Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:18 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 2:18 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:04 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Warnings: 0
No! :( :cry:
I really wanted her to get the £100k, that poor woman! :smt011

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:10 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

That literally was 1p Trevor again except for the 100k, and she won't even get remembered like Trevor did, and £5 is still nothing really. Once again the banker gets away with offering sh*t and was one box away from total punishment. Games like this suddenly make me think dealing 20k on a great board is a good idea again.

Gottta admire her for taking it so well, especially knowing what the 2-box offer would have been if she'd picked the other box. If it had been me I think I'd have ended up exploding and telling the banker where he could shove the Mickey Mouse watch....

It's one of those "can't eat my dinner" games.....

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:15 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

That was horrible,

It was one of those ends where i just think, "If only she choose that other box", She was such a lovely lady and she even made cakes for the banker and he gave her such a horrible offer at 5-box! She took it soo well, such a shame she didnt get more!

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:30 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

I liked Christine and I thought the cakes she made for the Banker & Noel were really well designed, especially the Banker's one with all the details.

I wasn't keen on the Banker making two dream offers in a row and I thought his offer at 5-box was disappointingly low. It's so frustrating when a player gets to 3-box and they find the big number, especially knowing what the Banker was going to offer.

A disappointing end to the game, but I thought Christine was right in no dealing £3,000 at the time (obviously in hindsight it wasn't) and take the risk. It's just a shame it didn't pay off.

Last edited by Michael DeVere on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:31 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Another trainwreck!

Gotta admit, although we're seeing dream offers, the monetary value of them aren't very impressive so kudos to her for declining them.

That last dream offer would have been some offer though...but as usual the killer 20th box!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:04 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07
Administrator & Global Moderator

mike wrote:
I liked Christine and I thought the cakes she made for the Banker & Noel were really well designed, especially the Banker's one with all the details.

I wasn't keen on the Banker making two dream offers in a row and I thought his offer at 5-box was disappointingly low. It's so frustrating when a player gets to 3-box and they find the big number, especially knowing what the Banker was going to offer.

I agree about the cakes - very well designed. I also agree about the dream offers and 5-box offer.

The dream offers thing was a bit overdone but I think we're fairly used to them happening now, so it's nothing new any more. Why the 5-box offer was so low I don't know. As rico said, Reg got offered £10,500 when he had a very similar board to Christine's. She should've been rewarded for being brave and turning down the dream offers, rather than being punished. :?

And I wonder if Endemol have a load of Mickey Mouse watches they need to shift? Because as others have said, I'd have thought the watch would've been worth more than £2.50 (the mean on that final 2) and even possibly more than £5! Christine was a nice lady though and had a good attitude, although we'll never find out what her true gameplay style was like due to the presence of dream offers and also the shockingly bad 5-box offer.

Unix eight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:06 pm    Author: Unix eight    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

One of the top 5 most heartbreaking games. The fact that she seemed just such a perfect person made it so much worse. Wonderful woman who deserved so much more luck, I havent been so upset over a game since Joy played. :(

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07
International Forums Moderator

There were higher blues, though. And it's not like Endemol can't afford it.

A funny end to a dark game. We'll never know what her gambling attitude really was as £3k was a joke, but it seems as though she'd have won life-changing money early this month...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:15 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Unix eight wrote:
One of the top 5 most heartbreaking games. The fact that she seemed just such a perfect person made it so much worse. Wonderful woman who deserved so much more luck, I havent been so upset over a game since Joy played. :(

Definitely on a par with Joy - that game too had Joy being one from away from a huge offer (that was 8-box IIRC) like this, but she still had the chance to come back whereas when you;re left with 1p and £5 you're going home with nothing whatever. At least Christone didn;t break down at the end but I guess the stage of the game the cruelty occurred even that out. :(

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:25 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

I can only think the reason she was offered rubbish at 5-box compared to Reg was becuase they didn;t want more or less the game sort of game to happen 2 days in a row. It does seem totally unfair but I guess thats the game. It wasn't as though there was a logical reason for the offers to be low like in Marysia's game.

