Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:47 pm Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 7:47 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next

wkd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:48 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

Warnings: 0
There are too many players who reject reasonable early offers only to deal relatively poorer offers at 8 or 5 box. This leads you to believe that they have acted against their better judgement, perhaps feeling that an early deal is seen as 'not playing the game.'

Maybe the pressure is subliminal, or imagined rather than real but it definitely seems to influence players thinking whether Noel, Endemol or researchers intend it.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:21 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel
International Forums Moderator

wkd wrote:
There are too many players who reject reasonable early offers only to deal relatively poorer offers at 8 or 5 box. This leads you to believe that they have acted against their better judgement, perhaps feeling that an early deal is seen as 'not playing the game.'

Maybe the pressure is subliminal, or imagined rather than real but it definitely seems to influence players thinking whether Noel, Endemol or researchers intend it.

You've nailed it. Wherever it comes from, it's there, and the players you mention (I can think of Marysia and Dot right off the bat) are proof of it. The question is where it comes from...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

DanJudge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:57 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

I've just seen srWilsons comments on Youtube. I gather he may be one of the guys banned from the site. I had to laugh when reading his comments. I feel really sorry that you had to put up with idiots like that.

He claimed it was greedy that I took a 3rd offer then went on to say how people should turn down big money to go for £250k........ Which is greedy, is it not??? Maybe we should try a new game where the offers were taken out of the game and the boxes get slowly opened until we have a prize, it could be called the "random box opening game", ha ha ha.

Then he came out with the old classic "you're only there once", which is true, but for that exact reason, why not ensure that you get a nice wedge of money on your only opportunity. I'm guessing that players who aim for the massive money and miss are haunted by the fact that they were "only there once".

Then he went on to say I was lucky with the proveout turning out as it did. Firstly, there are some maths that would show just why the deal wasn't a bad one, and secondly, He seems like he wants to use the proveout as proof of bad deals when they go wrong and then on this occasion, when it went right, suddenly the proveout isn't important, it was luck. What a great logic, that means that he can never be wrong, maybe he's a genius??

Wow! I'm so glad this guy is no longer on the forums. I can have a debate with anyone on here, because everyone (no matter whether their views differ from mine) is intelligent and polite, but it is so infuriating when arguing with idiots, because even the most reasoned arguments won't be taken in by people who are that thick-headed. thats why I will vent here in a moron free zone and won't rise to his vast muppet-ness on youtube.

So Well done dond.co.uk for kicking that guy off! I've really enjoyed coming on here and discussing all the games, and although I won't get a chance to watch the games after all my mates have been on, and realistically my interest in dond will probably drop, I will try to pop in from time to time. But you can't get rid of me yet though. Still got, Aby, Hannah, Johny, Alice, Russ and Doreen to name just a few games I am waiting to see......... oh and that guy on the right wing (east?) next to the board..... What's he called now????

rico7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

DanJudge wrote:
He claimed it was greedy that I took a 3rd offer then went on to say how people should turn down big money to go for £250k........ Which is greedy, is it not??? Maybe we should try a new game where the offers were taken out of the game and the boxes get slowly opened until we have a prize, it could be called the "random box opening game", ha ha ha.

Then he came out with the old classic "you're only there once", which is true, but for that exact reason, why not ensure that you get a nice wedge of money on your only opportunity. I'm guessing that players who aim for the massive money and miss are haunted by the fact that they were "only there once".

Exactly, If wanting to have 16K rather than £1 is greedy then that would make 99.99% of people guilty. Thankyou for pointing out how stupid the old adage "you're only here once" is used to justify Wakeyism. More appropriate would be "you're only here once, make the right decision to beat the banker to maximize your return!"

Quote:
......... oh and that guy on the right wing (east?) next to the board..... What's he called now????

He looks suspiciously like h? :ponder: ;-)

KP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:15 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel
International Forums Moderator

DanJudge wrote:
I've just seen srWilsons comments on Youtube. I gather he may be one of the guys banned from the site. I had to laugh when reading his comments. I feel really sorry that you had to put up with idiots like that.

He is. The other two were redrum666 (who never used to be that way but something changed) and Basicasic (who at least insulted people with style).

Quote:
He claimed it was greedy that I took a 3rd offer then went on to say how people should turn down big money to go for £250k........ Which is greedy, is it not???

Quite. By most peoples' definitions anyway.

Quote:
Maybe we should try a new game where the offers were taken out of the game and the boxes get slowly opened until we have a prize, it could be called the "random box opening game", ha ha ha.

We already have.

Quote:

One of my oldest bugbears. Rico7 debunks it at least as well as I ever could.

