Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:29 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:29 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kestral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:50 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
That is a good move says Jerry. He goes on to say that he is still here to play the game.

Jerry says

NO DEAL

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:52 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry
Administrator & Global Moderator

Assuming the bikes and consoles cost no more than a total of £1,000, then including the extra £2,000, that offer was only about £3,000 - not that good really!

kestral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:52 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

Round 6

7 - 10p :D Tel

2 to go says Noel

20 - £50,000 :( Shell

Such is life says Jerry. He remembers he wanted to keep 20 now!

5 - £10 Paul

Banker time with £1 and £250 remaining

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:52 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

Well now I bet he is gutted that it wasn't his game yesterday as all this talk about here to play the game, then well he probably would have gotten the £100k. Ah well, it's never to be.

kestral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:53 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

Jerry says that his boys said they would frame the cheque if he lost.

Banker's offer:

2 photos of 2 top of the range games consoles

2 photos of 2 top of the range bikes

and 2 envelopes with 50p in each!

kestral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

Jerry says

NO DEAL

Noel opens box 13 and reveals £250

kestral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

Box 12 with Kyle contains the £1

greeny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:56 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

The bikes would probably have amounted to £1,000, then maybe another £500 for the games console - £3,500 is poor even for a one box game.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:59 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

h2005 wrote:
Assuming the bikes and consoles cost no more than a total of £1,000, then including the extra £2,000, that offer was only about £3,000 - not that good really!

I actually thought he might have repeated the generosity of the 8 box offer and stuck but that made it more personal I guess.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:00 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry
Administrator & Global Moderator

greeny wrote:
The bikes would probably have amounted to £1,000, then maybe another £500 for the games console - £3,500 is poor even for a one box game.

I don't think the bikes would've even reached that. Probably no more than £300 each, seeing as they'd probably be children's bikes.

I don't understand his children's logic that he'd be letting them down if he didn't play to the end. Surely it'd have been better for them if he'd tried to take something home?

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:08 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

What a shame, I really thought he would be the one to win big :(

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:19 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

Sounds like a disappointing one :( Bit gutted for Jerry, like KB I thought he'd do well. Did they mention what part of Louisiana Jerry's from? I have a friend who's from there.

2 days in a row 13's come to the table, and yet again it contains a blue! Hasn't the banker commented on that before? When was the last time it was on the table with a red in?

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:33 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

Just tuned in on Channel 4+1.

We're at 11box. Board not brilliant,

Player seems a tad annoying to me.

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:36 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

How on earth has he got an £8,500 here???

Easy deal all day long for me.

But I forgot. He wants to "play the game".

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

ok, no dealing £5,000 in that spot is frankly daft imo

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:52 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

5box offer isn't quite as clear cut. no idea how much bikes cost. guessing total value is about £3,000 though, so i prob no deal this if i'm actually this far

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:55 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

haha, comedy offer by the banker.

one of those games where i can't help but think it served him right

KP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:23 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry
International Forums Moderator

A new month, a new game, a new one-post summary. Thanks for doing the same yesterday Moxx.

Nic had an average game, made a very safe decision, and got a moderate TPW. How has that encouraged everyone to go systematic? Automatic? Let's hope the introduction goes like greased lightning!

First round post is at 4:20pm. Oh dear. Still, the contestant's originally from the US, whose game show contestants could never be accused of risk-aversion (not least because there's too much else to accuse them of).

The penny drops right away! That's that albatross off his back. He gets the expected Power 5 hit out of the way next box before hitting three values that would count as safety nets in trainwrecks, but can be treated as zero for now. Jerry is right to like this; the Banker openly endorses a player's intention to play to the end regardless, and offers £NO_DEAL. Excuse me, isn't the Banker's job to, you know, buy the box? These days, the Banker incites Wakeyism more than Noel does, and that's even ignoring his 'offers'.

We move on. Two values that are always useful safety nets go next, and oh crumbs there goes the jackpot. The Banker increases the offer by 250% after that, surely the highest relative increase ever after the £250,000 has gone. Jerry says he's come here to play the producer's game, 45 minutes of having fun without so much as thought for the financial decisions; as far as I'm concerned, the game is called Deal Or No Deal, and 'playing the game' means considering that question, rather than treating 'playing the game' as ignoring the gameplay.

Blue, big hit, blue. Still, he's got two huge sums left, and this is no worse than 'below average' for now. Oh crumbs, Mr Banker, can you be any less overt in endorsing reckless gambling next time? Second time the offer's more than doubled, and it's now positively dealable for a conservative player. Nic would have gone here, unless she was gullible enough not to stop before the Acceptable Deal Point; Jerry isn't, so at least he's honest.

And there goes £100,000. At this rate playing to the end will be an almost obvious decision anyway... and, indeed, Jerry notes the same at eight-box. Despite having taken out what is now a useful safety net, something the Banker quite brilliantly reminds him of by offering that very amount. I'd be gone here, it's about two-thirds of the mean unless I'm sorely mistaken; Jerry now appears to be a fatalist-Wakeyist, saying the game's rubbish anyway so he might as well gamble. What, the weakness of the board is a reason to No Deal? Am I missing something?

One-box game at five-box. Time to see if he really is a Wakeyist. Not long enough on the clock to celebrate a £50k win, is there? Oh-ho-HO, a cash-plus-prizes offer, with added family blackmail! By 'top of the range console' he clearly means either an Xbox 360 Elite or a PS3 80GB - both around £300 at the time of filming I believe. Some top-end mountain bikes can sell for four-figure sums (like these) - two of those bring the total offer past £6,500, around two-thirds of the mean on a one-box game and insta-Deal territory. Childrens' bikes are of course cheaper, the most expensive I found were these; two of those and two consoles come to about two grand in all, so treat as a £4k offer. Or, if you're Jerry, as the penultimate speed-bump before revealing what you've won.

Oh, it's a blue. After all that, he ends up losing courtesy of picking the number he meant to keep, and the Banker produces the most deranged moment of the season with an evil comedy offer.

And thus we have the finest example yet of the show's predicament. It is caught horrendously between being a show about gambling and a show about people, a show of mid-2000s origins and a show airing in the midst of the post-credit-bubble fallout, a show that openly induces recklessness and a show that resembles Noel's Recession Presents. You can almost feel the show trying to disown its past while being trapped in its own catchphrase-driven vernacular, never more so than when the contestants use it themselves. In that sense, Jerry's blue win could be a real turning point. Could.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:50 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

As soon as we got a player who clearly though the name of the game was "No deal or No deal" and turned down 2 relatively generous offers at 11 box and 8 box, it seemed there was only ever going to be one result.

Only interesting fact is that at 4 box, the £10/£50k finish of the last 2 days was still a 1 in 6 chance (although he then took those 2 out in successive boxes)

JuliePenguinFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:40 pm    Author: JuliePenguinFan    Post subject: Re: 01/09 Jerry

Shame, he took a risk but he clearly wanted to play to the very end whatever he was offered or whatever was showing, I guess he was true to his word in that respect. Pity he didn't go home with a decent amount though.

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]