Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:16 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 9:16 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:14 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Warnings: 0
Completely agree Kes!

We only ever get now, one of three things; a squander, a trainwreck or a £10,000 or £20,000 box win.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:24 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09
Administrator & Global Moderator

Big-Davey wrote:
Yes the deal was weak, but he had reasons. Did you hear the audience and how loud they cheered when he dealt? If that was such a bad call, they wouldn't have cheered so loudly.

I think they tend to cheer whenever the player deals a reasonably high amount. They were all clapping when Richard dealt his offer... need I say any more.

Mike was a nice enough bloke with a nice story regarding his wife about to give birth... but today's show was somewhat dominated by his early deal but there was some fun earlier on with Ray and the comments about his hair looking like a dead cat.

The deal itself was one of the more weaker ones but certainly nowhere near the worst we've ever seen. I thought a deal was on the cards at 11-box but when he said about going for it etc and taking a gamble I thought he'd no deal! And yet again an early deal goes wrong! :(

It's interesting reading Alex (wife of future contestant Claude)'s comments on today's show...

daniel4389

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:26 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Yawn...when someone said this show would be a talking point I was expecting something really good, but that was just dull; unlike seemingly the majority of people, I couldn't give a *beep* when people deal as long as it's an entertaining show, which that wasn't. I didn't even think it was that bad a deal, just slightly mediocre perhaps, and he was one of the most pointless contestants ever...I've already forgotten everything about him except that he was a fireman. Did he even mention motorbikes before that fifth offer? (Admittedly I was reading my new "Mamma Mia! How Can I Resist You?" book while watching the show so it may just be my fault for not paying attention...)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:27 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

So the most controversial game of season 4 so far, but also the biggest win of the season.

I don't think the Banker should have offered the extra £3,000 really. It seemed rather obvious that Mike was trying to push the offer up by mentioning how it was a little short from what he wanted more than once and I actually thought that when the Banker did phone up (because we all knew he would one way or another), that he wasn't actually going to increase it due to Mike being so obvious about wanting a little more.

I had a feeling that a 3rd offer deal was coming as there was a lot of thinking over it, and I couldn't quite read Mike just before he dealt. It seemed as if he may no deal, but then the camera shot into the audience to his friend seemed to be encouraging a deal.

I can see why people are disappointed (is that the right word?) and I must admit I was a little too. With such a run of bad luck lately and one of the strongest boards in a long time, it just seemed like there was more money in this game, and there was. So it's just a bit annoying that when we do get such a good board someone decides to deal at the 3rd offer, even though it wasn't that bad an bad offer.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09
Administrator & Global Moderator

Thread cleaned up & re-opened...

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:06 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

h2005 wrote:
They were all clapping when Richard dealt his offer... need I say any more.

Yeah, but not really on the same level though. In Richard's game there were gasps, and then a pause and then a few claps, after. I can see why Mike didn't really want to gamble (Baby tomorrow etc) but when it came to Richard's, he just said it would help him or something like that. :?

Richard's deal was worse. He dealt a lower offer with more of the higher amounts left than Mike did.

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:18 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Well, i watched the game at my Aunts house and i wasnt reading this while watching the game (thank god!)

All i can say i was happy he got £23,000, i actually liked Mike and really did not want to see another blue win or a trainwreck! Yes he could have had £50,000 but at the end of the day hes got £23,000! It could have soo easily gone wrong, weve seen in in the last week of games, a No Deal and then the biggies go and with £23,000 i cant really blame him really! I dont really care if i get flamed for saying this but im glad hes got £23,000 which is a very big amount of money!

Best of luck with the new baby Mike and enjoy £23,000!

matthew17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

lololololol

Last edited by matthew17 on Sun May 17, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wokoman88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:27 pm    Author: wokoman88    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Completly random point : that guy in the audience (if memory serves correctly) was not just a one-off. I sat behind him in Mary's game (although he did nothing then!) He is related to a future conestant.

Games I have seen Recorded:32 (of which 30 have been televised)
Next game to spot me: September 9th 2012

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:30 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Well I didn't see this game so don't know whether I would have liked Mike or not (he made little impression on me on the wings so I didn't really have any feeling towards him, either positive or negative), but it just seems like another case of "wrong player, wrong board".

I did see the thread before it had been locked, indeed I tried to post a reply which I believed tried to provide a balanced view of the arguments being presented, but I lost it due to being locked and forgot what I wanted to say. :?

