Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:05 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 6:05 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:40 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
KP wrote:
I'm increasingly thinking this show is actually reflecting the changing economic situation - early 2007, the height of the economic boom, saw an incredible run of Wakeyism, and this sustained run of cautious play pretty much coincides with episodes filmed since the start of the credit crunch! There's nothing Endemol can really do about that...

That is an interesting point actually. The whole Northern Rock crisis and the resulting fact that loans would be more difficult to obtain in the future may well have triggered this cautious phase...

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:44 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
They ought to have a sound effect of a sheep baa-ing when the box is opened I reckon.

We've had nearly 9 months of SOS. Plenty more to come I'd guess.

I thought it would be at least 6 months, cause Chris B did win £75K

Unless you were reffering to £100K Maria or £50K Jon?

StuartPlymouth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:51 pm    Author: StuartPlymouth    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
£75k. What a loser. They'll be stuck in that bedsit for eternity if this is anything to go by.

You're wrong Betty, they're moving to Gran Canaria a week on Monday! :-D

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:15 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject:

I now understand why a lot of people here are losing respect for this show quickly. People either go broke or miss out on bigger money because they're too afraid to press on, or are influenced by other factors (friends / family in the audience, advice from other players, etc.) to Deal. This would have been a great chance for big money, but unfortunately, this person decided to sell his box for 1/5 of its value. A bad deal, indeed. Same thing happens on the US version at least once every week (we get two one or two-hour long airings of DoND per week here on Monday and Wednesday). I'm still waiting for a massive, groundbreaking win to happen on this show this season, but something tells me it may never happen. At least Troy managed to get what he was after, but if he had played on, he could have won 5 times his deal.

zara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:25 pm    Author: zara    Post subject: Sorry 4 giggling 2 much!!!!

Hello all...jst Zara here.Wanted2 apologise if we were gettin on your nerves with the giggles.We couldn't help it!!!!
We were really excited! and p.s how do u out a pic up??
xx

basicasic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:29 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
KP wrote:
I'm increasingly thinking this show is actually reflecting the changing economic situation - early 2007, the height of the economic boom, saw an incredible run of Wakeyism, and this sustained run of cautious play pretty much coincides with episodes filmed since the start of the credit crunch! There's nothing Endemol can really do about that...

That is an interesting point actually. The whole Northern Rock crisis and the resulting fact that loans would be more difficult to obtain in the future may well have triggered this cautious phase...

I don't think the current financial climate has any bearing on the way contestants play their game. Particularly as this run of ultra-caution has been going on for 6 months or more - long before Northern Rock and the current economic gloom overshadowed us.

I think its just that people have wised up and realised that £10-£20k is there for the taking if they play cautiously on a reasonable board. And they are happy with that. I can't imagine Endemol deliberately choosing a seemingly never ending stream of no-risk players so I've no doubt plenty of players bull their way onto the show by pretending to be gamblers when they are no such thing.

I think its a fundemental flaw in the format and doubt if the show will ever regain its former glory.

basicasic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:45 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

My mother just MSN'd me (quite unsolicited).

my mother wrote:
'another coward on dond today'

'its hopeless no one takes a chance'

'the banker should force them on with low offers like they did in the beginning'

That's the voice of the general public, not enthusiasts like us.

Endemol need to take note.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:49 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

It's the voice of part of the general public, definitely. Then there's the very different part of the general public who think that any rejection of significant money is being greedy and foolish - as epitomised brilliantly by Nan (and if nobody thought the way 'Nan' did, that joke would never have even been written).

I can't say what the majority think. Although the ratings declining in March 2007, rising in May 2007 and rising again now might suggest something.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:50 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

They had a summer filming break from June until the start of October, and then the episodes recorded from when they resumed on October 1st (when the Northern Rock crisis was in full swing) were shown in late November, and episodes before this were filmed pre-any national financial crisis.

Could be a coincidence, but if a contestant with not much money heard the news on the morning of filming their show that loans are now more difficult to get hold of due to the crisis, and they are offered £20,000 in their game... I'd say they'd be more likely to deal.

I think it has had a slight impact to be honest... but I don't believe every player had it on their mind. Some have been naturally cautious or had a target, which can make for dull viewing. It can on the other hand, make for great viewing but without the same excitement as no dealing - see Eunice's game for example.

What is definite is the idea of the "self-fulfilling prophecy"... an economic crisis can often be triggered by people being afraid of a crisis, spending less, and in turn actually triggering a crisis. This can be applied in a small-scale to DOND - people are seeing bad games and undoubtedly dealing earlier to avoid their game falling apart.

