Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:35 am Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 3:35 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:07 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Warnings: 0
There's an interview with Rich up on the Official DOND Youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Gkq7jUU_g

Fan of classic rock and metal

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:13 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Just managed to watch that on 4OD without looking at this forum and any other DonD related site and thank god I didn't!

My emotions were torn somewhat between what KP is thinking and on the other hand I did really like Rich so in a way I wanted it to happen, especially to shut Noel up - I think most men who now keep it in play past 11-box might feel pressured on. And I sort of didn't want him to deal and have more in his box either, as even dealing an AMO £160k and having the £250k on the table wouldn't have been enough for some people :)

In all truth I thought the 5-box gamble was "worse" than the 2-box one becuase at least by 2-box he was guaranteed 50 grand. At 5-box he was guaranteed 50p.
:shock:

And I also didn't think it was as bad as Kerry Ann's 2-box decision either as the fallback here was much better.

Just all be glad it wasn't Margaret playing that game. ;-)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:22 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich
International Forums Moderator

I'm just glad that the £250k has never been won recklessly. In fact, nobody's even won it by turning down a 2-box offer of more than the FD, let alone the mean!!!

Yes, Holly, I wanted a blue win, because the worse the decision the more I want to see it backfire (and the same goes with stunningly cautious Deals too).

James, you said men who keep the £250k to the ADP might feel pressured into playing to the end; I'd personally say that was locked in not with this game, but with Paul's game. In fact, Paul's game could have been scripted by Endemol to goad such contestants on... On that note, I must say that I thought this game disproved the defense of Noel's occasional Wakeyism as Devil's Advocacy, because we saw absolutely none of that in this with a contestant whose intentions were very obvious from 17-box, only a rehash of the "11-box Deals usually fail" trope and frequent references to Rich potentially winning £250k. At no point did Noel cancel that out with a reality check, if I remember rightly.

Still, he's not the most undeserving winner of life-changing money on a game show this year. He's not even the most undeserving winner of life-changing money on an Endemol game show for Channel 4 this year!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:28 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich
Global Moderator

KP wrote:
Still, he's not the most undeserving winner of life-changing money on a game show this year. He's not even the most undeserving winner of life-changing money on an Endemol game show for Channel 4 this year!

Who's that then?

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

beaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:43 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: 06/02 Rich

If someone is going to win it then you have to take huge risks, hats off to him, but in order to win the £250k that was the board to do it.

You just can't win on here, if he had dealt at 2 box and had the £250k in the box he would have been slated.

He went on to try to win the ultimate prize and he gets slated!

Unbelievable!

I want a bloke to win the big money and only people who take big risks will get it, bad luck Rich but well done on the £50k

KP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:47 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich
International Forums Moderator

hogwild94 wrote:
KP wrote:

Who's that then?

The three contestants who won £150k+ on The Bank Job for, erm, losing in the final. Specifically Wayne because he was spectacularly lucky to make the final and spectacularly incompetent during it.

Beaker; I take your point, but I for one wouldn't have stopped slating him if he had won £250k (assuming I still had an Internet-enabled device left to use that I hadn't broken in a fit of rage at the outcome).

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:50 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich
Global Moderator

beaker wrote:
You just can't win on here, if he had dealt at 2 box and had the £250k in the box he would have been slated.

Exactly! James summed it up best a wee while back...

On Geoff's game's thread, James1978 wrote:
I think whatever you do you'll upset someone (even if you get an OPW some people will say it's a fluke)!!

These viewpoints pretty much sum up people's attitude to the results on this show.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:51 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Hard to point my thoughts on this game into words. I think most of what I think has been said already apart from the fact that Noel's curse of hyping up the first male QM still exists (even if today it didn't manifest itself until the last minute).

I definitely didn't agree with the last 2 decisions Rich made but you can't deny it was great TV (albeit for probably all the wrong reasons).

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

beaker wrote:

It's different people doing the slating than if he'd dealt even an AMO and had the biggie in his box though - I can't see anyone criticising one player for doing one thing then that same person criticising someone else for doing the exact OPPOSITE (unless it's KP who slates extreme decisions either way but not ones where it go easily go either way which to me is Ok) but you're dead right, some people will only be happy if the player gets the maximum out of the game no matter what. I don't think I've seen the same user say "Ha, reckless idiot should have dealt" about one contestant and "Stupid scaredy-cat should have gone on" about another, unless that user roots for the banker. ;-)

Nobody can please everyone all the time!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

I think ex-contestant Aaron (who got a similar generosity of first 2 offers) put it best on Twitter.

