Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:57 am Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 6:57 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Warnings: 0
A Banker Spanking wrote:
They unfairly did her out of 5k in my view - Sorry :smt011

Quite so. Fair play, taking £5,000 out would have seen an increase but if she was still in live play it'd been £19,000 at very most!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

matt26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Wow, what a game! Even as the big reds started going, it was still an OK board because she had so much back-up remaining.

Funnily enough, she had exactly the same final five as 75k Lynne, when recently Al had the same final five as 120k Jennifer! I highly doubt the 5-box offer would have been £22,500. It probably would have been £20,000 in active play...

A Banker Spanking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:58 pm    Author: A Banker Spanking    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Big-Davey wrote:
A Banker Spanking wrote:
They unfairly did her out of 5k in my view - Sorry :smt011

Quite so. Fair play, taking £5,000 out would have seen an increase but if she was still in live play it'd been £19,000 at very most!

I guess we wont know what the banker would have really offered. But I dont like the banker chipping in with a last gasp desperate offer just before an 8, 5 or 2 box just because the game isnt going his way! The contestants dont get that choice, so why should he?

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:03 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn
Administrator & Global Moderator

matt26 wrote:
I highly doubt the 5-box offer would have been £22,500. It probably would have been £20,000 in active play...

Yes I was thinking that too. £20k is, after all, the natural target of most people (or it may have been £19,000 (as Davey said) to deliberately pitch it just below the £20k barrier). However the banker does have a history of being generous when he throws in extra offers in a game, so £22,500 may be believable.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

A Banker Spanking wrote:
But I dont like the banker chipping in with a last gasp desperate offer just before an 8, 5 or 2 box just because the game isnt going his way! The contestants dont get that choice, so why should he?

Well, the players can get their own back next week, as they can use the "Love God" to decide when they get an extra offer!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:08 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Actually yes - when additional offers are made, the generosity levels do tend to soar...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:40 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Monkeynut wrote:
Quote:
18% of the current contestants are very nice to look at indeed - that's a higher than usual percentage

So you've got Jean, you've got Linda, who are the other 2?!

Well, I was thinking along the lines of Davey, Justin, Gaz and Eddie, to be honest. But I suppose I could add Jean and Joyce too, which brings it to 27%. Fantastic!

matt26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:58 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

h2005 wrote:
matt26 wrote:
I highly doubt the 5-box offer would have been £22,500. It probably would have been £20,000 in active play...

Yes I was thinking that too. £20k is, after all, the natural target of most people (or it may have been £19,000 (as Davey said) to deliberately pitch it just below the £20k barrier). However the banker does have a history of being generous when he throws in extra offers in a game, so £22,500 may be believable.

22.5k was 93.7% of the mean, and 6k over the FD. Lynne got £19,111 for the same board, and the banker was more generous in late 2006 than he is now (in general). In reality, Dawn only missed out on 1.5k or so rather than 5k...

KP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:06 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn
International Forums Moderator

A high-energy game perhaps for fitness instructor Dawn? She's straight in with the bad puns, and... four blues and the jackpot go, so we have an ultra-stable board. She's keen to sell the idea of herself as a gambler to the Banker, which is good strategy even if you're not, and the offer is not a great surprise. A £1k-high round 2 means we're still dealing with incredibly low volatility, and thus a much higher percentage of the mean needed to force the Deal than usual. Sure enough, the offer doubles, and it's already one-eighth of the top prize remaining on the board. I'd value this board at £15k, though, so would go on, but half-expecting to be out before the ADP if the next round is good.

Which it isn't, creating obvious separation between the top two and the rest - which actually makes the board look worse than it is in honesty. Ten grand? No surprises, not unreasonable, I'd go on, and so does she.

Blast. Still, two blues go with it, and we now almost have two parallel games; £75k is the only Power 5, but the next five down remain resolutely untouched. It's not so much about whether you'd regret a blue win as whether you'd regret an orange win from here, I think. £11,500 is having me doing the maths... that block of five totals £53k, so £128k on the board, mean is £16k, £11,500 is just short of the mark for me. Can't fault either decision, and especially not a No Deal when Noel almost over-corrects for previous faults by saying it 'doesn't look like a mega-money game'.

