Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:03 pm Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 12:03 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

garylq

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:54 pm    Author: garylq    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
I enjoyed the game but ............aaaaagh, how frustrating :evil:

well done to Mel for playing a great game and getting so close to breaking that damned prediction.

Absolutely typical of recent DOND that one of the few genuinely courageous contestants gets a blue box.

I think we should create a 'Hall of Shame', and Richard should be the first member.

jiveclive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:59 pm    Author: jiveclive    Post subject:

garylq wrote:
I enjoyed the game but ............aaaaagh, how frustrating :evil:

well done to Mel for playing a great game and getting so close to breaking that damned prediction.

Absolutely typical of recent DOND that one of the few genuinely courageous contestants gets a blue box.

I think we should create a 'Hall of Shame', and Richard should be the first member.

He should be the president! :)

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:10 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

This game is still really annoying me. It just seems like whenever we get a brave player with a decent board it ends up turning to *beep* in no time and they end up winning something crap. I absolutely loved her as well, indeed I fancied her more than jade (I guess that's just a relative age thing), and I actually thought the 20k curse was going to be broken until the painful 20th box messes it all up again.

But at least she won loads of fans and showed a great attitude towards it all, and didn;t seem too bothered about the money, I really applaud her for that.

It's not all down to Richard either, Harvey could easily have played on and won more than this whole bet thing would have been forgotten almost before it had begun, and I believe only Steve has had an offer of over 20k since Harvey's game, and only Stoney had more available in proveout (and even he'd have swapped that away!). I think it's unjust that Richard gets that sort of treatment when Harvey was more or less the same sort of situation.

I almost feel the whole lot of producers are doing things to deliberately annoy us, putting the big money in the most cautious players' boxes and letting the braver ones bring blues to the table. It certainly feels like it! It even feels that even when there's only one blue left on the board the player will win it!

Well done Melissa though for not allowing the banker to walk all over you though!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:01 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

redrum666 wrote:
a superb philosophy: "If you're a gambler then just go for it, the thrill is worth more than the money"

A superb philosophy for an unabated Wakeyist like yourself.

Those of us who haven't completely bought into that philosophy consider that to be a complete disrespect for large amounts of money.

Old KP is back in the building. I am so glad she won the blue. And I say that as someone who'd have taken the same risks as she did, save possibly the final offer (may have taken something of value while I could - not too sure £20k is twice as good as £5k though it probably is so I'd probably have gone on), and who abhors both Richard's decision and the fallout from it. It's quite clear in my book that someone with that attitude to large sums of money doesn't deserve to win them.

But based entirely on the decisions presented to her that was a massively unlucky game. I just can't feel sympathy for someone with that attitude, only a huge dollop of schadenfreude.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:05 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

Sometimes this game is really annoying. People go the end and really deserve to win nice sums yet end up winning blues. Frustrating but did add tension to the show.

Melissa was lovely, a really nice character who showed courage yet unfortunately was not rewarded. We need more people like her to break this sodding £20,000 barrier because it's getting a bit repetitive now...

redrum666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

KP wrote:
redrum666 wrote:
a superb philosophy: "If you're a gambler then just go for it, the thrill is worth more than the money"

A superb philosophy for an unabated Wakeyist like yourself.

Well if you paid any attention to what she said "if you're a gambler" then it is a superb philosophy- she didn't tell everyone to do it, she told the people who are there to take a risk to do it- to not be affected by her game. What would you have preferred- for her to break down in tears and tell everyone to deal at the first sign of good money?

Quote:
Those of us who haven't completely bought into that philosophy consider that to be a complete disrespect for large amounts of money.

Money isn't everything- she was clearly there for the experience.

Quote:
Old KP is back in the building. I am so glad she won the blue.

And this coming from someone who condemns people who say that they are glad when people "squander" money (granted, you haven't done that recently but that is down to quite frankly pathetic deals)? Hypocrisy much?

Quote:
And I say that as someone who'd have taken the same risks as she did, save possibly the final offer (may have taken something of value while I could - not too sure £20k is twice as good as £5k though it probably is so I'd probably have gone on)

But, of course, if you'd have won the blue, you wouldn't expect people to be glad about that fact because you don't have Melissa's attitude... except, you have no idea what she would've done under different circumstances.

Quote:
It's quite clear in my book that someone with that attitude to large sums of money doesn't deserve to win them.

As above, you have no idea what she would've done had she actually been given some decisions to make- she was a gambler but had, say, she been offered £26,000 at the 5th offer she may very well have taken it...

