Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

KP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:09 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
James1978 wrote:
I think Sharon in May 2010 was the last spanking from a third-round deal. I don't know why but I always feel happier when a third-round deal ends in a spanking rather than a box opening or a later deal, it's probably a warm sense of satisfaction given some of the flack people get for doing it. :)

It was (that game aired the day after the election, with the coalition negotiations having only just begun, so this is the first third-offer OPW since David Cameron became PM!). I totally agree with you on third-offer OPWs making me happier than others, it's that glorious sense of seeing Noel having to eat his words. :)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:15 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

And the only reason they don't work as often as they should is due to the banker being able to inflate a proveout offer after a middling round where he might have stuck or gone down slightly in active play. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

James1978 wrote:
And the only reason they don't work as often as they should is due to the banker being able to inflate a proveout offer after a middling round where he might have stuck or gone down slightly in active play. :)

Does anyone believe that 8-box offer would have even been 5-figures in live play (given they would have probably wanted to force him on to 5-box)?

Brony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:39 pm    Author: Brony    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

Third-deal offers always made for good shows! I was rooting for everypony that dealt at the third offer to get a well deserved spanking! :biggrin :smt059

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:33 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

The Banker to his credit pitched that third deal brilliantly, given the gap between the top 3 and the fallback he didn't have to go as high as £20k but for whatever reason he did.
From the way Baz was deliberating over the offer I did wonder if he might deal, or at least if he wanted to deal. I wasn't sure if the twist would lure him on though.
As it transpired though a perfectly timed exit which even the glory hunters cannot dismiss. I'm sure if it had backfired on hin there would people here ripping Baz to shreds for blowing it. A brilliant game.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:54 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

I don't know what was more of a shock in this game, Mark Olver's outfit or the fact that Baz dealt at the 3rd offer. I certainly didn't expect it sitting in the studio but it turned out to be the perfect decision - although with just over a 1 in 3 chance of keeping the top 3 in play to 8-box, it was unlikely he would have got the £30k+ offer then (although had he taken out just the £100k or £75k), the offer would have probably gone up.

I couldn't believe some pilgrims were suggesting gambling up to £2k for the twist (which I actually didn't mind today - at least unlike the people who paid for the catapult, the odds were in the player's favour today).

Having seen a couple of big power 5 wins, the purist in me was very happy to see the game go the way it did today.

willrelf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:39 am    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special
Forum Games Moderator

LOL always nice to see a player spank the banker from a third round deal, especially because of the reactions it provokes on here! :lol: I think most people would have played on because of the twist and the good board, but you have to congratulate Baz for getting out at the right time.

Everything happens for a reason.

No regrets.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:17 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

Indeed I would have played on. If I have had dealt (which is rare) I would NEVER deal the third offer.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:18 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

Mark wrote:
Indeed I would have played on. If I have had dealt (which is rare) I would NEVER deal the third offer.

Even if it was above the mean? :P

Fan of classic rock and metal

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:42 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special
Forum Games Moderator

BankerSpanker wrote:
Mark wrote:

Even if it was above the mean? :P

Even if it was above the mean (and fat chance it would) I'd still go on.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:51 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

Same here most probably.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:37 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

Mark wrote:
Same here most probably.

I presume people no dealing above the mean at 11 box would have struck a deal with the Banker that every other further offer would be as generous.

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:31 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special

Brick wrote:
Noel going on about firefighters being lucky. I can only think of £35k Matt from 2006 winning big (can anyone think of any others?). Unless he means not many of them have won blues.

Wasn’t 100k Gaz an ex-fireman?

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:56 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special
Forum Games Moderator

Some guy named Mike from September 2008 was a firefighter... I actually remember that game because it was the one where the three wakeyteers got perma-banned...

KP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:40 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Baz - Panto Christmas Special
International Forums Moderator

From reacting to a third-offer Deal, no less. ;)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]