Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:14 pm Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 6:14 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

Warnings: 0
Get in there!!! :D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

YES! GET IN! :-D

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis
Administrator & Global Moderator

Box 6 with Dai contains the £100

Noel says this has been absolutely extraordinary, and Dennis says he feels lucky and over the moon. :D

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:54 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

Show of the Month for me so far, hands down!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:55 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

Oh yes! Definatly

I thought Ovie's would be game of the month, but Dennis gave us a right cracker today! :D

SCDancing34

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:55 pm    Author: SCDancing34    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

That seemed a terribly forced "happy ending", basically Cheryl's game all over again (kind of) :roll:

nevadajo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 pm    Author: nevadajo7    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

aww flippin brilliant :-D

matt26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:57 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

Hmm... I didn't really like that ending much. I mean, there was no real risk whatsoever, and they got an extra 7.5k out of it; the banker was basically offering to give away money on a coinflip. That's not what Deal or No Deal is supposed to be about. If it was something along the lines of 'If it's 15k, you get the 15k, but if it's £100 I'll dock you to 3k', that would have been more fair and fitting with the show itself.

DanS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:58 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

May I just point out that the longest runner (Mini) had the £250k today. Never nice when that happens.

This game just made my head explode. Crazy to think that at 3 different times during the game, he was going home with different amounts of money. £15k, then £7.5k, and then £15k again. How does that even happen? :eyes:

Definitely game of the month. I was always planning to vote for Kelly because of the emotion tied in with the big money win but I doubt we'll see anything like this again. Ironic in the way that 75k Mary's mistake actually turned out to be the right decision, as did Dennis'. The only difference was that Mary followed through with what she originally said.

JS Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:27 pm    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

I found this rather uncomfortable viewing.
I thought the 3rd offer was quite good and definately worth considering, so I was not that surprised that he dealt. The way Noel bangs on about 3rd offer dealers, I wondered if he felt a bit pressurised into saying he meant "no deal". The vote was silly because who would vote against the chap having the question again. Then Noel turned it all round to say it was there fault, well "no" because they were just voting on the question again, not if he should deal or not.
I wondered if the producers thought the same, hence the no lose special offer

rico7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:34 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

Really happy for Dennis, but I couldn't help thinking that the special offer was a way to brush under the carpet
the controversy of allowing someone to change their mind once they've dealt. 2 box pointed to a
banker's gamble.

The proveout offer of £15,000 at 5 box was absurdly too high! :?

Will this mean more safe deals with the possibility of banker's gambles and even no risk "special offers" at the end?

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:27 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

Well, that ending was a bit of a joke, to be honest - I mean, I don't really see why they played the rest of the game if they were just going to offer that all-or-halves. I could see what the producers were trying to do, but it wasn't in the spirit of the show, and if we're talking about 'fairness', what about all the other players who have had to face selling their box cheaper than its worth? So what if it was a coincidence? Such a contrived finish, and just a bizarre end to a bizarre game.

Personally, I think once you say "Deal/No Deal", that should be binding - I mean, surely it says that in the contract? That should be the end of the story, however harsh that may sound. At least with the other instance we had with Mary, she shook her head and gasped immediately after saying "No Deal", whereas this happened some time during the ad break after Noel had thrown to the break, and we know how irate Noel can be about 11-box dealers, so I genuinely hope he didn't feel obliged to say he'd made a mistake...

I mean, that smacked of desparation and if we never see that twist again, it won't be a moment too soon...!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:45 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

One of the most confusing games I'd ever seen. To be honest I think in this case given he was unintentionally taking the safe option, I think they should have made him stick with the original call, especially as it's already been mentioned he didn;t correct himself straight away (unlike Mary). Plus Mary having meant to say deal could have ended up with 10p if they'd made her take her original call, whreas Dennis was assured £15,000 even if he'd made a mistake and I feel a deal going wrong is never as bad as a no-deal for significant money going wrong if you're not sure what to do.

I think if it had been a younger contestant they would not have done that.

