Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:36 am Last visit was: Tue May 21, 2024 2:36 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

mollymoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:26 am    Author: mollymoo    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
I have no gripes and am not unhappy with the outcome in any way. What you have seen is what was there but perhaps some people jumped on the bandwagon and looked for a scapegoat for the previous shows in my opinion.
Obviously, when i did play i did not conform to the expected and all i say is that i felt true to myself on the day.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:31 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Probably right - almost every episode in the week before you were on had a Deal I considered shocking, and I'm famous around here for my supposed cowardice.

Maybe they edited you in this light purely to make your No Dealing seem more shocking. That would be classic Endemol. As some other site says, 'Endemol don't make game shows. They make semi-unscripted dramas.' Your advice - seemingly full of contradictions, and probably more the sort of thing Noel should be saying, instead of what he said at the start of your game which is something he has no right to say even if the audience think it (and judging from this site, many of them do!) - in conjunction with your gameplay and that of others provided the perfect Endemol 'storyline'.

I've learned from this week. Deal or No Deal is no less of a storyline-driven show than Big Brother. I think it's all the worse for it, and have no intention of following it much more (if at all) in future (though I've said it before - and indeed only follow the games from here rather than on the telly, so I've missed a fair bit, but trust this site to interpret the action well). That is no criticism of you, it is a criticism of Endemol. And I feel horrendously sad and bad for falling into their trap.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

mollymoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:32 am    Author: mollymoo    Post subject:

KP i never felt obliged to do anything. I am a competitive person by nature and hate losing.
My goal was always to win as much money as was possible and seek a life changing sum.
Mine appears higher than others.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

I didn't agree fully with some of the advice you gave on the wings Les, but I do admire you for coming on here and making that post.

mollymoo wrote:
I am not right and equally you are not wrong.

I particularly liked that bit. I don't agree with some members who went a bit too far and said you "deserved to win a blue" and in fact I deleted a post last night from a member who had gone too far (in my opinion) with their criticism of you. :shock:

You have to have a certain quality to be able to read criticism of yourself and not want to defend yourself by lashing out... and I think you have that quality which can only be a good thing.

I have always maintained that if you go on a TV show you have to expect good and bad stuff to be said about you on the internet. I've seen some contestants who respond to criticism on here with stuff that's just as bad as the initial criticism and it doesn't do any favours for anyone - it just creates arguments and so forth.

Almost no-one on here knows you as a person and we can only go by what's shown on TV. It's a shame if stuff is edited out (like this Mr Cheese stuff) as it can drastically change people's opinions of someone. As a person you seem a nice caring Dad, but as a DOND player you seemed to be all over the place from your advice on the wings. It does sound though as this is yet another case of "mal-editing"... :?

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:38 am    Author: KP    Post subject:

That is interesting. I'm competitive too, but in a different way. I'm so sucked in by the maths of this game that I end up analysing and over-analysing the game. With nothing to 'lose' (though you can make gains then have them wiped out) I see the game as almost like a series of investment decisions, I suppose. Perhaps that's why I'm more risk-averse than you are in this context.

In a way my approach is actually much the same as the cautious players of recent weeks, only with far more mathematical consideration and complexity. This tends to lead to decisions some consider surprising, like taking generous but modest offers on bad boards while turning down large but relatively stingy offers of the kind so often taken before your game.

For what it's worth, I'd have taken the final offer in your game but instantly turned down the first five.

I'm very impressed that you have come on here to discuss your experiences. I think only a couple of people have lost £25,000 or more on a game show and not had a substantive consolation prize (thinking of all the big losers on Millionaire who still had £32,000 with that wording). It's fascinating to see your reply, and great to see you're so philosophical, especially after the vitriol aimed at you - which turned out to be not aimed at you, but at the character Endemol spun you into.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:40 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

KP wrote:
I've learned from this week. Deal or No Deal is no less of a storyline-driven show than Big Brother.

I haven't followed Big Brother at all, but I did dip into it when it first started many years ago, and I strongly suspect there's selective editing going on to show certain contestants in certain lights. I'm sure the same goes on with other reality TV shows such as I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here... and I'm sure it happens on DOND too which is almost a reality TV show as there are 22 people we get to know and like (or dislike!).

KP wrote:
only follow the games from here rather than on the telly, so I've missed a fair bit, but trust this site to interpret the action well).

I like to think the commentaries provided on here are a balanced view of the show, and Kes and I try to include all the relevant details of the game. That's why I think it's important that the number of people providing commentaries is kept to a minimum to provide a consistent commentary. I know I always make my thoughts known in posts separate to the commentary I'm providing as I like to provide a balanced view of the show to those who can't / don't want to watch it live.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

KP wrote:
That is interesting. I'm competitive too, but in a different way. I'm so sucked in by the maths of this game that I end up analysing and over-analysing the game. With nothing to 'lose' (though you can make gains then have them wiped out) I see the game as almost like a series of investment decisions, I suppose. Perhaps that's why I'm more risk-averse than you are in this context.

Your approach is undoubtedly very analytical and maybe too much so for a show like DOND where the 22 contestants get to know each other and discuss their thoughts / feelings etc. about everything back at the hotel. You said yourself that you're not really interested in the contestants on the show, more the game itself.

When you're actually there in the studio you would probably find the emotions of the other players would change your attitude towards the game. It might not, and I hope if I ever got on the show as a contestant that I wouldn't be swayed by Noel or anyone else, but until I'm actually there, I couldn't really say. In fact there was a thread about this somewhere else on the forum and I'm pretty sure that most of the forum members here would probably change in some way or another if they actually got on the show.

mollymoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:48 am    Author: mollymoo    Post subject:

h2005:

'Who the hell is Les? Can't say I've noticed him at all, and haven't seen people mention him on here at all. Wonder what advice he'd give if he'd spoken on the wings?'

