Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:05 pm Last visit was: Wed May 01, 2024 11:05 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:00 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
Can we have a well done smiley added to the forum?

Well Done Greg! Enjoy £7,500.

NoelsFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:09 pm    Author: NoelsFan    Post subject:

I agree! It would be great to have a WELL DONE smiley!! And well done greg!

redrum666

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:14 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Well, from the moment Noel mentioned that Greg was a "big gambler" I knew that he was going to deal at some point along the way and 5-box seemed like the likely place. A rocky start soon developed into a board with great potential but every time we got close to a fantastic board, one of the mega sums seemed to disappear- normally at a crucial moment.

Greg made the most of what was, on the whole, a pretty average game with an average board and an average outcome. It would've been nice to see him take a stab at the £15,000 or £35,000 but £7,500 is a very nice amount of money and, ultimately, he beat the banker. Ok, so he could have had £15,000 earlier on but I'm glad he didn't deal- both because the board looked to have much more in it and because the reaction on here would be ridiculous and annoying.

So, well done to Greg- he was entertaining and played the game with the right attitude- there was an element of mystery to his persona which was interesting and I liked the way he tried to exclude his relatives as much as possible if he felt they would influence what, ultimately, is his game although speaking to his girlfriend on the screen made somewhat of a nonsense of the idea of sending them away.

And at the end of the day, £7,500 is a lovely sum of cash and a hell of a lot better than the £100 he (and I) would have won had he played on.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:38 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Well, that was interesting. A board that was being squeezed at either end pretty much throughout, and produced some interesting decisions as a result thanks to the Banker recognising the stability of the board and making the generous offers it required.

Would like to think I'd have either taken the £7,500 or got the third-offer OPW, but cannot be utterly sure.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:47 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject:

£7,500 isn't too bad, but like they all say it's real money

Enjoy it, Greg :smt023

basicasic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:37 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Greg was a likeable chap and the show got off to a great start when he chucked out his gf and dad and brought no tat to bore us rigid with. His claim to be a big gambler sent my Bullsh*tometer off the scale though so I wasn't too hopeful

It all started to look dodgy at the 3rd offer. A great board but all the dithering over £15k with that board confirmed his gambling claims were all hot air. He eventually no-dealt (just before I nodded off) but he had given all the signs that he was ready for a deal and the banker was on top from that moment on. By 5 box with 4 reds and 1 blue I would have gone on for sure but our 'ace gambler' grabbed the money and ran.

But the game was on a downward spiral so it was the right thing to do as it turned out and £7,500 is a tidy sum to be going away with.

A decent chap, a decent enough game and a decent amount won.

Big D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:50 pm    Author: Big D    Post subject:

I agree with that basic-asic. I didn't take to Greg in the wings (that Jamie Oliver thing, I'm afraid!) but to my surprise I warmed to him very quickly. Good that he banished his relations the wings - bad that Noel then went and discussed it with them at the crucial point for all to hear!!

I also agree the gambing talk was hot air, and my abiding memory of him will be the time the banker made him give Mark advice from the wings aftrer a few days of silence, and he almost cried! that said more about him than anything, and I'm surprised the banker didn't play more on that.

But well played, and a nice win to go home with.

Scottish Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:17 pm    Author: Scottish Fan    Post subject:

Good game and respectable result considering it was never meant to be a big win today.

Missed the start of the show and couldn't understand why dad and girlfriend were hiding backstage until I read this report.

Good on you Greg - no more influential relatives in the audience please!

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:23 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

I didn't like that game. He came on with the pokerface, and the big gambling attitude, and then he starts fretting over what will happen next and takes £7,500. I thought it was disgusting. What's coming of this great show?

travis P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:34 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject:

Aaron Brock wrote:
I didn't like that game. He came on with the pokerface, and the big gambling attitude, and then he starts fretting over what will happen next and takes £7,500. I thought it was disgusting. What's coming of this great show?

