Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:16 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 2:16 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

tr4962

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:51 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Jackie

Warnings: 0
KP wrote:
I say there's one way to sort this out once and for all, and that's to steal a move from the US syndicated DoND playbook and give the contestant an opening swap offer before a box has been opened, with no other swap offers at any other point! Then players who have a given lucky number they want on the table can have it, those more fatalistic types who like to take what they're given can have that too, and there's no hypo swap confusion!!

A better thing to do would be offer the swap before the 2 box monetary offer

Lewis246

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:13 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Jackie

I'm fine with hypo swaps if there's a chance the player was struggling at the offer they dealt, and then there was a chance that they'd have gone to the end from there, as it would be playing with honesty. I couldn't see the point in Nicola's or Nev's swaps though - surely they'd have dealt their last offers?

Big D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:00 pm    Author: Big D    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Jackie

Simon F wrote:
mike wrote:

I'm not sure why Noel was so surprised when the Banker rang up and said he would guarantee a swap after Jackie mentioned her feelings for the other box. :ponder: With Noel saying the Banker is "prepared to break with protocol" & regarding it as "an astonishing offer [the swap]". Surely it's obvious by now that if you mention the feelings of another box then the chances are the Banker will ring up a few seconds later and guarantee a swap. So why Noel thought it was so astonishing that the Banker guaranteed a swap, even before Jackie dealt, was a bit :? .

I thought that at the time too. I'd imagine that the majority of games that get to 2 box in play have a swap offered.

I think the break with protocol was offering the swap before Noel asked the question, no? but it certainly wasn't astonishing for any other reason.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:19 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Jackie

tr4962 wrote:
KP wrote:
I say there's one way to sort this out once and for all, and that's to steal a move from the US syndicated DoND playbook and give the contestant an opening swap offer before a box has been opened, with no other swap offers at any other point! Then players who have a given lucky number they want on the table can have it, those more fatalistic types who like to take what they're given can have that too, and there's no hypo swap confusion!!

A better thing to do would be offer the swap before the 2 box monetary offer

Ooh, I like that thought - particularly as I think the hypo swap only really bares any relevance when the players deals at 2-box and not before. If it's just a "THIS is what you would have won if you'd said no-deal" then that's fine. If they've dealt earlier and had one or more offers in between the deal and the box opening, then it's a lot less relevant, as there's several different amounts you could have won in a full proveout after a deal.....

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:29 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Jackie
International Forums Moderator

And can you imagine how dramatic Bunney's prospective swap would have been with £250k still in play and the offer still unknown?!?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:40 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Jackie

This game had moments of entertainment, and Jackie ended up being more of a character than I thought she would be.

The £16,500 was a decent offer, one which I was suprised she no dealt. But i suppose by dealing at 2-box, she got a reasonable sum of money.

I've expressed before my hatred of hypothetical swaps, so thats my view.

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:22 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 07/12 Jackie

Yeah, I wasn't keen on the hypo swap but Jackie brushed it aside and still seemed happy with her result, so it didn't feel too bad.

I didn't get the impression she felt pushed into going on at 5-box, but she did consider the offer for longer than the others.

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]