Not a cynic but who put this unbiased commentary on today.

Hey, i just laugh but was there a slight hint of he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about on the advice front?

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:52 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

I wasn't providing the commentary today so it wasn't necessarily unbiased from me today. ;) My post there was more a sarcastic remark as I had noticed you a lot, partly due to everyone discussing you!

mollymoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:58 am    Author: mollymoo    Post subject:

:D No problem, you just get a little paranoid after a while.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

:lol: Well during the commentaries, when I actually type out the boxes and say what's in them / who's opened them etc. I do remain totally neutral, but after the show or during shows where I'm not commentating (such as today's) then I do post my opinions. :P

However yes - that post I made at the start of today's show thread was a joke as you have been discussed so much on here in the past few days, you'd have to be blind not to have noticed you on the show!! :P

Tom22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:03 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:
:lol: Well during the commentaries, when I actually type out the boxes and say what's in them / who's opened them etc. I do remain totally neutral, but after the show or during shows where I'm not commentating (such as today's) then I do post my opinions. :P

I cant remember which game it was but did you or did you not put LOL :lol: after the players box was opened? :unsure

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:04 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

Tom22 wrote:
h2005 wrote:

I cant remember which game it was but did you or did you not put LOL :lol: after the players box was opened? :unsure

Yes then swiftly edited it out and put it in the post afterwards so it wasn't in the commentary. Naughty Tom22 trying to catch me out. :twisted:

dougal18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:17 am    Author: dougal18    Post subject:

mollymoo wrote:
Max thank you for your post.
I was determined not to post/bite after the vitriol/posts which have been sent my way.

Flame them into oblivion. They spew bile towards the contestants on a daily basis. It's about time someone defended themselves.

I was surprised when you No Dealt the £25k and hoped you had the £100k. It is typical that someone who goes for it ends up with a blue.

Thanks for telling us about the stuff that was edited out.

Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 am    Author: Stephen    Post subject:

Well Les that was some game ,I thought your advice had similarities to my old mate 1p Adam and expected the gambler's approach.You tried for the Big Box and you had a 50% chance and on the day it didn't work out which I feel you deserved the reward but that's the split second gamble it also proves what a honest game we've played as you wouldn't have been offered the swap.Good luck for the future to you and your family.

croftrock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:59 am    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

mollymoo wrote:
I have no gripes and am not unhappy with the outcome in any way. What you have seen is what was there but perhaps some people jumped on the bandwagon and looked for a scapegoat for the previous shows in my opinion.
Obviously, when i did play i did not conform to the expected and all i say is that i felt true to myself on the day.

Les you've hit the nail on the head. If there's one thing I know about this forum it's that it HAS to find a scapegoat. Nothing is luck or coincidence; there's always someone to blame. Usually it's Noel/Endemol/The editing/The casting - and it's all about as expert and accurate as any other conspiracy theory site!

I thought you came over brilliantly in the previous shows. I'm willing to bet that you were edited in a lot purely because your advice was clear and concise and therefore it fit nicely in a short show. And for the record, I thought your advice was good - and more importantly, the people on the show obviously did too "you're a great reader of the board" said the Banker - that means they expected ordinary fans of the show would agree. Ordinary viewers will have been DESPERATE you got the £100K after that immense no deal. These guys, much as I love them all, are not ordinary!

Your advice was good but the luck was bad which was your downfall on here.

You were slated on here because you were talking from a human angle and on here it's all about the maths/seizing the moment. So you are a vicar and they are all atheists!

No-one in the real world cares about the maths, they care about the people. You were ace and I wish you'd got 100K.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:49 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

That's the most amusing way of putting the differences between this place and other viewers I've ever seen. We know this game very well - perhaps too well.

That said, I'd strongly disagree I'm about 'seizing the moment' - though most of this forum has slipped into that mindset after a spate of mathematically poor Deals. I don't think you were specifically mentioning me though.

Woodvale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:51 pm    Author: Woodvale    Post subject:

I find it amazing that people can decide they don't like someone they've never even met on the basis of a few comments made on the wings. I also find it very spiteful to then hope tht person ends up having a bad game and only winning peanuts.
Personally I admire brave players and hope they get the rewards they deserve, there's no doubt that Les was such a player and I was gutted when he didn't win the 100k. It's a great pity Les couldn't have had the ammount in his box the three earlier cowardy custard players had, if so he'd have won the 250 or 100k which would have been richly deserved.

Rockjack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:12 pm    Author: Rockjack    Post subject:

aaargh..i thought with his final 5 4 blues and the 100k and then gettin 3 blues youd think that was great luck and 25k was great

i think he wanted to go all the way coz of the last 3 cowards before him.

shame cos after taking out them 3 blues he shouldnt of chanced it some more as he had so much luck..shame.

croftrock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:11 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

KP wrote:
That's the most amusing way of putting the differences between this place and other viewers I've ever seen. We know this game very well - perhaps too well.

That said, I'd strongly disagree I'm about 'seizing the moment' - though most of this forum has slipped into that mindset after a spate of mathematically poor Deals. I don't think you were specifically mentioning me though.

No, quite right, I wasn't. I think for the most part in fact the maths/seize the moment camps are by definition mutually exclusive. I just think those are the key groups here and neither is typical in the real world.

I'm not criticising either. I love the debate on here! Even if lots of it is pretty out there!

[ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]