Five-red squashdown... OFFER! £125k on the board... mean is just shy of £21k... there's still a 1/3 chance of the remaining blue being in the final two, take out £75k here and the offer will probably be £NO_DEAL, there's just not enough upside potential to chase. Easy to take this gamble on though if you're not a mathematical type, and... after a fashion, with advice in both directions from all sides... a Deal it is! Good call.

Oh. And the hypo offer is predictably nigh-on the mean, although it hardly couldn't be... and the game ends in fitting style with both ends of the board squeezed in successive boxes to leave a pleasantly anti-climactic £10k/£15k/£20k final three. What would the normal five-box offer have been? Certainly no more than twenty grand, quite possibly no more than £17,500, and she would either have taken it or (less likely, in my opinion) gone on to win less. They didn't 'unfairly do her out of £5,000', but they did unfairly do her out of a likely OPW.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:08 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

I'm starting to get peeved with The Banker when he calls and makes an offer during a round, as this ruins all tension for the next box...

The trip towards my prediction of no one winning more than £50k continues :(

lcc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm    Author: lcc    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

yes i agree killersbee should to stick to original offers like before :box: well done dawn though :smt023

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Pretty cast-iron deal at 6 box for me but it was one of those rare no-lose games today.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any adverts for Love Week yet (unless they are keeping the players' costumes a surprise for the viewers)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Didn't we get one today?

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Big-Davey wrote:
Didn't we get one today?

Yes you're right, Matthew did it.

The music for it sounded a bit like the Christmas music but with a Roman twist.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Got to hand that one to the Banker I'm afraid.

Underhand or not that six box 'surprise' offer was cleverly pitched and caught Dawn completely off-guard. Personally i would have concentrated on the 66.6% chance of hitting a lower amount with the final box of the round but i can understand why she dealt.

Like others I didn't expect the next offer to be more than 20K but i don't think it was neccessarily inflated. There's a certain logic to pitching the 5box offer just above the second highest amount in play, it almost guarantees a deal.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:44 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Yet another game to have an extra offer, so next week's not going to be much different from what we've seen lately in that respect anyway! There has been one 6-box deal before, with Richie in February 2008 (during Love Week unsurprisingly) also missing out on a 5-box offer supposedly worth £5k more than his deal (£16k).

The question is whether that extra offer really influenced the final outcome, and the answer is probably not. I don't think the regular 5-box offer would've been much more than £17,500 anyway. I thought she made a justifiable decision, as I think the offer would've dropped for hitting any of the top 3 (although it probably would've been a stick for hitting 15k), and then you could be easily tempted to chase the money to the end.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:16 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

h2005 wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:
Didn't we get one today?

Yes you're right, Matthew did it.

The music for it sounded a bit like the Christmas music but with a Roman twist.

Just seen it now. Not sure whether togas are better or worse than 60's outifts they had last year.

LINDY LOU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12 am    Author: LINDY LOU    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

Nice little game today ...well done
Dawn :smt023

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

You know I almost don't care about OPWs and the like any more - if like yesterday, the player makes what I feel is a sound decision for the board and still gets the majority of the possible maximum out of the game, they it's still very satisfying.

Why not throw in the odd unexpected offer from time to time? As long as it's not something grossly unfair like a swap-only offer at 2-box on all-or-peanuts!

That was one of those decisions (the £17,500) where you at first glance think "God, no-deal, you've got a great situation with 5 reds and only 1 blue", then you count the mean and also realise there's only one box worth a lot more than the offer and you think the opposite! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:02 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Dawn

The decision at £17,500 could have gone either way, so I have no problems with her dealing that. It was a strong board, but a very good offer as well.

And I have to agree with H, there are quite a few very nice looking people on the wings at the moment.

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]