Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:39 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 2:39 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

AnneM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 pm    Author: AnneM    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

Warnings: 0
:smt023 Well done David, pleased you came away with a tidy sum, invest and enjoy. :-D

BoxClever

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:38 pm    Author: BoxClever    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

It seemed to me that David was considering dealing at the 5-box £15,000 offer, and I'm sure he would have dealt at £30,000 without The Banker needing to increase it to £40,000.

Fair enough that The Banker wasn't taking any chances, though - after all, he'd seen what was in the box and knew that he'd be making a saving if he paid out anything less than £250,000.

Phil 09

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 pm    Author: Phil 09    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

I think a fair result. £40,000 deal is a rare occurence but a shame that David did actually bring the £250,000 to the table.

I think all in all, bar Lillian's game on Tuesday which was something of a trainwreck, not bad for the contestants and the Banker is for once being honest with the box content. That said, still Thursday and Friday to go but would be nice to break the current Trick at 5-box.

Phil.

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:06 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

Very intriguing game indeed.

I really liked David,, he came across a being a really decent honest young lad and was really happy for him he walked out of there with a life-changing sum and the second-highest win of season 5.

Given how he couldn't hit a red early on, it was very unfortunate to destroy the rest of the power 5 (apart from the £250k obviously which he couldn't touch) in the mid-late stages. If he'd found the treat then maybe we could have had another game like Liam's in Clown week. As it was, there was the inkling the banker had seen the £250k but I think he should have capped the offer at £30k to leave him really unsure. £40k was a deal for anyone unsure as it wouldn't be enough to risk calling the banker's bluff. I actually thought he had one of the back-up block but not the biggie. Funny, I think of the 20k/15k/10k block as almost interchangeable, but when you consider dropping from £40k to one of those, to win £10k seems a far greater drop than £20k.

I wonder if we're going to complete a full set of tricks to even out what's happened in the last 2 years? :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Jimmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 am    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week
Global Moderator

I haven't been able to watch the show for a few weeks, but today I flicked over to Channel 4 only to see the most ridiculous format I have yet to witness. What on earth was going on? Grandpapa and Grandmama? Noel Edmonds looking like he's been dragged through a bush? Don't mind me, I'm just bitter about the overexaggeration of Halloween. ;)

Anyway, I saw the end and I must say I thought they were all incredibly foolish! Correct me if I am wrong, but offering £40,000 (bearing in mind the banker knew what was in the box) for an amount that is £20,000 or less is the height of stupidity considering this Banker bloke is supposedly so frugal and serious. Bluff I hear? Nonsense. Surely if we go by the purpose of this 'Trick or Treat' babble, it's staring you in the face that the Banker wants a £250,000 box for £40,000. Maybe I don't understand the complexities of the banker these days. Anyway he deserved to lose out on the top prize for missing a trick like that. Excuse the pun. :P

Well done on £40,000 anyway. Ahh that'd look nice on my bank balance!

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:22 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

He gave Ellen really low joke offers at Xmas last year both at 5-box and at 2-box, when he saw £75k in the box Jimmy so it could have meant anything! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:46 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week
Administrator & Global Moderator

Jimmy wrote:
Surely if we go by the purpose of this 'Trick or Treat' babble, it's staring you in the face that the Banker wants a £250,000 box for £40,000.

That's true. But on the other hand, the banker could've been bluffing. He could have seen (for example) £750 in David's box, and was hoping David would no deal the £40k, based on your logic that his box must contain £250k if he's offering as much as £40k.

Of course the banker has to then rely on the £250k being found, but even then if it wasn't found, he could've offered a really low offer at 2-box to force David to win the £750. If this makes sense. :ponder:

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:49 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

Another very gripping game, I have to hand it to the Banker he played a blinder there - things are really going his way this week, I can only assume Grandmama & Grandpapa are watching out for him :-D

It's easy to say that the Banker would only offer £40k if the £250k was on the table but can anyone really trust him not to pull a double bluff and tempt David on in the hope he'll destroy the game? Certainly i had my doubts about his honesty if no-one else did. Besides that any 5 box offer which is higher than 80% of the board has to be worth considering especially when it's double the highest fall back.

I would have probably dealt that myself and if i hadn;t i definately would have taken the £100k at the next offer.

Jimmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:51 am    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week
Global Moderator

I'm afraid it is now too late for me to understand anything other than how to close my eyes and go to sleep, so I shall have to agree with you and say that you make more sense than sense itself.

I still think it was all babble though. :P

nevadajo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:17 am    Author: nevadajo7    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

watching 2days game now on ch2 on demand, i'm hopless knowing who the players really are when they r all made up or in fancy dresss etc LOL

nevadajo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:25 am    Author: nevadajo7    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

omg i'm just watching the 1 p go :-D begger £100,000 :(

nevadajo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:43 am    Author: nevadajo7    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

OUCH :shock:

SeahawkTim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:35 am    Author: SeahawkTim    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

My personal opinion? David didn't swap with honesty.

He had the quarter-million, he knew it, and he swapped it away just to avoid looking a fool for dealing away £210,000.

