Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

beaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

Warnings: 0
It was Claudio's fault, if he'd made different box choices he'd have received better offers

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:45 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

I always feel slightly uncomfortable coming on here after a game like Toni's because you the know the glory hunters & the schadenfreuders will be out in force crowing about how she should have gone and how she squandered big money.

For the record had i been in the audience for that show i would have been one of those people urging Toni to deal and i'd do it again in identical circumstances. Without the benefit of hindsight i do believe it was the right decision for her, a chance to clear her debts and walk away with a clean slate. Personally though i'm not sure how much family pressure or that from the audience & the wings actually influenced her decision, I'm inclined to think that if she had actually had the belief in her box which she claimed then no amount of persuasion could have deterred her from playing on. Yes, when put into perspective the waterworks were a little unneccessary but i imagine playing the game must be a very intense experience and that intensity can affect people in different ways. It's worth remembering Toni was crying as soon as her name was called so she probably would have bawled her eyes out at the end of her game whatever the outcome.

As for the hyposwap I personally maintain it is moot if both amounts left are higher than the amount dealt, the Banker's effectively won whatever the outcome so what purpose does it serve?

willrelf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:06 am    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni
Forum Games Moderator

I can totally understand why she dealt when she did but I would have played on, just about. I would have dealt £33,000 at 5-box and also £158,000 at 2-box as that was ridiculously generous! It's a shame she didn't remove the £250,000 in proveout as that would have helped greatly. It shouldn't really have been her game today considering she's only played 15 games, so a better result could have been achieved - equally though, she could have won a blue so maybe it was for the best. I think it's wrong of people to moan at her when she's won a good sum of money though - yes she could have won a lot more money, but based on her personal situation and the fact she didn't know what was in her box, the deal was right for her. It's easy enough when you've got hindsight on your side, but imagine if you were actually playing the game - it'd be a lot harder.

Everything happens for a reason.

No regrets.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:16 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

I would be fascinated to know whether when Noel decides to do his fake offer trick, it's something he decides to do or whether he's asked to do it by the production team.

dougal18

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:17 am    Author: dougal18    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

I felt the same way about Toni as I did about Rob. Enjoyment at their upset but sad for them. When Toni's supporter piped up with the Defeat Speech I shouted "Shut up, she's about to be thrashed".

The ignorance over depression is astounding (on here and elsewhere). Toni didn't get into debt because she's greedy - it's because she tried buying happiness and it didn't work.

When someone can't afford food then they can't afford to gamble. She was just unlucky to end up with a 75k/250k finish.

thundercat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:16 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

Regardless of what the poor lady won, lets view the game from a viewers perspective, or what the viewer can see. We, as the viewer, do not win £26,000 therefore our opinions on the subject of the game may be more statistically opposed, and rightly so. In other words, not everyone will agree that £26,000 was a great win as in context over 6 times that amount was available. Oh, im using hindsight? Correct. Without hindsight £250,000 was available. And £100,000. And £75,000. You get my drift?

Again looking back to the average viewer, its nice to see people win large sums of money. But it's not a charity for people to insert sob story, leave with a lucky £26,000. It's satisfying watching that money being earnt. So already we have some unsatisfaction. But worse yet, the proveout left the 2nd best possible finish possible, a chance of only around 0.3%! Many games we watch that give a mediocre finish seem to be the norm these days so to see such an opportunity missed is very sad indeed. We would only expect to see that finish, or better, roughly once a year.

Stevo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:06 pm    Author: Stevo    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

A very sensible, logical sum-up thundercat.

We can indeed only see from a viewers perspective. We do not know the player or their personal situation or indeed the background to the reasons why they applied for the show.
Each player that deals decides the amount of money that has been offered is sufficient for their needs.

Yes it is sad when missed opportunities are proven out especially on that scale, but as you have said it is complete hindsight. It is easy for us to comment when all of the sums offered are not real for us, the viewers. Plus that finish however possible was of a tiny probability.

Irrespective of the possible sums available, Toni still won £26,000 which would be a huge sum for any of us. Well done to her.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:24 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

This is still looking to be the worst deal and game of the year so far.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:54 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

Au contraire Mark Surely it's better to go early and get a 5 figure sum than chase all the way to end and come home with a blue. Toni made a mistake maybe but not the worst we've seen this month even

willrelf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:07 am    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni
Forum Games Moderator

Mark's only ever happy if a player goes all the way to the end, regardless of the result.

No regrets.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:17 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

Wrong actually. Happy for them if it's at the perfect time and a spanking, but not happy when they blow the chances at getting more money.

willrelf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:19 am    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni
Forum Games Moderator

Well whenever a player plays perfectly or crashes to a blue, you never comment on their good play. You only comment if they make a bad decision.

No regrets.

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:48 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/11 Toni

Mark wrote:
Wrong actually. Happy for them if it's at the perfect time and a spanking, but not happy when they blow the chances at getting more money.

It's very easy to be happy for someone after they've spanked the banker but you often don't realise when the deal was the right decision when they made it.

[ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]