Over the past few months, if DOND had had some more gamblers, more good luck to prove gambing can pay off, fewer targetists (and possibly a more stable national economic climate), then the show would've had more variety in terms of dealing / no dealing.

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:56 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:

my mother wrote:

'the banker should force them on with low offers like they did in the beginning'

So what you're saying that the general public have been fed up and turning away from the show in the last few weeks. Although...

-The weekday airings (Monday-Friday) are still appearing in Channel 4's top thirty.

-With the end of March registering five shows in the channel's top ten, with four shows in the top six.

-While the Saturday edition is registering the most watched show on the channel on the day.

Yes, it does make you scratch your head from reading that :ponder:

I doubt one person registers the general public. ;)

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:06 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Sorry 4 giggling 2 much!!!!

zara wrote:
Hello all...jst Zara here.Wanted2 apologise if we were gettin on your nerves with the giggles.We couldn't help it!!!!
We were really excited! and p.s how do u out a pic up??
xx

Have a look here - http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13130

cocky bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:10 pm    Author: cocky bill    Post subject:

You only get one chance in the chair and i am sorry to say it but Troy blew it big time!

basicasic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:23 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

travis P wrote:
basicasic wrote:

my mother wrote:

So what you're saying that the general public have been fed up and turning away from the show in the last few weeks. Although...

Your putting words in my mouth. I never said any such thing.

travis P wrote:
-The weekday airings (Monday-Friday) are still appearing in Channel 4's top thirty.

-With the end of March registering five shows in the channel's top ten, with four shows in the top six.

-While the Saturday edition is registering the most watched show on the channel on the day.

All true no doubt. My mother still watched it despite her dissatisfaction. But she has watched it since day 1 and is very unhappy about the way the game is played. I've asked her why she still watches if the game is so poor these days. Her answer is 'because there's nothing else worth watching'.

There lies the secret of the show's continuing success in the rating despite being well past its prime. Its still better than whats on the other channels.
Provided one of the other channels don't come up with something better DOND will carry on doing well. The minute they do a swathe of 'there's nothing else worth watching' viewers will switch over.

And that's another reason I fear things won't change. Endemol can sit complacently by and do nothing knowing that people will tune in regardless.

jjcocherfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:27 pm    Author: jjcocherfan    Post subject:

The public may not like the games like myself however I keep watching for the hope that we get a good set of players on the wings who will take a (big or little) risk for their money.

Lewis246

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:27 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject:

If you don't like anything on TV then you should do something else.

I wouldn't voluntarily spend 45 minutes a day doing something I don't enjoy.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:12 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

That was a nice game, although not an ideal result.

But I can completely understand where Troy was coming from, him and Dan needed the money, and if it has successfully helped them change accomodation then i'm pleased for them.

Nice to see a bit more banter again today as well. Well done Troy, i hope the money has been helpful.

Save Ferris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:17 pm    Author: Save Ferris    Post subject:

Tom wrote:
That was a nice game, although not an ideal result.

But I can completely understand where Troy was coming from, him and Dan needed the money, and if it has successfully helped them change accomodation then i'm pleased for them.

What Tom said!

harryfielder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:18 pm    Author: harryfielder    Post subject:

One more deal would have been good, two more would have been great.

But needs must. Good luck in your life.. ;)

Aitch,

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:52 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

Yet another £10k-£20k deal today - we seem to have a glut of them recently. A 4/4 board at 8 box was a tough call with the odds of hitting 1 of the 5 figure reds the same as hitting 2 of them.

£15k was about right for the board and like yesterday was a marginal call. It would be nice to see someone take a risk now. It seems ages since we had someone take a calculated gamble.

Duffer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:16 pm    Author: Duffer    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
When will people realise that if a gamble goes wrong they will leave the show no worse off than when they came. So you might as well take your one big chance of a lifetime to go away with a huge payout.

I think that's where your reasoning clashes with most others who post here. It's all a matter of interpretation I guess and, yes, it's undoubtedly true that all contestants will in fact go home with more than they came with but I think the majority will view the money offered after the first round as 'theirs' and will then decide how far they want to gamble that cash as the board and offers change. If someone is desperate for that cash (as Troy apparently was) then surely human nature will dictate that they are bound to be a bit more cautious rather than risking the lot for a massive pay-out.

Aside from going on the show yourself (which I know you're not going to do), the only way you'll ever consistently see the show you want is if Endemol suddenly start recruiting multi-millionaires to play the game instead...

[ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]