Not to say his deal was bad, because £40,000 is the largest amount won on the show since Des, and raising the offer twice probably accomplished enough of a brain scramble to coax him into Dealing. But for the Banker to augment the offer twice to double the second-highest amount on the board screamed obvious desperation to me. If he had just offered the £30K and stuck with it, you could perhaps have called it a bluff. But the second bump to £40K was an obvious sign that the Banker saw the £250K and wanted to get him out ASAP. And the other thing to consider: the Banker stands to gain almost nothing by bluffing if he saw any of the other reds on the board at the time. So once the £750 left the game, you had to know that the Banker saw the £250K.

alexandercbrown wrote:
I'd still actually like to see a meaner banker if trick comes up again though. The problem is almost that the banker can't be trusted to be mean anymore!

Thus far, the banker has seen £15K, £75K, and £250K in the three boxes brought to the table. In two of those instances, that number was the largest number left on the board. It's impossible to be "mean" in those situations, because all you're doing is pressuring players into No Dealing and eventually winning the top of the game.

I think if Trick is found in the next two shows, the Banker probably is going to lowball the offers, no matter what's in the box. Reason being that he can play on his "honesty" thus far and say there's a blue in the player's box, even if there isn't. The player is likely going to believe him and Deal for a suboptimal amount as a result.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:26 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

SeahawkTim wrote:
He had the quarter-million, he knew it, and he swapped it away just to avoid looking a fool for dealing away £210,000.

Think that just about sums it up, the luck seems to be back but no one is making the most of it, come on, somebody on the wings has got to at least go for it! :|

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:53 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

That was brilliant! I may be the only one to think that though..
I don't actually care that he had the £250,000 in his original box, it was a game that I really enjoyed. I don't care that he may have not actually swapped either. The thought didn't even cross my mind.

I've liked David for a while, he always seemed and came across as such a nice young guy. It was so pleasing to see him get a lovely chunky £40,000. Well done to him.

Given the reaction to this game, I would really like to hear David's side of the story. I know he's signed up to the forum so perhaps we might hear from him.

LINDY LOU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:20 pm    Author: LINDY LOU    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

Well done 40,000 wow what I could do with that...I was a little taken back when he swapped though. Did the other number have a meaning for him??

lcc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:08 pm    Author: lcc    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

yeah think it was his football number lindy yeah £40.ooo :shock: what a great amount i had a feeling from the very start of his game that he was going to win big thought he was going for the confetti i found it so obvious that the banker was telling the truth but he knew trhat david would deal anyway i mean he was only 23 yrs of age so really no spanking was it???????hope someone gets the treat tonight as would like to know what the extra treat is probaly a holiday 8) enjoy your money david you lucky guy :smt023

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:24 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week
International Forums Moderator

Liking the whole look of Trick or Treat, the special effects and the quirky title sequence work well, and the make-up is excellent!

The games up to 5-box have been a bit drab so far, with no real attempt to buy the box. It's fair when there's a twist to the game, but everything until then seems a bit pointless. :?

The 5-box offer here, though, was well worth the wait. First, the £15,000 stick, implying that the £250,000 was elsewhere. Then when David gave indications of going on, then the offer going up to £30,000, a 100% increase! An indicator that the QM was in the box, but could it be a bluff? Then the £40,000 offer... :shock:

With the Banker knowing that the QM is in the box, it makes sense to purchase the box right there and then. The average at that stage was £59,150, but the average was guaranteed to increase, with a 3/4 chance of the offer being around £90-120,000. Even the 1/4 chance of the £750 - £250,000 finish would likely have an increase of some kind.

But, knowing that a big payout could be prevented, is it wise to telegraph that the QM might be there? It seemed reasonably likely, though a 3/4 chance of dropping at least £20,000 if it isn't in there is hard to stomach.

What I think he had in mind, though, wasn't to offer £40,000 to telegraph what's in the box. I believe that he wanted David to deal at that point. If the other remaining box was £750, then he would probably have offered the Banker's Gamble! It would only have worked so long as there was a large amount to risk, and would have made for great entertainment.

Of course, you might think that would be blatant manufacturing of a win. However, he could have done the same thing if the £750 were in David's box, and the £250,000 was kept in the last other box. How could you know if he really wanted you to take the gamble because the QM is in the box, or because he wants you to lose £39,250?

Alas, that 1/4 scenario didn't happen this time. But it still made for great entertainment, and David did the right thing taking the £40,000. It was a good offer relative to the average, and there was no real way of knowing if the £250,000 was in his box until it was opened. Spend the money well, Dave! :D

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:08 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week
Administrator & Global Moderator

crazyeddie wrote:
there was no real way of knowing if the £250,000 was in his box until it was opened.

Exactly. Judging by Noel's rant at the start of Sarah's show, he must have X-ray vision.

cfd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:00 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 28/10 David - Trick or Treat Week

£NO_DEAL
£NO_DEAL - v strong board
£NO_DEAL - 15k not enough for this board
£NO_DEAL
TRICK
£NO_DEAL at £15,000
£DEAL_OR_NO_DEAL at £30,000 - i'd be squirming but i'd no deal
£DEAL_OR_NO_DEAL at £40,000 - this has to be £250,000 surely? there'd be no reason for him to be doing this. But it could be that he's a sick sick man with the blue. I'm dealing now.
£100,000 at the end is £DEAL.
And he had the £250,000.

Really interesting game there. I liked the way he slowly upped the offers. Made it "obvious" that the £250,000 was in the box. I'd love to be the banker in these games.

[ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]