Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:03 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 8:03 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:22 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
Single worst decision in Deal or No Deal history.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:23 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

KP wrote:

Surely there are worse decisions...

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:24 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

The only one to rival it is Michael I think.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:24 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject:

There have been too many worse desicions, not just today's

greeny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:25 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

KP wrote:

I wouldn't say it was the worst, but it wasn't great. Michael's offer was a hell of a lot worse when he dealt. Given what the Banker sometimes offers on 10k and peanuts board, that was a relatively OK offer.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:34 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Well actually thinking about it, the luck today wasn't entirely bad was it? The fact that she had £10k in her box on a 50:50 shot was quite good luck I'd say. But her mathematically bad decision meant the show had a bad ending to it.

I can't believe the banker even offered a gamble there as he's supposed to offer it on a final 2 where the offer would be similar to what they dealt at... in fact normally it's extra generous like a £15k gamble on a blue vs £35k board. People like SrWilson used to joke about how a player would deal at £10,000 and then the banker would offer the gamble on a blue vs £250k final 2, and the player would still take the money. I thought that'd never happen... but it sort of happened today; albeit with smaller money at stake and a smaller top prize up for grabs.

It makes me wonder whether they actually realised whether the effective offer on that final 2 was £1,001. I'm sure if Noel had worded it differently and she'd realised it was a £1,001 offer, she'd have gambled it. Otherwise I'm confused. One of the most baffling decisions ever. Up there with Michael. It's a year to the day since Kathleen's deal at £45,000 and everyone was saying how terrible a decision it was. At least it was for a reasonably large sum of money! Roll on tomorrow.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:35 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I have a feeling its only gonna get worse and some huge squanders are on the cards =/

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

daniel4389

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:36 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

That was a terrible game for so many reasons:

Yet another game where all the big numbers go stupidly early.

The first four offers were ludicrously low...yeah I know he wasn't going to be able to offer anything massive but he could at least try to give her some vague kind of a decision to make. £5 at the fourth offer with £5k and £10k still there?? :? :?

Offering her the gamble at the end went completely the other way and was far too generous...

...but then obviously not generous enough as she didn't take it, which I couldn't believe at all. I doubt she'd have dealt that offer if she'd got there conventionally so why not take the gamble?? She took a long time deciding whether to deal the £1,001 in the first place so she can't have been particularly desperate for the money. That has to be one of the worst and most confusing deals (well it wasn't really a deal but effectively was) ever...especially as the recent bad luck would have made it feel especially good had she got a £10k OPW out of such a bad game.

Still I quite liked Ann and she came from Coventry (wooo!) so it wasn't all bad.

Oh and I think that's broken Derek Brown's record for the lowest peak offer in a game (although not the lowest amount available as she had the £10k).

ilovedealornodeal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:36 pm    Author: ilovedealornodeal    Post subject: Video Clip Available

Hey Guys,

Just to let you know that that the video clip for Ann's game is now available.

http://ilovedealornodeal.co.uk/Ann-Wed-25-Jun-2008-4-15-PM/

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Well... that was one of the strangest games ever. Once again the luck wasn't there, but the offers were still mean I thought. £50 is the 5th lowest 3rd offer, and £5 is the lowest 4th offer, after Derek's £24.50. Ok, the board wasn't strong, but these offers were pointless, he might as well just as offered a swap... or at least an offer worth considering. It drained any remaining tension from the game, and I felt the banker was being a bit of a bully today. Mind you, given the recent run of bad luck and bad decisions, it's no wonder he's acting triumphant.

So cocky in fact that he offers the Banker's Gamble, to return £1,001 for either £50 or £10,000, a decision that anyone with a rough grasp of probability would go for. Oh, wait a minute.