Also they'd have given her the holiday anyway if she'd been one of the Christmas Stars - she was in the same sort of circumstances as they were so them getting all those bonus prizes even if they won blues (the guy who won a blue then got some motor racing package with Nigel Mansell springs to mind), seems to be taking the mockery too.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:51 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Aaron Brock wrote:
Disappointing end, but I'm enjoying these shows a lot more.

Same here, despite the outcome I thought that was a brilliant game with a really likeable character. After Marysia's game which IMO was one of the worst of all-time we've had three great ones in a row. My only issue was with the pathetic £3k offer, especially as Noel introduced it by saying "He could have gone really low but you were very brave in turning down the last offer"...if that's not really low then I'd hate to see what is!

StuartPlymouth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:07 pm    Author: StuartPlymouth    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Poor Christine. I really hoped she was going to get that really good offer just before the end and take it - hopefully having 1p in her box.

Such a shame, because she really had the bottle to carry on! Ah well, at least she got £5 and not 1p in the end.

I thought her cakes looked amazing, such detail. I loved the idea of the ironing board with a "£" sign cover :lol: I quite fancy one of those!

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Perhaps the offer of a Mickey Mouse watch was not a watch with Mickey Mouse on it, but a mickey mouse watch i.e. one you could have bought from a pound shop.

Thought she might have taken the second holiday offer today. Doing some research 10 nights at Disney resorts could be easily £2,000. Flights £2,000 minimum also. With park tickets and the special stuff, could easily be close to £10k value.

Sunshine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:04 pm    Author: Sunshine    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

I thought Christine played a fantastic game I felt really sorry for her not winning enough money to achieve her dreams :cry: :smt009 :crying if only she had picked the box that would have given her the dream holiday and twenty grand spending money...

Had I been Christine I think I would have dealt at the dream holiday offer with a grands spending money who else on here would have done the same?

I loved that cake she made she is one very tallented lady and I wish her well and hope that she can oneday achieve all her dreams as she so deserves to!

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Well, what a horrible finish. After discovering the £250,000 in the first round, she nearly completes the turnaround by leaving the £100,000 to the final 2 - only to discover it in the last box she chose, made even more gutting by the fact she (and we) knew what the next offer would be. It made incredibly painful viewing, as Christine was a very likeable character, who deserved a lot more than £5.

I'm not sure what to make of all these dream offers. They're ok in the right contexts, and very occasionally, but it does take some of the decision-making away from the viewer, because I'm sure most people enjoy the 'play-along' factor in working out what they would do, and these are usually very personal offers. Having said that, I am a theme park addict... :lol:

Right attitude, unfortunately wrong result, but the overall quality of shows this week has improved, which is encouraging.

Oh, and generosity stats are cancelled for obvious reasons.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:33 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Here's some pics of Christine's great cakes.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Also any idea what this gold envelope on the pound table was about. :
It seemed to appear after the first break. :ponder:

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Ugh stupid 3K offer - i think £5,999 would have worked a lot better there, I guess what James said was right but hardly a decision there. More surprised at Reg's offer generosity TBH.

well a slightly interesting game anyway although the dream offer was a bit tacky with a bit of tension and she took it well

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rockjack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 pm    Author: Rockjack    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

Thats awful after all the big reds she had lately..

dougal18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:20 am    Author: dougal18    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

killersbee wrote:
I hope Lance and Louise are ashamed of themselves! :roll:

I sure they are enjoying their five figure wins and are pleased they didn't end up with a fiver for "playing the game".

Dave's advice about the 1 in 5 chance of having the £100,000 was dreadful. He forgot that Christine just had to avoid finding it for a much higher offer.

Shame the cake maker didn't win hundreds and thousands.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:52 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: Christine 17/07

I liked christine and i thought she played the game well, showing real bravery in the face of some attrocious bad luck, I also thought she was a very talented cake maker.

I did have a problem with the heavy emphasis on the dream offers, mainly because they seemed to come out of nowhere - did i miss the bit where she said she really wanted to visit a Hong Kong theme park? :ponder:

Dream offers are kind of nice around the 11 box/ 8 box stage when you know how much they mean to the player and when they have an exclusivity about them (Like the VIP passes) but i do think the Banker over used them on this occassion - he should offer it once and once only IMO

Heartbreaking conclusion, a real come down after the last couple of days,

[ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]