Quote:
I just can't feel sympathy for someone with that attitude, only a huge dollop of schadenfreude.

If everyone thought like you then the whole country would fall to pieces quite frankly... some people have got to have a risk-taking attitude and to some people, money isn't everything.

harryfielder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:40 pm    Author: harryfielder    Post subject:

Best played game for a long while,, but a bad result....

Aitch,

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:51 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

I don't think £20k was that bad an offer at 5 box - it was over 60% of the mean. Shame the gamble didn't pay off for her today - we really need a big money banker spanking soon.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:54 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

This is getting really depressing now. It's just boring. Every game should be different, but the last 20 odd have been almost identical due to the bankers stupid *beep* *beep* prediction *beep* crap *beep*!

"If you're a gambler then just go for it, the thrill is worth more than the money"
I really like Melissa's comment.

The show is annoying me at the moment, it's either deal a low offer or win a blue.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:05 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Shame about the game today 20K was briefly worth thinking about but definitely worth going on, predictable outcome really :? :(

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:32 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

KP wrote:
Old KP is back in the building. I am so glad she won the blue. And I say that as someone who'd have taken the same risks as she did, save possibly the final offer (may have taken something of value while I could - not too sure £20k is twice as good as £5k though it probably is so I'd probably have gone on), and who abhors both Richard's decision and the fallout from it. It's quite clear in my book that someone with that attitude to large sums of money doesn't deserve to win them.

But based entirely on the decisions presented to her that was a massively unlucky game. I just can't feel sympathy for someone with that attitude, only a huge dollop of schadenfreude.

To be honest, I have to say I'm just as uncomfortable with comments like that than I am with any of the Wakeyists saying the contestants deserved to have their noses rubbed in it for dealing early or for a relatively poor offer (in their view). I don't think she did disrespect the money at all. She seemed to give the offers (apart from the 11p obviously) their full respect and consideration and she took it bravely at the end. She was obviously disappointed to win a blue, but I'd prefer someone to have an attitude like hers than to cry about it.

If it's based on a personality trait I dislike then sometimes I do want them to do badly, but not based on a decision they make in the game. I don't start to dislike someone if they no-deal a good offer or deal a poor offer.

In all honesty the whole game, as too many have recently, was overshadowed by this so-called 20k "ceiling" and I'll be glad when it's all over and we can get back to normal. 20k just gets offered on boards that warrant more such as Melisssa's at 5-box and Harry and Stoney at 8-box. It's like battle of the sexes, a stupid gimmick that produced a similar run a bad games. It'll be good riddance!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:46 pm    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

cookie_monster wrote:
"If you're a gambler then just go for it, the thrill is worth more than the money"
I really like Melissa's comment.

I liked that too. I wonder how many of them will take her comment on board. I was so disappointed at the end of Melissa's game. When it came down to box 2 and box 11, I was screaming "pick 2" at the TV. I had a feeling that box 11 had the £100k. She may only have won £9, but at least she went for it. If only she'd had a different box. I hope she doesn't regret any of her decisions, because I thought she played the game well, and she didn't cry when it went wrong for her. Well played Melissa, and spend the £9 wisely.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:03 am    Author: KP    Post subject:

I'm still going to defend my comments. If basicasic can do it so can I.

Agreed with redrum in that she directed it specifically at a few, not at everyone; however, to me it still feels like projecting an attitude onto everyone else and I disapprove of that, even when the show as a whole might benefit from it right now. And I would say the same about a similarly strong call for caution. I do reckon there will be people who see themselves as gamblers but aren't - indeed, Endemol seem specifically to cast for such people - and if one person acts out of character because of that then that is one too many.

You're right, I'm highly critical of some No Deals. Note that none of Melissa's fell into that category. Indeed I wish she'd just had a £35k/£100k finish just so we weren't in this situation. Or given that wasn't possible, £10/£100k. She wouldn't have turned down £26k there, surely? (And if she did, then I would have gone on the attack on her decision, and given the £20k ceiling psycholoy I suspect others would have done the same...)

If I turned into Reverse Basicasic, I can only profusely apologise. Maybe I was wrong to openly display glee at the outcome. But if other people can do it dozens of times... and I am still of the opinion that those who utterly disregard money in the way Melissa appeared to have done from that quote (I didn't see the game, and if some of your reports of the game are true I'd actually have No Dealt far quicker than she did at five-box - does that make me a Wakeyist?!) are the kind I don't particularly want as the biggest winners. I don't want huge sums of money awarded in a game of luck to those who don't really much care for it.