Surely she'd have turned that down on those final 2?! :shock: Although even if she did, given the luck she'd had, she'd probably have wanted to swap her box away...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:53 pm    Author: Stephen    Post subject:

I know at your audition if they had give you the last two box scenario the answer everytime would have been gamble and to achieve it through Banker's Gamble is the dream scenario and created huge wave of enthusiasm.Unlucky Ann don't believe it, the number's are random you just have to make the best call. :-D :-D :-D

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:54 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

I don't want to say what I really thought of that game becuase I don't want to sound too much like Sr Wilson and Basic....:)

All it does is give the banker more ammo to offer insults all the time. Just what we need. Great. If they are going to pick people who won't risk 1k with a 50:50 stab at 10k then they might as well stop the show as far as I'm concerned, some repeats of 2006 and 2007 games would be rather nice to show instead. :)

I think KP's referring to the "refuse the undeal" rather than the 5-box deal there, and I completely agree. I could just about understand the 5-box deal even if I wouldn't have taken it.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:15 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

James1978 wrote:
some repeats of 2006 and 2007 games would be rather nice to show instead. :)

I agree. I'd kill to see some of those shows again. I'd also like to see the 2005 ones again just to see the contrast of how it is now.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:35 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

That game never really went anywhere for me..Ann was alright, but the fact that it started off so badly again made it less enjoyable.

I was thinking when it got to 2-box, play the Bankers Gamble..to make things a bit more interesting. Alas it happened, but she didn't take it. It would have been the only one so far I'd have taken.

More of Liam-like games please!

thundercat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:53 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject:

Bring back the trainwrecks any day!

I would rather see a trainwreck with pure bad luck than someone make a stupid stupid decision like today. What the *beep*.

trickymahonia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 pm    Author: trickymahonia    Post subject:

I am getting a bit bored now, or could be I am just tired. Watched two tonight on catch up, and was bored rigid. If the show isn't ready for the break I think I am.

Hope Charles and Jess get to play before the summer break though

jiveclive

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:43 pm    Author: jiveclive    Post subject:

cookie_monster wrote:
James1978 wrote:
some repeats of 2006 and 2007 games would be rather nice to show instead. :)

I agree. I'd kill to see some of those shows again. I'd also like to see the 2005 ones again just to see the contrast of how it is now.

I started watching from January 2006 onwards and back then I remember I invited my friends around for beer and pretzels for the Saturday evening shows. Now they can't really be arsed...neither can I.

I want to be reminded of the great players of the Golden Age of DOND. Now it's tripe.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

I'm sorry but why didn't she accept the undeal - surely she wasn't that desparate for a grand. Still it shouldn't have been offered anyway so it cancels out.

the decision could have been worse at 5 box but the £750 was there too.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

daniel4389 wrote:
Oh and I think that's broken Derek Brown's record for the lowest peak offer in a game (although not the lowest amount available as she had the £10k).

Yeah I think Ann's taken that record as Derek Brown's peak offer was £1,300. When Ann dealt £1,001 I was hoping she'd have an OPW and break some more records - including the lowest OPW.

And I think KP was referring to the decision at the undeal offer rather than the decision at 5-box. In my view the decision at 5-box wasn't disastrous - 4 blues & £10k means you're obviously more likely to have a blue in your box; wipe out the £10k and it's "game over". But the 2-box decision not to take the banker's gamble was very bad. As daniel4389 said, the fact that the banker effectively stuck after an all-blue round won't do much to encourage the other players to take risks.

Although I think he only stuck so he could use the banker's gamble and I'm guessing they assumed it was almost certain she'd gamble and hopefully go on to win £10k. Or maybe they knew she had £10k and that's why the gamble was such an easy one to take at the end?! ;)

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:08 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject:

I thought there was a certain sense of self-fullfilling prophecy about that game.
Ann's big mistake was reveling she was considered unlucky - never, ever let the banker know things like that - when she went on to hit 3 of the power 5 in the first round it gave the banker a strong psychological advantage.

Another player might have been given more generous offers to give them the option of bailing but the banker seemed to be goading Ann with especially derisory offers

I think if Ann didn't believe herself unlucky at the start of the game she certainly did by the end and that was probably why she dealt at the first 4 figure offer.
It was probably also why she declined the bankers gamble.

What a wasted opportunity, but i do feel sorry for Ann, her confidence was shattered early on and she never really recovered.

[ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]