Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:14 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 6:14 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

dougal18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:05 am    Author: dougal18    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
Congratulations to Carol for playing the game in the way she wanted to and not Endemol's. Noel and The Banker's collective attempts to goad the contestant into No Dealing were seriously offensive. It was a joy to see it backfire. Pity she couldn't get an OPW.

wkd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:35 am    Author: wkd    Post subject:

Quote:
The last brave player was Betty as far as I am concerned.

You're forgetting poor old Mavis. Yvi gave it a decent go as well.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:08 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject:

Well I was a little dissapointed she dealt as once again i felt there was at least one more round in it.

I do think it's frustrating when the player walks away from a strong board with what I would consider a below par offer as happened again with Carol. I'm not saying she should have played it to the end whatever happened but it was definatly worth another punt

To be honest though i wouldn't be so upset if her decision had been vindicated. If the board had collapsed in the very next round i'd have been happy to applaud her for getting out at the right time.

for me the game is about seeing the player make a profit on their box but the way they are playing at the moment they are not only losing out, they are doing so by a ridiculous margin.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:46 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Duffer wrote:
I think it's even more galling when the only 'skill' that the contestants are actually required to have on DOND is the ability to differentiate between a good offer and a bad offer... there is nothing more to the game apart from that. Even a gerbil could eventually choose 22 boxes to open if you gave it enough time.

I can remember when it first started that DOND prided itself on the fact that anyone could be a contestant - players that might not have been accepted onto conventional quiz/game shows could succeed as the game didn't need a wide general knowledge or a particular level of intelligence to take part. I've no idea if some of the contestants view DOND as 'easy money' for that very reason, but it would be ironic if such a noble and all-encompassing policy proved ultimately to be its undoing.

This post (and similar by others) is very telling indeed. Don't forget this format originated as a bonus round at the end of a quiz show, and was never intended as a standalone show. Even the first wave of European versions shoehorned a quiz element in, though to no effect as everyone on the wings played eventually.

Any other time I'd totally agree with dougal18. In fact I'm sure I've used those very words before, and I agree that goading players on is indeed offensive and encouraging gambling outside the scope of DoND, where actual losses do occur (playing on the basicasic 'nothing to lose' maxim that's been unsurprisingly appropriated by more people at present). Only problem is that by naively going on to the First Acceptable Deal Point of eight-box, then wimping out, she probably was 'playing by the rules of someone else's game'.

(Trivia time! The above quote is from which musical?)

Anyway. I'm increasingly agreeing with the consensus that this is the origin. Probably a disproportionate number of DoND contestants - certainly compared to the average quiz show, even the ITV daytime ones - are from lower socio-economic groups, and/or are less educated. The people who, in short, wouldn't get past £10,000 on Millionaire (get used to it, it's been like it for a year), less likely to have the mathematical knowledge needed to discern what's a good offer and what isn't, and - this is the critical bit if you ask me - the group most affected by the credit crunch and food/fuel price inflation. Twenty grand is life-changing for such people, and probably moreso now than it was eighteen months ago at the height of Wakeyism (at which point, most of the same factors were working, but not the ones that implied financial difficulty, and now the result was a psychological vulnerability, not to the prospect of losing, but to Noel. I don't know whether to be pleased or not that something has defeated that one...)

It is terribly hard to say whether a quiz should be added. It would imply that some people somehow don't deserve the chance to play - and the notion of judging who deserves a chance to win big money on a game show is so tricky there are entireformats devoted to it.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:27 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

I'm not 100% convinced that the rather unstable financial climate is causing this wave of cautiousness. It probably has a certain effect though. I think the main factor is the bad luck that "cursed" the show from early spring until the end of June. This seems to have lingered in people's minds. I find it strange that after a week of games where HUGE money could've been won, the players are still worried about the bad games. Even "gamblers" have dealt poor offers on good boards.

The show feeds off variety, which includes variety in luck, gameplay and the contestants. March 2007 was the worst period ever in my opinion: the contestants dull, blue chanting was everywhere and the deals which were made were mainly good but Noel did his best to scupper them, so people cried over mega money wins. :shock:

I don't think the past few weeks have been the worst ever overall, but it's almost definitely been the worst ever in terms of gameplay. Some would argue that January 2007 was the worst ever due to the "reckless" gambling - but at least the reckless gambling of that period did provide some excitement - something which poor early deals can't do. Luckily we've had a few characters like Slim and Jess recently who have maintained my interest in the contestants. If this run of monotonous bad decisions is matched by a dull group of contestants in the coming weeks, then this period will be the worst ever for me.

thundercat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:45 am    Author: thundercat    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:
I'm not 100% convinced that the rather unstable financial climate is causing this wave of cautiousness. It probably has a certain effect though. I think the main factor is the bad luck that "cursed" the show from early spring until the end of June. This seems to have lingered in people's minds. I find it strange that after a week of games where HUGE money could've been won, the players are still worried about the bad games. Even "gamblers" have dealt poor offers on good boards.