In fact, I've really stopped caring for this show. Any game that is down to pure luck and risk-taking is going to throw up questions I can't answer sensibly about the worthiness of winners, and this is not the place for me to truly try.

This is the last time I will follow a UK episode of DoND: I shall continue to watch and report on the few versions where DoND is the quiz bonus round it was always meant to be rather than the premise for an entire show of luck and gambling, and I shall continue to be involved in the 'off-topic' fields, but my patience with DoND has completely snapped. This is a gambling show, I shall leave it to the gamblers.

Well, on here at least. They're (mostly) not in Bristol...

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

greeny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:36 am    Author: greeny    Post subject:

I think you take this game and show a bit too seriously KP.

Anyway, I liked Melissa, she seemed pleasant enough, but I had a bad feeling it'd go wrong the minute she said ND to £20,000, and then when it was down to 2 and 11, I believed 11 had the £100,000, so I was hoping she'd go for 2, but she didn't and she crashed from there on in to £9, which was a shame, but at least there was some proper tension involved. I also have to say I couldn't disagree more with KP regarding her respect for the money. I believe she took reasonable time with all the offers and considered them even though she was there for the game.

dougal18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:49 am    Author: dougal18    Post subject:

James1978 wrote:

But at least she won loads of fans and showed a great attitude towards it all, and didn;t seem too bothered about the money, I really applaud her for that.

If she wasn't interested in the money then why the hell did she apply?
That is the talk of a loser.

James1978 wrote:
I almost feel the whole lot of producers are doing things to deliberately annoy us, putting the big money in the most cautious players' boxes and letting the braver ones bring blues to the table. It certainly feels like it! It even feels that even when there's only one blue left on the board the player will win it!

So you are calling the show corrupt and Endemol a bunch of cheats. That's in sheer ignorance of the stuff about the ajudicator mentioned at the start of EVERY show.

Why are you watching something you believe is rigged?

You and many people seem to be under the delusion that DOND is a test of courage. It isn't.

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:26 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject:

Not a test of courage but a test of skill, timing and luck

Which I'll be showing if I ever get on the show :(

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:56 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject:

That was a real nail-biter, Melissa was a charming and confident player who showed real courage, it was a shame she wasn't luckier with the boxes but it is a game of random chance.

Aside from the 11p offer I think the banker was reasonably fair, and i don't think he would have made a derisory offer at the end of the third round if he'd honestly thought that he could get her out of the chair, he knew the board warranted at least one more round and he wanted to flex his muscles, try and put the wind up Melissa, make her think his next office would be just as bad

£20,000 at 5 box i thought was quite respectable, as the middle amount on the board it's not unprecedented at this point. The only way he would have gone over the £20k was if she'd had an all blue round, or at least had £750 or £500 as her lowest blue.

Melissa was just really unlucky that she found the £100k and not the £20k in that last box, if she hadn't i strongly suspect she would have dealt. She'd already been promised her 'walk-away' figure which would have had the double significance of breaking the banker's psychological advantage and the risk of gambling £10 against £100,000 is far greater than the challenge she was faced with.

The Bankers £1 side bet was just cruel but on the other hand if she'd won the £20k it would have been a different story

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:43 am    Author: Tom    Post subject:

To be honest, I didn't see Melissa's No Deal at £20,000 as being a greedy decision. There was enough left to have a decent chance of getting a bit more. However, if Deano had no dealt the £17,019, then that made have been a different matter.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:55 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

I certainly thought the offer at 5 box should have been 25/26K anyway like others have said which is annoying.

and KP I think the feeling on the board is just the way the substantial/large wins have dried up over the month or so.

Diane, Jade and deano had feel good affairs but it's really frustrating!

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 am    Author: KP    Post subject:

Yes, this has been the driest period for winnings in the show's history, and each game where a big-money box is sold provides frustration, as do games where players who wouldn't have sold said big-money boxes in said previous games end up with blues. James1978 isn't seriously suggesting a conspiracy, he's just joking I think - gallows humour I suppose. The 'even when there's only one blue on the board it feels like the player will win it' is certainly from said gallows humour.

I possibly do take this game too seriously. But I just don't understand how a game like this can be treated as merely a bit of fluff, given that it is based around massive financial decisions game in, game out.

Well maybe not so massive lately. :P

£26k would have been a Deal for me on that board; £20k, not a chance. I suspect that proves alexandercbrown's point.

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]