Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:02 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:02 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:28 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Warnings: 0
Good point, Flamed

redrum666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:28 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
flamedtresses wrote:
Pj had a simular game and was offered something at the end of his game but i cant remember what :ponder: and len for his cardigan
also 50 shows lucy also got a job behind the scenes of dond so i think that brian isnt the first to be rewarded after

PJ had a final offer of a SWAP on a 1p vs £75k final 2, and then the banker offered him the viewer's prize which happened to be luckily £15,000 that day. That was more understandable as PJ was forced into no dealing at the end. 50 shows Lucy wasn't given the job as part of the broadcast show though (and presumably not only because she won a blue) and Len selling his cardigan only raised a few extra hundred pounds. There have been other instances - e.g. plane tickets being offered for Natasha, Glen's £100 being doubled to £200 and Rose being given an extra £400.

But today's game is the first where the player has been given an amount as large as almost £4,000 for simply having a trainwreck game.

2nd anniversary Helen got it for bugger all too... she knew the risks when she took them so it was her own fault, yet she was still awarded the £5,200 whatever that the banker had been desperately trying to give away to the other contestants earlier in the game.

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

ok thanks H i couldnt remember what PJ had been given
thanks KB

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:43 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Administrator & Global Moderator

I'm suddenly wishing there was another 4-week break coming up.

kestral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:43 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

redrum666 wrote:
kestral wrote:
Endemol have certainly shown recently and especially with today's show that they looking to aim the show at a different demographic in the viewers at the moment. With the current shows playing the more emotional and "sob story" approach, and today with the "feel good" ending that this demographic would find an uplifting ending to the show. This of course will not please the purists or "gameplayers" that we have here, as it more often than not provides the type of game that goes against everything they are looking for.

This logic is somewhat flawed as the show never relied on this in the beginning and still managed to pull in fantastic viewing figures everyday. Endemol underestimate the general public. As followers of the game to a greater extreme than most, we don't (as a whole) seem to like this approach and the general public may well do, but the games from the early days never used this approach and they were still very popular...

It may not have relied on it in the beginning, but perhaps now the production team or executives feel that the show needs to target a different group of viewers or provide more of a talking point to the show (And it's certainly done that today here :P )

As has been pointed out by others, how many shows now have an emotional element to their shows. As H mentioned, the X-Factor (although it may have always had this element) throws in quite a few segments now aimed to hit an emotional chord with the viewers.

You would certainly hope that the producers of the show have the understanding to realise that they at least need to provide a mix of contestants to please all their viewers and give a good variation of games (Although of course there is also the massive random element to the boxes that would upset any attempts at trying to provide a style of game)

redrum666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:46 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Permanently Banned

kestral wrote:
redrum666 wrote:
kestral wrote:
Endemol have certainly shown recently and especially with today's show that they looking to aim the show at a different demographic in the viewers at the moment. With the current shows playing the more emotional and "sob story" approach, and today with the "feel good" ending that this demographic would find an uplifting ending to the show. This of course will not please the purists or "gameplayers" that we have here, as it more often than not provides the type of game that goes against everything they are looking for.

This logic is somewhat flawed as the show never relied on this in the beginning and still managed to pull in fantastic viewing figures everyday. Endemol underestimate the general public. As followers of the game to a greater extreme than most, we don't (as a whole) seem to like this approach and the general public may well do, but the games from the early days never used this approach and they were still very popular...

It may not have relied on it in the beginning, but perhaps now the production team or executives feel that the show needs to target a different group of viewers or provide more of a talking point to the show (And it's certainly done that today here :P )

As has been pointed out by others, how many shows now have an emotional element to their shows. As H mentioned, the X-Factor (although it may have always had this element) throws in quite a few segments now aimed to hit an emotional chord with the viewers.

You would certainly hope that the producers of the show have the understanding to realise that they at least need to provide a mix of contestants to please all their viewers and give a good variation of games (Although of course there is also the massive random element to the boxes that would upset any attempts at trying to provide a style of game)

I think you're right about the producers probably feeling that they needed to change it all around- unfortunately it just seems that they've taken very much the wrong direction in a bid to become too much like other shows (such as X Factor) which is a real shame because DOND was so unique and different in the beginning.

It would be nice to see a bit of variety... again, unfortunately, we saw little of that in season 3 and I can't see much more of it coming in season 4. Hopefully Endemol can prove us all wrong though, however doubtful that may be.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:50 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Administrator & Global Moderator

redrum666 wrote:
Hopefully Endemol can prove us all wrong though, however doubtful that may be.

I'm sure Endemol know what they're doing. They're certainly not going to let a ratings winner like DOND die.

redrum666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:52 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
redrum666 wrote:

I'm sure Endemol know what they're doing. They're certainly not going to let a ratings winner like DOND die.

Oh it'll never die, because the general public lap up all the camaraderie and the sob stories like there's no tomorrow. Endemol have got that demographic spot on. In terms of catering for the die hard fans, they seem well off and they've certainly let the game become somewhat of a parody of itself in recent times. But as long as that pulls in viewers regardless, they won't care.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:08 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

I was out and taped the show but suffice to say tomorrow's game will be getting taped over it. Don't think I can add anything to what's been said already except I haven't got a PM yet becuase I've only just loggen on. I'll expect one sometime soon then. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

trickymahonia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 pm    Author: trickymahonia    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Do you know, I have had the date marked on the calender for a while now and was really looking forward in a way to today. New series, visiting the board again. I knew not much in the game would have changed due to the short break that H has kindly mentioned, however it looks like the forum board is back to the same old same old. No mellowing in the 4 week break then.