Absolutely, but these so called 'gamblers' tend to be the select few that pretend they are there to play the game for whatever it throws at them, when in reality they are the same, boring old targetist. This may be seen as an advantage as the banker sometimes takes to this 'I am a gambler' attitude and offers them slightly better money for the board. While this is better than the current gameplay, it's still a pretty dirty tactic and I think March/April 2007, as you described, showed a lot of this 'bull' so to speak.

I think another problem that the show faces is that even though there is little hope in the current 'wingers', I assume one person will be 'swayed' by the presence of big numbers on the table, and probably 'just go for it'. While this is certainly something the show needs at the moment, you can just imagine that the amount of luck on the table cannot hold, and the player will probably go to the end in the classic overdue trainwreck and win £750 or less, further enhancing a targetists ambition of bailing out for whatever money pleases them, oblivious of the board's strength.

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

The whole last nine months have been absolutely diabolical.

The main problem as I see it is one of self-perpetuation. A contestant may join the show full of enthusiasm, bravery and gambling intent but by time they have 2 weeks in the company of (and watched roughly 22 shows of) 22 spineless greedy numpties who can't muster 2 brain cells between them blubbing their way to yet another ghastly cautious cash grab they become exactly the same.

I honestly think the only way to stop the rot is to get rid of the lot of them and start afresh. But that wont happen because there is probably another 6 months of this tripe already in the can.

beaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject:

dougal18 wrote:
Congratulations to Carol for playing the game in the way she wanted to and not Endemol's. Noel and The Banker's collective attempts to goad the contestant into No Dealing were seriously offensive. It was a joy to see it backfire. Pity she couldn't get an OPW.

It didn't backfire though as No Dealing would have been the correct decision

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:10 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Backfired in that the intended No Dealing pressure failed as Carol was obviously cautious and strong-willed (yes, those two aren't opposites) enough to say 'no, that's enough'.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

croftrock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:20 am    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

KP wrote:
Duffer wrote:
I think it's even more galling when the only 'skill' that the contestants are actually required to have on DOND is the ability to differentiate between a good offer and a bad offer... there is nothing more to the game apart from that. Even a gerbil could eventually choose 22 boxes to open if you gave it enough time.

I can remember when it first started that DOND prided itself on the fact that anyone could be a contestant - players that might not have been accepted onto conventional quiz/game shows could succeed as the game didn't need a wide general knowledge or a particular level of intelligence to take part. I've no idea if some of the contestants view DOND as 'easy money' for that very reason, but it would be ironic if such a noble and all-encompassing policy proved ultimately to be its undoing.

This post (and similar by others) is very telling indeed. Don't forget this format originated as a bonus round at the end of a quiz show, and was never intended as a standalone show. Even the first wave of European versions shoehorned a quiz element in, though to no effect as everyone on the wings played eventually.

Any other time I'd totally agree with dougal18. In fact I'm sure I've used those very words before, and I agree that goading players on is indeed offensive and encouraging gambling outside the scope of DoND, where actual losses do occur (playing on the basicasic 'nothing to lose' maxim that's been unsurprisingly appropriated by more people at present). Only problem is that by naively going on to the First Acceptable Deal Point of eight-box, then wimping out, she probably was 'playing by the rules of someone else's game'.

(Trivia time! The above quote is from which musical?)

Anyway. I'm increasingly agreeing with the consensus that this is the origin. Probably a disproportionate number of DoND contestants - certainly compared to the average quiz show, even the ITV daytime ones - are from lower socio-economic groups, and/or are less educated. The people who, in short, wouldn't get past £10,000 on Millionaire (get used to it, it's been like it for a year), less likely to have the mathematical knowledge needed to discern what's a good offer and what isn't, and - this is the critical bit if you ask me - the group most affected by the credit crunch and food/fuel price inflation. Twenty grand is life-changing for such people, and probably moreso now than it was eighteen months ago at the height of Wakeyism (at which point, most of the same factors were working, but not the ones that implied financial difficulty, and now the result was a psychological vulnerability, not to the prospect of losing, but to Noel. I don't know whether to be pleased or not that something has defeated that one...)

It is terribly hard to say whether a quiz should be added. It would imply that some people somehow don't deserve the chance to play - and the notion of judging who deserves a chance to win big money on a game show is so tricky there are entireformats devoted to it.

This is interesting but you are making one massively flawed assumption. That ordinary viewers agree with you.

Typical DoND contestants are from the groups you suggest. But the benefits of this are great. Typical DoND viewers are from this group too. They see it as their show. They empathise with decisions that you deride. They don't do maths either, so they don't see "mistakes" just whether they would have done the same.

Plus, you see early dealing/non gambling as a clear negative. But there is no proof whatsoever - I've said this so often!- no proof whatsoever that that is true. Viewers don't need them to gamble. It's whether viewers can empathise with players; and they can; perfectly.

You are attempting to solve a problem that exists only among "wakeyists", mathematicians and economists who can see the "mistakes" people are making.

But the facts? Viewing figures up drastically on last year and a contract for the show extended. Channel 4, just TWO WEEKS ago, called Dond their best performing and most popular show. They see perfection where you see problems.

If you really want to dissect the show, then look at why people can't see what you do. Don't try and solve a problem they don't have.

And the quote's from Wicked.

[ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]