said before and it is a mathematical fact, having the same amount in your box 2/3/4 games in a row is a VERY low chance.

And I argued against your point and you did not reply to it.

You had no reason to argue against it, I didn't bother replying to it because of this. It IS a mathematical fact...

Actually, you're confusing two different things.

For the sake of argument, let's say all we care about is having the power 5. For a single game, there is a 5/22 = 22.7% chance of having a power 5 figure in your box. If you take four games at random, but especially without knowing what was in the box for each game, there is a (5/22)^4 = 0.27% chance of having power 5 figures in each of those four boxes.

However, say you take four consecutive games at random and you know that you had power 5 figures in the first three of those games. The chances of having power 5 figures in all four of those games is now the chance of having a power 5 figure in game 4: 5/22 = 22.7%. Why so high? Because you know what you had the first three games, so it no longer plays a factor into the chances calculation.

If three days ago you had predicted four consecutive power 5 figures, the probability of that happening would've been 0.27%. But to predict a fourth consecutive power 5 figure after having it three times is now 22.7%.

To throw this into the probabilistic notation I learned in my probability class:
P(power 5 figures in four games) = 0.27%.
P(power 5 figures in four games | power 5 figures in the first three) = 22.7%.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:59 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin
Global Moderator

Didn't see much of today's show, but a very good result considering some of what we've seen lately. :smt023 And I very much doubt the 5th offer would've gone up.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:07 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin
International Forums Moderator

Most significant part of this game? Return of the inflated proveout offer. Maybe, just maybe, Glenn does want to snap this run after all.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

MsM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:09 pm    Author: MsM    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

hogwild94 wrote:
Didn't see much of today's show, but a very good result considering some of what we've seen lately. :smt023 And I very much doubt the 5th offer would've gone up.

I was sure it'd be a stick.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:14 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

Kelvin, Kelvin, Kelvin............................

Congratulations for knowing know to extract a big offer out of the Banker and SENSIBLY Deal it. :smt023 :smt023 :smt026 :smt026 :banana: :banana:

He made it clear to the Banker that he wasn't going to take the super derisory offers he has been making lately, forcing him to actually make a GOOD offer for a change. And dealing it was very sensible as odds were that 1 of the Top 2 would go in the next round and the offer wouldn't go up much even if it was the £250,000. Excellent Dealing, Kelvin.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

MsM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 pm    Author: MsM    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

American Coupon Boy wrote:
Kelvin, Kelvin, Kelvin............................

Congratulations for knowing know to extract a big offer out of the Banker and SENSIBLY Deal it. :smt023 :smt023 :smt026 :smt026 :banana: :banana:

He made it clear to the Banker that he wasn't going to take the super derisory offers he has been making lately, forcing him to actually make a GOOD offer for a change. And dealing it was very sensible as odds were that 1 of the Top 2 would go in the next round and the offer wouldn't go up much even if it was the £250,000. Excellent Dealing, Kelvin.

Who are you and what have you done with ACB?

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:16 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

MsM wrote:
Who are you and what have you done with ACB?

Again, what I hated about many of the Deals in this period is that so many were for HORRIBLE offers for the board, which wasn't the case today. Had he dealt, say, the £10,000 that the Banker would offer the average cautious player on that board in this era, I'd definitely bring out the rolling eyes (as he wouldn't have squandered enough money for me to do an IF ONLY moment). He played the game the game how ALL players in this era should have, not giving the Banker too many hints that he was cautious and enough hints that he would not take a ridiculously derisory offer.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Brick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:07 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin

Interesting that Kelvin and Cindy had the same offers at 8-box and 5-box, yet their boards were very different!

The singing bits got a bit tiresome after a while, although they did at least provide a bit of comic relief during the tense fourth round.

£26k at 5-box maybe was a bit inflated - I could just about believe the offer going up a little as it would have been a brave move turning down that £19k offer, but a £7k jump seemed unlikely.

Finally, for those mentioning Ste having a lot of big numbers - at the end of the day, when Ste's game arrives, he'll have first pick of the balls, so he's just as likely to choose another big red as he is a low blue.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:21 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 26/07 Kelvin
International Forums Moderator

And he still would if he didn't! :D

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]