Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:29 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:29 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:54 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

Warnings: 0
Oh! Well, that was a relief, but she could still lose by £2,500

kestral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:54 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Noel opens box 14 and reveals £50

Alex with box 5 contains the £20,000

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:56 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

Well, at least it wasn't a Third Squander in a row and we see Trick for once, but even then Sarah went too soon... :smt009

Last edited by killersbee on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:59 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week
Administrator & Global Moderator

I liked the way the grandfather frowned and his smile became a scowl when Noel spilt some of his 'ashes'!!

There are certainly some great visual effects this week.

killersbee wrote:
These people just can't seem to get a Spanking anymore :smt009

The players can't control what happens after they deal though, can they?

Last edited by h2005 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
­test

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:00 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

They know they can't but at least, all they could do is just try and use their luck to the full

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:01 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

killersbee wrote:
They know they can't but at least, all they could do is just try and use their luck to the full

I'm genuinely intrigued to know how you propose they 'use their luck to the full'...

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

By taking big risks, cause everyone has to take big risks from time to time, but these guys aren't (with the exception of Hassan)

JuliePenguinFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:20 pm    Author: JuliePenguinFan    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

I would have do exactly what she did and deal at 17,500, that is loadsamoney and she said it would so help with their wedding plans, she could have easily enough have revealed the 100K on the next box and then she'd feel so gutted and be offered far far less.
Well spotted with the scowl on the grandpas face, I missed that H! Happy Wedding Sarah and well done! :-D

KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:50 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week
International Forums Moderator

Sarah was clearly a cautious target-driven player and would probably have been a candidate for a pre-ADP Deal most weeks if the board was good; it's a wonder that she got as far as she did, and Noel probably takes most of the 'credit' for it.

Still, another significant win, and another happy player, and most of the sensible people around here would find it hard to ask for too much more than that.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

LINDY LOU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:08 pm    Author: LINDY LOU    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

Missed this game but well done Sarah :smt023

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:57 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

First of all, Noel really annoyed me at the start of that - he was basically implying David was stupid for not trusting the banker and made it sound like it was obvious he had the £250k at the table. Not many people are in a position to put £40k on the line to call the banker's bluff Noel!!! I agree with killersbee in that I don't think it should have been swept under the carpet by any means but instead I think Noel could have complemented the banker on managing to buy the box rather than implying David was an idiot. :shock:

(Surprised KP didn't pick up on that one to be honest!! :) )

Anyway, back to today's game and it was much more straightforward today due to finally the treat being found. Shame Sarah had to play this week though as I thought she was stunning normally! I had a sense of foreboding at the start too given she was missing her kids and wanted money for a wedding and such, but the banker was much more generous to her than I expected.

I can't begrudge anyone who gets one-to-open rounds a deal at 4-box or 3-box, if you do that you're usually taking advantage by dealing an offer you wouldn't usually get. I thought it was perfectly good play risking one box, taking a small increase after a key safety net disappeared, and even though the banker promised £25k at 3-box for finding a blue, I didn;t think it was a big enough increase to risk going on and having to deal a low 4-figure sum or risk totally crashing if the £100k went. I was expecting him to say £30k which for me would have been a different matter altogether.

I actually couldn't see any more than £25k being available in the game unless you were going to go for opening the £100k box or finding both blues before 2-box. I think the downside actually outweighed the potential gains there!

Very pleased she got out too as she seemed really nervous, I'd have hated to see a blue win after taking out 3 biggies one by one like the game a year ago today! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:11 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

James1978 wrote:
First of all, Noel really annoyed me at the start of that - he was basically implying David was stupid for not trusting the banker and made it sound like it was obvious he had the £250k at the table. Not many people are in a position to put £40k on the line to call the banker's bluff Noel!!! I agree with killersbee in that I don't think it should have been swept under the carpet by any means but instead I think Noel could have complemented the banker on managing to buy the box rather than implying David was an idiot. :shock:

He did seem to go over the top when criticising David. Yes, of course David missed out on a lot more money... but Noel has already said that the banker will lie at some point, so he could've been doing it yesterday and pulling a major bluff with the offer, hoping David would crash and burn to a blue win.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:12 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

Great to see a player get the treat at last. Personally i thought the 4 box deal was slightly cautious and that there was one more box in it, but ii wasn't the disaster some people would like to claim. Okay she missed out on the spanking but she still made a hefty profit on the contents of her box and for someone planning their wedding £17,500 is a very useful sum of money. Should cover the caterers at least :-D

Anyway I thought Sarah played it just right for her and i hope the money serves her and her family well

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:35 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

Glad that Sarah took no notice of Noel being possessed by the spirit of Wakey in today's intro. I wonder what Noel's intro would have been had David no dealt the £40k and the £100k and then not had the £250k in his box. Would he have yelled that David shouldn't have trusted the banker and was foolish to risk so much money? I doubt it.