I could understand the Wakeyists' reactions in that we've had to suffer a long run of bad luck and blue wins where the player has struggled to get anything out of the board, so can understand their frustration of someone leaving early on a good board (if this game had happened in early 07, I don't think the reaction would have been anything like this with power 5 wins coming thick and fast on other days), and I could also understand Mike's reaction (yes, i did see his post) - it's a natural reaction to be agressive back towards anyone making abusive comments about yourself.

I do also like constestants to post here and don't want them to be "scared off" by over-negative comments towards them or people they'd be really good friends with, and I like to hear their views, but also not many of them do stay around long after their shows have been aired, even those who have been positively received on here, I can only think of a handful off the top of my head those ex-contstants who have regularly posted after their games.

I have mixed views on the game myself, I am pleased someone has finally won something decent, it is preferable to a blue win, even though I'd have liked him to go on. At least the board was worse than Richard's when he dealt (75k and 35k not there - Richard still had them!) :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

The other thing is, I only think any of the wingers there would have known a good, bad or indifferent offer on that sort of board, since they probably won't have seen one on their time on the wings!! That seems to be why people can't seem to weigh up what's being offered to them against what's left on the board, naturally they just see what's being offered to them in pure terms.

The only people who would have are those who have followed the show very closely indeed like us members, I mean would any of them have remembered, say, Nick D's board and offers? :?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09
International Forums Moderator

Now that's a point! (Nick D had £75k and £35k but no £100k - I'd have taken his £31,000 third offer, and would have taken £31,000 here too.)

If this game had happened in early 2007, he would have gone to five-box... everyone seemed that easily influenced at the time!!

All I know is that Mike has come across as angry and frustrated, and this forum's extremely vocal disagreement with his decision is part of the reason for that, and that he's not got any major regrets about that decision.

And that I trust the moderators to handle the conflict.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Wendy47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:35 pm    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

I've been dreading seeing what would be written about Mike's game. To be honest I'd forgotten what he could have won (if you know what I mean) and only remembered what he'd gone away with. Watching it back made me cringe a bit as I'm sure it did to Mike.
I know I've said it before, but all normal thoughts seem to go out of your head when you actually get to play your game and it seems very unreal.
I think most of us would have gone on at least another couple of rounds but who's to say how it would have turned out. Remember the games that Mike saw and try and put yourself in his place, with a baby due, he made the right decision for him but I know he bitterly regrets not getting the bikes (but would he really have been offered them if he'd gone on??)

stupawley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:43 pm    Author: stupawley    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

This is just a message to those of you commenting on the level of applause and cheering on the show. Do you not realise that the applause and clapping they broadcast at a certain point in the show is not necessarily that which happened there and then?? They edit and cut lots of the show. It takes nearly two hours to film a show and that is squeezed in to 45 mins on the telly including ads so you only get to see a tiny bit of what goes on.

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:54 pm    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Wendy47 wrote:
I know he bitterly regrets not getting the bikes (but would he really have been offered them if he'd gone on??)

Thats a good point Wendy. They say that the player should play on with honesty if they deal before the end re order of choosing boxes for opening and also that the banker must also play with honesty with the proveout offers.......which does not always seem to be the case.

Mikes board at 5 box had a mean of about £65k. I dont know the value of the 2 bikes but someone on here said they could be about £9k each, so that on top of the £40k offer seems to make the total offer a bit inflated.

Jim

Wendy47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:04 pm    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

That's exactly what we thought. I really don't think Noel, the banker or any of the production team thought he would deal at the third offer and I think they were trying to emphasise the point that he had gone too early. Like you said, the banker doesn't always play on with honesty.

Hello Stuart by the way

stupawley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:10 pm    Author: stupawley    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Hello Wendy, people don't half get in to it on here don't they!!

Lets wait and see what they say after our shows!!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:12 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Yeah Jim makes a good point, why do the proveout offers always appear to be so "high" compared to the in-play offers? :?

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:13 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Like Dream offer Tom got offered a postcard on a 1k/3k finish, didn't he? :?

Wendy47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:16 pm    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: Mike 02/09

Stuart you will love it! They are proper fans and on the whole have some really valid points when they are criticising (we might not think so after our own games, you're right). I've really enjoyed reading some of the stuff though.

[ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]