Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:03 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:03 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:57 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne

Warnings: 0
I think she dealt at £20k because Cath's game was still playing in her mind, she should've ignored it and played her own game

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:59 pm    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne

I think the banker's gamble would usually be offered only when the deal amount at that time would have been close to the deal taken (with few exceptions, eg Alice's £250k win with final two of 1p-£250k)

£50-£50k final two would almost never see a £20k offer these days, hence unlikely that a banker's gamble would be offered there.

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

jonny

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:06 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne

Goldeneye wrote:
I think the banker's gamble would usually be offered only when the deal amount at that time would have been close to the deal taken (with few exceptions, eg Alice's £250k win with final two of 1p-£250k)

£50-£50k final two would almost never see a £20k offer these days, hence unlikely that a banker's gamble would be offered there.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I remember sitting in the audience thinking that she'd get the gamble, but then was surprised when Noel just opened her box. I thought the reason was simply because the game went on for SO long. I mean literally, it was easily the longest recording of the day...she deliberated over £16k for a LONG time, and then even longer over £20k - so I assume the banker/production realised they already had more than enough material for the episode, so hurried the ending up.

Anyway, Lynne's game was my favourite of the day all round, well done on the £20,000 :D

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

KP

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:06 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne
International Forums Moderator

She'd never have taken on the gamble in a million years. £14k was bang on for that board, and it's what I'd have won today.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:55 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne

Only caught that from the second break, Lynne seemed really lovely and was pleased she dealt when she did as she didn't seem the type to take an all-or-peanuts gamble, I could tell how important the £20k was to her, and Dave was spot on with his advice (even though he seems to have a reputation of being a bit of a stick in the mud!) - I would have though stick/banker' gamble to be used on £100k/blue there, especially for someone who seemed really nervous. Shame about the £50k in the box, but she seemed to have feelings for the last box on the wings so may have swapped if she'd been forced to the end. Plus I never think it's too bad if the only way to get more is by a big 2-box gamble.

I think both Lynne and Sean's games could have been really dramatic the way the boxes worked out if they'd happened in Birthday week! :)

Oh and I couldn't believe Pat finally had a blue - she had to today, as even her having the lowest remaining red when she was picked (£20,000) would have been really bad for the game - I would have been wishing for her to have an orange if she'd been picked early on! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:03 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne

Great game, with some amusing comic interludes - Lynn's attempts to get the builder in the audience to up his price for example.

Think the Banker was canny with that £20k offer and i can see exactly wwhat he was thinking, offering the middle amount on a 5 box board - especially one where the amounts are quite spread out, is very clever and forces the player to really concentrate on it.

It's a shame Lynne had £50k in her box, but she couldn;t have won it without a very risky gamble, and £20k is a very respectable result.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:18 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne

There was a difference of opinion at 5 box in our house today with me advocating a no-deal but it was one of those decisions where there were merits for either side.

I was reckoning £15k for the £50k/blue finish which would have been worth the small loss for the chance of an all red finish.

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:59 pm    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne

Goldeneye wrote:

I agree. I thought it would be offered on a £100k/blue finish, as the offer is usually about £20k for that situation. However, I don't think Lynne would have taken it. I was convinced she was going to deal at the third offer!

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:25 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne

Interesting game, I think I would've been slightly inclined towards a no-deal at 5-box despite the median being a reasonable offer on that board - 50k and 100k are significantly larger to warrant incentive and the 3 reds to 2 blues split makes it very tempting to carry on. The crunch is whether you're prepared for a drop of 5 or 6 thousand should you end up with the blue/ 50k finish as we saw. And I'd be perfectly happy to opt out at 14k at that stage.

Overall a good game, and not an unreasonable decision at the end, shame about the 50k in the box.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

KP

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:20 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/05 Lynne
International Forums Moderator

I'd happily take something in the mid-teens on £50k/blue and would be prepared to either hope for a 'rewarding courage' increase on £100k/peanuts or to crash to a blue if I didn't get one (I'd want low twenties on that finish). Lynne was arguably a tad out of her depth even getting to five-box, and so was quite right to get out at that point.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]