Quote:
...although I won't get a chance to watch the games after all my mates have been on, and realistically my interest in dond will probably drop, I will try to pop in from time to time. But you can't get rid of me yet though.

And nor would we want to!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:42 pm    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

DanJudge wrote:

Then he went on to say I was lucky with the proveout turning out as it did. Firstly, there are some maths that would show just why the deal wasn't a bad one, and secondly, He seems like he wants to use the proveout as proof of bad deals when they go wrong and then on this occasion, when it went right, suddenly the proveout isn't important, it was luck. What a great logic, that means that he can never be wrong, maybe he's a genius??

Wow! I'm so glad this guy is no longer on the forums. I can have a debate with anyone on here, because everyone (no matter whether their views differ from mine) is intelligent and polite, but it is so infuriating when arguing with idiots, because even the most reasoned arguments won't be taken in by people who are that thick-headed. thats why I will vent here in a moron free zone and won't rise to his vast muppet-ness on youtube.

So Well done dond.co.uk for kicking that guy off! I've really enjoyed coming on here and discussing all the games, and although I won't get a chance to watch the games after all my mates have been on, and realistically my interest in dond will probably drop, I will try to pop in from time to time. But you can't get rid of me yet though. Still got, Aby, Hannah, Johny, Alice, Russ and Doreen to name just a few games I am waiting to see......... oh and that guy on the right wing (east?) next to the board..... What's he called now????

Well unfortunately I replied to Sr Wilsons post on you tube to try and make him see reason but failed miserably.

If Dan had come onto the show with the sole intention of getting an offer near £20k and grabbing it and running then wouldn't he have taken the first offer which was generous in the extreme as the opening round was far from perfect. This was my first point I tried to make.

My next point was the fact that Dan used a different (and probably unique ?) approach not only in his game but on the wings too with the percentage probabilities and the other mathematical stuff so had assumed he used the same approach to decide that the 3rd offer deal was the right one to make.....which we now all know was the right decision despite what Sr W says.

So I think I will just keep to this forum in future for posting any thoughts on future games.

Jim

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:49 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

Yeah just leave it be, Jim.

On the wall, you'll always have either a person knowing when a deal is right for them, or a player who will look to get the most out of a game by recklessly gambling. Simple as that; any "nasty" or different opinions just go off the main argument on tangents...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:58 pm    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

Big-Davey wrote:
Yeah just leave it be, Jim.

On the wall, you'll always have either a person knowing when a deal is right for them, or a player who will look to get the most out of a game by recklessly gambling. Simple as that; any "nasty" or different opinions just go off the main argument on tangents...

Absolutely true Davey and that is why we all watch the show as no 2 shows are the same due to the different tactics of each player and of course the luck of the boxes. It would be pretty boring otherwise.

Jim

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

Which ironically is the very same reason why he still watches the show! :lol:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

DanJudge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:21 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

Big-Davey wrote:
Which ironically is the very same reason why he still watches the show! :lol:

Good point! ;)

Lego-Head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:05 pm    Author: Lego-Head    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

I can safely confirm that this is the most abuse I have electronically ever taken… So far I think me favourite comment has been “...maybe he was born without a sense of humour as well as no sense of style”.

Bad times for Rich…

DanJudge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:10 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

ha ha ha. The guy I was talking about on youtube ripped you aswell. He said that the only thing worse than me, was you!!

I haven't got a link to it, but if you search for "dond dan" I think it is the 2nd page of my game. I wouldn't worry about the guy on youtube, I did a quick survey and it turns out he is a bit of a moron.

You did look well P1553D of with the lego comment, but I knew you were cool with it when you (forcibly) kissed me. I felt violated!

clareclw1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:11 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

what is P1553D? :-D
Is this a numerical language for all you maths heads?!!!!! :laughing

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:12 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

He did - but I just thought he was putting a face-on for the cameras, you know like to extend the banter.

Welcome anyway Rich! :-D

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:13 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

clareclw1 wrote:

Read it properly; P I S S E D

:lol:

DanJudge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:22 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

More importantly, what does "A Pageboy Dots Visits
Donkey's Cockcrow Gunks Nerve " mean?

If it's rude, message me.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

It sounds like one of H's jokes, seeing as he had something similar in his signature a couple weeks back...

clareclw1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:14 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

Big-Davey wrote:
clareclw1 wrote:

Read it properly; P I S S E D

:lol:

I know....I was making a joke.... :-D (cos it had numbers in it....Oh well, nevermind!)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:18 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

You can't tell in writing if someone is joking or not...my bad :oops: :lol:

xuenilom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:19 pm    Author: xuenilom    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Daniel

I miss this Guy! He was a legend with his maths! :-D

[ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]