Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:59 pm Last visit was: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:59 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Charles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 pm    Author: Charles    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

Warnings: 0
Mad Mark wrote:
Today's act of stupidity really does make me believe that the next jackpot winner truly will be crowned in 2097.

However, it has also forced me to make this offer to the entire forum: If someone wins the £250,000 before 2097, then I will personally buy a round of drinks for anyone interested at the pub of your choosing if I ever visit England - and I am seriously looking into doing so within the next five years. Obviously, it should be somewhere centrally located, as you are all from different cities or towns.

I am dead serious about this offer. I want someone to go all the way and score the most epic of wins. Enough of these terrible offers and embarrassment via underselling. Someone needs to win the £250,000 again, and I care not about what gender that person is.

So, my friends, are you ready for the question? Deal or No Deal?

For someone sensible to go all the way they need to have the board to go all the way, and it was not there today. The board meant she should have gone another round but after that it would be quite a reckless gamble to decline the offer made at two-box.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:07 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

I don't know which was worse, this Sara's game or her namesake from the early days

hogwild94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:01 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara
Global Moderator

Charles wrote:
But the banker does not make the offer based on only the board but also on the player. So for her it was not a low offer at all, the banker pitched it perfectly and got her to deal. That just goes to show, the same board can bring very different offers because of the way that the player plays the game.

That's a good point, but, with all due respect, it still doesn't hide the fact that, statistically, it wasn't a very good offer, even if if it was enough to get her to deal. (It was over £10,000 below the Fair Deal).

I suppose the reason we are calling it a bad offer is because we think of the offer in relation to the stats of the board, rather than in relation to the player. Most of us, if we ever play the game, wouldn't have got her offers, as the Banker would like know they would be way too low for us to even consider dealing.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:21 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

Mad Mark wrote:
Today's act of stupidity really does make me believe that the next jackpot winner truly will be crowned in 2097.

However, it has also forced me to make this offer to the entire forum: If someone wins the £250,000 before 2097, then I will personally buy a round of drinks for anyone interested at the pub of your choosing if I ever visit England - and I am seriously looking into doing so within the next five years. Obviously, it should be somewhere centrally located, as you are all from different cities or towns.

I am dead serious about this offer. I want someone to go all the way and score the most epic of wins. Enough of these terrible offers and embarrassment via underselling. Someone needs to win the £250,000 again, and I care not about what gender that person is.

And yet when people DO go for it and the boxes don't work in their favour you call them stupid reckless idiots joining the pathetic club or whatever, so in other words make your bloody mind up!!!

You can't have one without the other.

Rant over.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

JohnBristol1966

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 am    Author: JohnBristol1966    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

well said James. its weird how poeople never post rants before the proveout, only when they know the result., something the players dont have the luxury of!

Backstage tour No2 27 May 2013 - Quiz Prize
Creator of the "Scream Ending" (1p/£250k finish)

sonicrules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 am    Author: sonicrules    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

The 8 box and 5 box offers were statistically poor, especially the 8 box one, would have needed to be 30k to make me think about it, great Banker play I must say, the minute she started talking about not having much money and her upbringing the Banker no doubt thought "I can get her cheap", she did herself no favours there, she was very down to earth, really liked her, especially the banter at the start, great TV, if you cant no deal that 5 box when CAN you no deal though? I reckon there's no more than one other person on the wings that would have dealt that board, guaranteed 3 grand, very likely to go home with 5 figures, not good, can excuse the 2 box deal I think, shame such a great board didnt happen for a more realistic rather than ultra cautious player! I'm sure she'll enjoy the money still but an extremely rare all red 5 box has gone begging there!

Rich: I'm not really sure what's going on, but could you give me a clear signal when you've won us some booze! lmao

Fave contestants: Joey and Siobhan (tied), Charly

Rossano, Wrighty and Morris

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 am    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

This is exactly why you should NEVER mention your financial problems on this show. The Banker will you use that to get you CHEAP!

Fan of classic rock and metal

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

Shame no family / friend was in the audience... as they may have told her to go on at five box.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:43 am    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

Mark wrote:
Shame no family / friend was in the audience... as they may have told her to go on at five box.

Sara said that she didn't want anyone in the audience because they might influence her. They probably would've told her to deal at £24k.

Fan of classic rock and metal

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:41 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara
International Forums Moderator

Sort of a weird thing to say, but it's good to see that the £250k is being sold from genuinely poor Deals like this one and Katie's. It's painful when someone takes a very good offer to find the jackpot on the table - it makes the Deal look bad even if it isn't. When it actually is a bad Deal, that concern doesn't apply.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

DanS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:18 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

I don't know what's more offputting, the reaction to this game or the reaction to Mariyams.

The bankers offer wasn't poor, because he doesn't make offers based purely on statistics. Stats mean nothing to him when he plays a psychologically blinder like that. He knew Sara was hesitant and cautious, and the offer reflected that. In that sense, it was actually a bloody brilliant offer.

Of course, I'm disappointed that she didn't go on, and it's not what I would have done. But if she's severely upset, she'll be wiping her tears on banknotes considering she just won a substantial amount of money.

Hard luck, but congratulations all the same to her.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:28 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

James1978 wrote:
Mad Mark wrote:

And yet when people DO go for it and the boxes don't work in their favour you call them stupid reckless idiots joining the pathetic club or whatever, so in other words make your bloody mind up!!!

You can't have one without the other.

Rant over.

1. I can say what I want, to an extent. You just have too short of a fuse. Chill out, dude. It's just an opinion.

2. Everyone's getting free drinks courtesy of me when the next jackpot winner is crowned. I would not complain about that, if I were you.