Today wasn't the best show for many reasons, most have been discussed already.

I shan't do personal pms, but my only wish apart from the players not saying come on and get in all the time, is that forum members do not post what has happened before either Kestral or H has posted the box openings. As someone who follows the thread along with the show on Channel 4 catch up, I do find it really annoying, when "Oh there goes the £50,000" is chipped in, before the end of round catch up from the commentator. Just a small thing, but then things can get annoying can't they.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:47 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Oh, actually what I did find interesting today what that the newbies from the fina week before the break looked loads different to how I thought they did, amazing what not having to wear a ridiculous costume does for somebody. Especially Lisa. ;-)

And I suppose it was good that Brian got the money he needed at the end, but it is a dangerous precedent as I don;t know what he did to be more "deserving" of it that others who have won low blues and that's been all they've had to show for it. If it was up to me everyone who had won a blue and been unlucky would take home a few grand at the end, especially if they've been entertaining with it, like Derek brown for example. :)

Just as offering "undeal" regularly is a dangerous precedent, it's been used so much recently, I almost expect it any time the amount dealt for is within the scope of what could be offered, whether it's towards the high end like Stoney and Dirty George got or the low end like Ann and William got. I was thinking today I'd deal the £3,200 then get another shot at 15k if it remained at 2-box with a blue, which is totally at odds with normal thinking! :?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

basicasic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
redrum666 wrote:

They could stick a tape on showing the same show for a month and the average semi-vegetative viewer wouldn't notice. There is no incentive to encourage gambling or risk taking (or even board-reading) as they will lap-up any old rubbish.

The more discerning viewer has to suffer as Endemol punt out sob-stories and slush as they pander to the lowest common denominator.

chisell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:30 pm    Author: chisell    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

I have found it very amusing to read the comments from some of you. Oooo, I would gamble all the way, cant believe the people that dont! Thats what everyone says at the auditions. Youd all be the same, the only difference is most of you wont get a chance. Brian is a great guy and he doesnt just have to talk about the program on the internet. I'll help a couple of you out as I have come to terms with what is/is not accepted on the show.

Basicasic: Youve been on the internet all day discussing this show. Dont think you could fill the inerview at the beginning of the show with your life.

Redrum: You criticise sob stories but you of all people should understand the disappointments in life looking like shrek.
Keep talking guys, you'll never get close. Well done Brian.

Last edited by chisell on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:31 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Ah, how I was looking forward to a brand new season, a chance to forget the bad luck, shocking decisions and endless sob stories that had tainted the last season, and the return to the halcyon days of Deal or No Deal circa January 2007...

...or so I hoped. But Brian was the worst kind of emotionally-charged, over-excited contestant we have seen on the show. I've never been so depressed watching an episode, it just seemed to be a platform for self-centred pity, which ultimately the banker fell for.

I suppose one element which was mildly surprising was that he wasn't as cautious as I thought he might be, but as it turned out that just prolonged the torture. The banker offering to pay off his loan just made a mockery of the whole show, the whole premise for the show, the last 811 shows; if you gamble and win a blue, that's just tough luck - why is it a different rule for Brian? It's like betting red on a roulette wheel, it coming up black, and the croupier saying, "Ah, never mind, you can have your money back". As other people say, a dangerous and worrying precedent.

It wasn't as if the banker had given a forcing offer beforehand. £3,200 was respectable for the board, I thought. I understood (partly) why he offered a bonus in PJ's game, but this had no reasoning behind it whatsoever. (Someone cries a bit and they get their money? They'll all be doing it now...)

If the banker's not going to play his role properly, there is no game anymore - not for the purists, anyway.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Last edited by StatsMan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:32 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

are you a contestant brent?

chisell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 pm    Author: chisell    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Yes flamed. Had the pleasure of meeting Brian.

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:38 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

when do you appear on our screens :) do you take over from him?

SrWilson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Permanently Banned

I hope you actually play the game Brent, someone needs to! and Not look for a quick cop out.

Then again if they allowed you on they must think you arent a gambler since they won't risk gamblers generally since trying to save money.

Off note = LOL first thread of series 4 and its in 10 pages lol.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:04 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

I knew this forum would go bananas over Brian's extra prize! When he spend ages pondering the £10k 2nd offer, I was half hoping he'd deal, just to see the reaction on here. It seems a bit unfair that Brian got an extra prize after a trainwreck. What about all the other contestants that have had horrible games and got nothing?

Maud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:24 am    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Brent wrote:
I have found it very amusing to read the comments from some of you. Oooo, I would gamble all the way, cant believe the people that dont! Thats what everyone says at the auditions. Youd all be the same, the only difference is most of you wont get a chance. Brian is a great guy and he doesnt just have to talk about the program on the internet. I'll help a couple of you out as I have come to terms with what is/is not accepted on the show.

Basicasic: Youve been on the internet all day discussing this show. Dont think you could fill the inerview at the beginning of the show with your life.

Redrum: You criticise sob stories but you of all people should understand the disappointments in life looking like shrek.
Keep talking guys, you'll never get close. Well done Brian.

You do realise people are allowed an opinion yes???? Who gives flying *beep* if anyone off of here gets on the show, your not special for getting on it you know, its not a huge deal in life really, you shall not be the next big thing, get over it.

You should really do your research too, red is not the person in the avi, and yes we all agree it looks like Shrek on a bad day, I can only imagine your picture is worse.

Last edited by Maud on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]