Like many people who claimed to be "big gamblers" in the past. Have they ever risked thousands of pounds as a lump sum on a random game in their lives? I very much doubt Greg has ever risked £15,000 and £7,500 until today.

harryfielder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:51 pm    Author: harryfielder    Post subject:

I thought Greg played well and seemed at one time to be on top. (7 blues) that's when Noel asked him if he could get a record 8 :cry: .
I noticed that 11 and 13 had big reds so it was time to salvage what he could out of 12....Right deal,,right time... :lol:

Aitch,

lathebault

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:15 pm    Author: lathebault    Post subject:

travis P wrote:
Aaron Brock wrote:

Like many people who claimed to be "big gamblers" in the past. Have they ever risked thousands of pounds as a lump sum on a random game in their lives? I very much doubt Greg has ever risked £15,000 and £7,500 until today.

When they say thay are a gambler, or a big gambler, I would have thought the chances are they are trying to 'big themselves up' letting the banker know they are ready to take a gamble. Most of the time, these people bail out at any half decent offer. People like Khanny for example, was a big gambler. If all these 'big gamblers' played like Khanny then we would have more £250,000 winners. He wasn't afraid to risk 49k on a very strong board was he? Yet today's 'big gambler' couldn't turn down £7,500 on a decent board...

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:18 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

travis P wrote:

Also, people who do a lot of gambling are more likely to recognise when it's a good time to get out.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Noel was right when he said Greg had an unusual attitude, and I'm not entirely sure I could work out Greg myself. He didn't come across at all as a "huge gambler" in my opinion, and I think my opinion was verified with the way he was dithering over the third offer. Nothing wrong with dithering over the third offer, but surely a huge gambler would've no dealt it with ease?

I thought the thing with Rachel was very strange indeed. :? Why did she say what Greg had said? Surely she knew it was likely to get him a lower offer if the banker knew he would be happy with £7,500? Anyway it was interesting (and different) when he chucked his relatives out of the studio, but then Noel mucked it up a bit when he spoke to them and put them on the gameboard!! Some funny moments today though, including Eunice saying Greg should win £250k when he'd already taken out £250k! :lol:

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:04 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

A not bad game today. I hadn't really liked Greg during his time in the wings (not really sure why) but that sort of changed during the game..he was a reasonable guy actually.

A nice amount won, and some good humour thrown in from Eunice.

taff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:14 pm    Author: taff    Post subject: GREG 31/03

After the mauling he got from the Banker in Alex's game a couple of weeks ago, I was really glad to see Greg get his revenge. Well played and a good result.

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 pm    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject:

lathebault wrote:
Oh well. I'd be more happy winning £3,000 by playing the game fully than £7,500 by not analysing the board proplerly.

(Yes, I would have swapped)

The swap is not guaranteed though especially with the final 2 like that.....not a power 5 on either side and not even near one. Don't think he would have been offered the swap.So you would have won £ 100.

Jim

basicasic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:07 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
Some funny moments today though, including Eunice saying Greg should win £250k when he'd already taken out £250k! :lol:

Haha. I just love Eunice. She's like your batty old aunt who's not quite lost the plot. Can't wait for her game.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:10 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

lathebault wrote:
Oh well. I'd be more happy winning £3,000 by playing the game fully than £7,500 by not analysing the board proplerly.

(Yes, I would have swapped)

By "fully" you mean saying no deal 6 despite analysing the board properly, I assume? You might as well say everyone on Millionaire should just try to answer each question and not walk away.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:20 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

I imagine that if wak...I mean lathebault was a poker player, he'd just call every hand even if he was 7-high and his opponent had a full house or 4 of a kind or something. :)

But I did enjoy that game - I thought he was a man after my own heart when he got rid of his family from the pilgrims, but then I wouldn't have anyone there at all? And the deal, I think I'd have gone on, but that's becuase I would have only seen 1 blue there - you could just as easily treat the 1k and 3k as honorary blues but from an offer of £7,500 I don't think I would. But a good deal even if it was late, I think he was actually trying to over-analyse the board at 15k, and that didn't really help him in getting high offers later, not to mention rachel's contribution...

Would Noel have let him celebrate like that if he'd sold £100 for £7,500 but dealt too early and had a £15k offer in proveout? :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]