Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:58 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 1:58 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:10 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

Warnings: 0
I hated that twist!

It brings back horrible memories of Wakey (I think, but it could have been Wilson) saying the contestant should lose money if they dealt and it was a bad move. :(

Then again she should have been a bit more savvy with the banker, she did show her hands a bit too easily!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:25 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura
International Forums Moderator

That was indeed Wakey's advice unless I'm very much mistaken. Should I find the post? Must I find the post? :)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

Yes! For old time's sake!

It was before my time here anyway so come on! :D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

It seems a while since a player has dealt 2 deals to early and it's now December 9th since the QM came to the table.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

Simon F wrote:
It seems a while since a player has dealt 2 deals to early and it's now December 9th since the QM came to the table.

It's been December 9th since the quarter-million came to the table for quite a few weeks now.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

MisterAl wrote:
Simon F wrote:

It's been December 9th since the quarter-million came to the table for quite a few weeks now.

Touché. Serves me right for not working out how many shows it's been since December 9th.

rico7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:19 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

I think the banker's special gamble is here to stay now for better or worse. Although it adds interest to early deal games,
paradoxically and ironically it could lead to more early deals as contestants know they have a greater chance to increase their winnings after taking out the insurance of a safe deal.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:26 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura
Administrator & Global Moderator

rico7 wrote:
Although it adds interest to early deal games, paradoxically and ironically it could lead to more early deals as contestants know they have a greater chance to increase their winnings after taking out the insurance of a safe deal.

Yes, at first I thought the banker was just trying to punish those who take early deals, but actually it could encourage earlier deals!!

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

KP wrote:
That was indeed Wakey's advice unless I'm very much mistaken. Should I find the post? Must I find the post? :)

I've just tried under one of his many profiles and I got so wound up looking at the posts (how on earth was I this tolerant 2 years ago not to post stuff that would have got me banned????), I gave up. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

You know what they say James, life begins at 30! ;-)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

I think my precise reason is "I didn't want to get banned"! ;-)

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

I think i was as surprised as Laura when her name got called today, she was unlucky really in that she failed to find the £250k after dealing, but i think it would have been worse had it been in her box all along.
£15k wasn't a bad offer for the board at the time she dealt and if was enough to recure her a deposit on her own home then she was right to go for it.

With regards to the 'Banker's special gamble' it was certainly a surprise twist and i can fully understand why she took it but i really wanted someone to point out to her that the odds were 2 to 1 against.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

Moxx of Balhoom wrote:
I think i was as surprised as Laura when her name got called today, she was unlucky really in that she failed to find the £250k after dealing, but i think it would have been worse had it been in her box all along.
£15k wasn't a bad offer for the board at the time she dealt and if was enough to recure her a deposit on her own home then she was right to go for it.

With regards to the 'Banker's special gamble' it was certainly a surprise twist and i can fully understand why she took it but i really wanted someone to point out to her that the odds were 2 to 1 against.

The banker seems to have a fixation with 3 box twists recently.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:32 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 01/02 Laura

It was a bit of a weird twist that rendered the actual amounts left as irrelevant, and reduced it merely to a game of roulette with £2,500, with virtually the same odds as betting on a 'third' segment.

At that stage for me, the £12,500 secure wasn't the important bit, it was basically a straight odds bet decision with the £2,500, but Laura placed more emphasis on the money safe, and it was easy to be caught out by the banker's sudden trick, although she did leave herself open to some kind of twist by mentioning the £20k.

I think if someone had said was she willing to gamble £2,500 on a 1 in 3 chance of £7,500, she'd have thought differently, whereas instead they said "£12,500 is still a decent sum to go away with" which wasn't really the key question of the gamble for me.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if that encourages earlier deals, and indeed whether we'll be seeing more of the twist in the future, although I can't see it being weighted to the player's advantage too often if at all.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

[ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]