I'm surprised so few of the pilgrims would have dealt at 4 box - to me it was an easy deal.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:43 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

Simon F wrote:
I'm surprised so few of the pilgrims would have dealt at 4 box - to me it was an easy deal.

Perhaps they were afraid to admit they'd deal, for fear that Noel would rant at them like he did at the start of the show...

SeahawkTim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:30 am    Author: SeahawkTim    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

Noel's rant, fueled by hindsight bias no doubt, was unwarranted. David's Deal for £40K wasn't bad, given the scale of the wins in the past month and everyone expecting the Banker to renege on his vow of honesty while the grandparents are on show. I would've been more keen to focus on the inexplicable swap that came at the end - at that point it was all but obvious that the QM was in David's box, and the swap was clearly a move to save face.

But anyway. Sarah's game. I think the key box in this game was the £35K; once that went off the board, she suddenly tightened up and got very worried about the rest of the game. I doubt she would have gone past 5-box if not for the Treat; even then, the strain seemed to be getting to her. I think she made a great Deal though, even if she left an extra £8K on the table; after three big reds coming to the table in a row, we were bound to have a blue at some point.

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:35 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week
International Forums Moderator

Thought Sarah did well today. Again, no choice but to play on to 5-box to get decent offers. Would have been interesting if it were Trick, as there's arguments for both increasing and decreasing the offer from £15,555, depending on how the Banker plays it.

(Is it me, or was the actual "Treat" quite naff? A night being pampered is good, but it's no holiday to Majorca. :? )

Noel encouraged her to continue at 5-box, claiming the offer would not only not drop if the £100,000 wasn't discovered, but go up. I'm a bit uneasy with this, as there was no guarantee that was going to happen, especially if the £20,000 went. Players in the wings can say this as it's clear advice, but Noel saying it (when he claims to be impartial) is misleading.

The 4-box offer was key to this game. The offer relative to the average remained about the same, but the volatility of the board went up. The best she could get if she dealt next round was a £7,500 increase, with a possible stick if the £20,000 went, and a likely drop of £15,000 if the £100,000 was discovered.

(Curiously, a £25,000 offer at 3-box would have been neither good for the player or the Banker. The board is strong enough to no deal, but a 2-box deal is still on the cards, so the 3-box offer can't be higher.)

2-box would have either been a blue-blue ending, blue-£20k, which she indicated wouldn't be worth dealing, blue-£100k, which would need to be at least £30k to be worthwhile, and £20k-£100k, where she couldn't deal £50k without calling into question why she played on at 4-box, as the only reason to was to pursue the £100k.

I think that both the 5-box and 4-box offers were dealable, and Sarah took an acceptable risk and escaped at the right time. Perhaps even the Banker offered too much, as there were a lot of potential complications ahead. Strange to say that she might have won more if she revealed Trick, even with £50 in her box... then again!

Well played Sarah, enjoy the money!

lcc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:30 pm    Author: lcc    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

yeah i though she seemed really disapointed when they revealed a treat i think she was expecting a weeks holiday as in the past thats what they have been but i mean crikey they give enough money away as it is she must be having a right old knees up wedding if thats only going towards it i mean £17,5000 towards a wedding i did the lot for about £3,000 inculding honeymoon and married on a beach cant understand these people who want to spend thousands of pounds but each to us own i suppose .enjoy the money sarah but dont go to mad its not all about the materials of a marraige as long as youre in love then thats the main thing eh... :smt023 .

cfd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

Someone needs to tell Mr Edmonds that we're not all as rich as he is and we're mostly all very happy with £40,000 thank you very much.
£NO_DEAL
£NO_DEAL
£NO_DEAL
£DEAL_OR_NO_DEAL - no deal for me
TREAT
£DEAL_OR_NO_DEAL - no deal for me
£DEAL_OR_NO_DEAL - i'd take this. so does she.
£DEAL_OR_NO_DEAL
£DEAL_OR_NO_DEAL

Not really as exciting as previous days, but another decent sized win. Note how from 8-box onwards I consider every offer to be dealable. Strange that we get that.

paulyc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:14 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 29/10 Sarah - Trick or Treat Week

that was my Mrs who was the "one" who stood up near enough before Noel asked, only to be joined by 3 others. i knew she would have as well.

Would have been interesting if Hassan had had David's box. I wonder if he would have played the same way he did. If he did, he would be the first male quarter of a millionaire, assuming the banker wouldn't have varied his tatics. 8)

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]