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

Mad Mark wrote:
1. I can say what I want, to an extent. You just have too short of a fuse. Chill out, dude. It's just an opinion.

2. Everyone's getting free drinks courtesy of me when the next jackpot winner is crowned. I would not complain about that, if I were you.

Well I'm sorry but I get extremely annoyed when contestants get abused or called stupid or whatever just becuase they have made the wrong decision. How would you like it if you were in their shoes? It's not big and it's not clever, and it's so easy to judge from behind a computer screen.

If you want someone to go for it and win the jackpot then great, that's perfectly understandable, but then don't diss the people who DO go for it and it doesn't come off (such as Mariyam) - becuase then it comes over as being extremely hypocritical.

:(

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: 18/07 Sara

Charles wrote:
Mark wrote:
Charles wrote:
Mark wrote:
killersbee wrote:
The 30 million mark would've been passed years ago if we had more jackpot winners, but anyways that's for another debate.

Exactly :smt023

You forget the other way too, if we had less reckless and foolish players like Gurpal.

BUT if he had the £250,000 the waiting would have finally been over.

Yes big if, and that does not in any way justify gambling £70K on a coin-flip. Stop thinking that the game is all about the £250K because it is not, £70K is life-changing money which Gurpal could have had if he had not been so reckless or greedy.

It is totally irrelevant to say that we could have had more jackpot winners because the players do not know what is in their box so not everyone who has it will win it. On the other hand we would have passed it sooner if players made sensible decisions based on the board, people going on when the odds are in their favour like Pauline, and stopping when they should like Gurpal.

who are you, the Anti-Mark? :)

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: 18/07 Sara

Charles wrote:
Mark wrote:
JohnBristol1966 wrote:
and what about Mariyam and countless others i could name???

Well she had a "feeling!" which sadly didn't pay off.

Agree except for the word sadly, I feel no sympathy for money chasers like her.

isn't being a money chaser the exact point of the game? Why go on there if you don't want to "Chase the Money"?

Chasing the money is the game so stop being such an anti-Mark

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:33 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: 18/07 Sara

BankerSpanker wrote:
Mark wrote:

Sara said that she didn't want anyone in the audience because they might influence her. They probably would've told her to deal at £24k.

indeed but then she goes and follows the advice of the wingers

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: 18/07 Sara

Only just watched the game as have been in holiday, checked the board and when I saw 100+ posts I wrongly assumed this was number 5!

Bugger

Charles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 pm    Author: Charles    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

beaker wrote:
Charles wrote:
Mark wrote:
JohnBristol1966 wrote:
and what about Mariyam and countless others i could name???

Well she had a "feeling!" which sadly didn't pay off.

Agree except for the word sadly, I feel no sympathy for money chasers like her.

isn't being a money chaser the exact point of the game? Why go on there if you don't want to "Chase the Money"?

Chasing the money is the game so stop being such an anti-Mark
beaker wrote:
Charles wrote:
Mark wrote:
Charles wrote:
Mark wrote:
killersbee wrote:
The 30 million mark would've been passed years ago if we had more jackpot winners, but anyways that's for another debate.

Exactly :smt023

You forget the other way too, if we had less reckless and foolish players like Gurpal.

BUT if he had the £250,000 the waiting would have finally been over.

Yes big if, and that does not in any way justify gambling £70K on a coin-flip. Stop thinking that the game is all about the £250K because it is not, £70K is life-changing money which Gurpal could have had if he had not been so reckless or greedy.

It is totally irrelevant to say that we could have had more jackpot winners because the players do not know what is in their box so not everyone who has it will win it. On the other hand we would have passed it sooner if players made sensible decisions based on the board, people going on when the odds are in their favour like Pauline, and stopping when they should like Gurpal.

who are you, the Anti-Mark? :)

Yes, you could call me the anti-Mark, but not quite true. Mark is always encouraging people to go on no matter what the state of the board is but I encourage sensible decisions based on the board.

Money chasing is not the exact point of the game, the point of the game is making sensible decisions to try and take the maximum out of the game. That means you should probably go on if the odds are in your favour, and stop if the odds are against you.

Mariyam recklessly chased the £250K, and even when she found it, she then went chasing the £50K as she did not have the sense to stop at £19K and avoid going away with a penny.

Last edited by Charles on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:40 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara
Global Moderator

Charles wrote:
Mariyam recklessly chased the £250K, and even when she found it, she then went chasing the £50K as she did not have the sense to stop at £19K and avoid going away with a penny.

Would you still be calling her a 'reckless chaser' if she'd won the £250,000? (Or the £50,000, for that matter)

I agree that her final no deal was pretty poor statistically, but, on the other hand, it would be quite hard to deal when an amount close to the peak (or more than it) is still available.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Charles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:46 pm    Author: Charles    Post subject: Re: 18/07 Sara

hogwild94 wrote:
Charles wrote:

Would you still be calling her a 'reckless chaser' if she'd won the £250,000? (Or the £50,000, for that matter)

I agree that her final no deal was pretty poor statistically, but, on the other hand, it would be quite hard to deal when an amount close to the peak (or more than it) is still available.

Yes, I would still be calling her a reckless money chaser unless she had the board to justify her decisions which she did not have. If she won £50K on her board it would be by pure luck and not because she made a good decision.

It was as if she could not accept that the round did not go her way, and then she desperately tried to get back to the peak of game by chasing the £50K, instead of just considering the offer in relation to the board.

[ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]