"I suppose it's logical to turn down an AMO (above mean offer) if you reason yo'll get another even-more-AMO. But you gotta take the £160k"

Myself I'd have gone by 11-box (which given that I had knew that the game wasn't going to collapse in the second half, was an honest decision even if I knew with hindsight it wasn't going to be the right one).

How I wish Rich had asked at 11-box, whether the banker knew if dealing at 11-box was more successful than dealing the next 3 offers or going to the end. Had he done that, I almost would have forgiven whatever he had done in the second half of the show (well apart from turning down £160k but I'd have almost have forgiven him for that)

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich
Administrator & Global Moderator

beaker wrote:

To be fair, I think most of the people who comment on here would have still criticised him, because of the fact he made mathematically illogical decisions (by turning down above-the-mean offers). There's only a few people on here (and seemingly loads on Twitter) who form their opinion of the player's decisions by using hindsight.

holly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:05 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Well KP, if you wanted a blue win then I guess that's fine.

In terms of what the banker said by the best game ever being played this week, and how he said Rich's game was not to be missed, some people still seem disatisfied. Yes Rich's game could have been a lot better but it was still good. The banker said that "the game" is to be broadcatsed this week. He did not say that Rich's was the game. There is still 5 more shows to be broadcast this week, so there could well be another epic win.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich
Global Moderator

I will admit now that I was a bit disturbed when Rich turned down that 85k so quickly. It was almost as if he just ignored it altogether, and had his eye set on the QM. I know this annoys some (Moxx of Balhoom in particular), but, to be fair, most players who do that have just been given a joke offer (in both senses of the term).

But turning down 85k so quickly when you could still win 50p was a bit too far, I think. At least, when Kevin quickly rejected his fifth offer so quickly, it was one that was arguable either way.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Actually I quite liked Rich, and while I'd question some of the decisions he made he made them based on a much stronger board than some players I could mention. Yes, I'm glad he didn't win the £250k but at the same time I'd rather see someone take that sort of gamble with £50k backup than a fiver.
The great irony is for me that based on their actions and comments on the wings this is the sort of gameplay i had expected from Helen while Rich I would have expected to be more focused on getting a spanking than chasing confetti

beaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:21 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: 06/02 Rich

I would have No Dealt the £85k but probably have dealt the £160k at 2 box but I don't see how anyone can criticise him for going on!

Perhaps the holy grail of being the first make QM was worth more to him than £110k and let's be honest £50k is a decent amount to come out of it with.

His decision was similar to Kirsty in season 1 who No Dealt c£150k and won £75k.

His speech at the end explained exactly why he did what he did, he was going to the end no matter what and I think you have to respect that

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:23 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

beaker wrote:
I would have No Dealt the £85k but probably have dealt the £160k at 2 box but I don't see how anyone can criticise him for going on!

Perhaps the holy grail of being the first make QM was worth more to him than £110k and let's be honest £50k is a decent amount to come out of it with.

His decision was similar to Kirsty in season 1 who No Dealt c£150k and won £75k.

His speech at the end explained exactly why he did what he did, he was going to the end no matter what and I think you have to respect that

Kirsty turned down £125k on a £250k/£75k finish (which is the kind of gamble even the most cautious of player would have taken on).

RMF1254

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:36 am    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Well, I'm one of those who don't think he was greedy.

At least, he was nowhere near as greedy as 1p Matty... :eyes: :eyes: ;) ;)

BTW, for those who don't already know what sort of tweets the Banker received after all of that, most of them were along the lines of "You lucky b****rd". :eyes: :eyes: ;) ;)

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:41 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

No he was absolutely NOT greedy. He played the game exactly the way it should be played.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:15 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Mark wrote:
No he was absolutely NOT greedy. He played the game exactly the way it should be played.

I don't think greed was a part of it. He was just a pure and simple confetti hunter. He should really thank his stars that he had £50k in his box and not 50p.

Out of interest, how high (if any) would the offer have to be on a £50k/£250k finish for you to deal. £170k? £180k? £200k? Mine is probably around £130k-£140k.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

On that finish I would always go for it, no matter what the offer is.

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]