Still, I thought Dennis was hilarious and I'm over the moon for him, but I'd have been happier with the £15k deal originally, and an outright draw by selling the box for its value! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:18 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

That was one of the most bizarre and uncomfortable games I've seen in a long time. I liked Dennis, i think he provided some great comedy during his time on the wings, but the last third of that show didn't sit comfortably with me.

I don't begrudge Dennis the money and I don't really have a problem with the producers giving him a second chance at the 11 box question but clearly it backfired on them and there was some desperate backpeddling to try and make sure the game had a happy ending. Obviously when they decided to give him the chance to go back into live play they were hoping Dennis would win more than £15k and perhaps when he subsequently dealt for half that they were afraid there might be some sort of backlash - people protesting that he had been cheated out of the maximum deal.

As others have suggested a Banker's gamble or a double or nothing final gamble would have been more in keeping with the spirit of the show and fairer on those who played before and after than the 'this is what you could have one, and we're gonna give it you anyway' finale we got

matt26

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:33 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

StatsMan wrote:
Personally, I think once you say "Deal/No Deal", that should be binding - I mean, surely it says that in the contract? That should be the end of the story, however harsh that may sound. At least with the other instance we had with Mary, she shook her head and gasped immediately after saying "No Deal", whereas this happened some time during the ad break after Noel had thrown to the break, and we know how irate Noel can be about 11-box dealers, so I genuinely hope he didn't feel obliged to say he'd made a mistake...

IMO, being offered the question again is fair enough. Slip of the tongues happen, and being given an opportunity to correct that is fine, since it doesn't really give them any sort of unfair advantage since no more boxes have been opened.

Though regarding a BG on that finish, that would have been almost as ridiculous: who's going to risk £7,500 on a coinflip when the best they can get is double? Anyone who'd take that gamble wouldn't have dealt at 8-box like Dennis did. The opportunity to get 15k but cutting the prize to 3k if it's the wrong box would work, as 7.5k is roughly the sort of offer you'd expect on a 3k/15k finish.

Even Cheryl's ludicrous BG was better than this, since she at least risked losing money by taking the gamble. Here's hoping that something like this NEVER happens again.

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:10 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

Just seen the game and I agree that it did remind me of PJ's game where the producers were trying to undo a decision they made earlier in the game that went wrong.

If the producers were going to allow him to reconsider, they should have done that and not involved the audience.

The 5-box offer in active play wouldn't have been more than £10k maximum though.

tophertown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:05 pm    Author: tophertown    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

no disrespect to dennis but that show was a joke...
in my opinion (i'm not saying i'm right about this) he definitely meant to deal at £15k, and said what he said after the break for the precise reason he thought the cameras HAD stopped rolling....
i did feel sorry for him as you could see the terror in his eyes when noel asked him the question again...he clearly wanted to say deal again, but caved in.
the fact his wife was then telling him to deal at £7.5k in the next round, and he did shows he was without a doubt a targetist who knew the amount of money he wanted.

BUT that was all fine
the "twist" at the end was a joke, bankers gamble fair enough, but that was silly.
i love the production team and they do an amazing job, but this game was without a doubt an exception.

unclekevo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:11 pm    Author: unclekevo    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

Not happy with that. Whilst Cheryl's game posed major risk, the Banker was just giving him the money. Worst game of the month.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:49 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

You know, I'm tempted to score this as an OBW bizarrely, even though Dennis got the maximum out of the game, as he technically un-dealt £15k to deal at £7,500, and then essentially be given another £7,500 because he found the red! In terms of the gameplay, that's probably an accurate result as Dennis didn't have a decision to make over the £15k!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:00 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Dennis

StatsMan wrote:
You know, I'm tempted to score this as an OBW bizarrely, even though Dennis got the maximum out of the game, as he technically un-dealt £15k to deal at £7,500, and then essentially be given another £7,500 because he found the red! In terms of the gameplay, that's probably an accurate result as Dennis didn't have a decision to make over the £15k!

I agree with you to be honest.

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]