Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:34 am Last visit was: Wed May 01, 2024 4:34 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

lathebault

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:59 pm    Author: lathebault    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
jez3122 wrote:
I disagree m8.....
i've seen so many people leave with nothing through greed,

More often than not people take that approach (of thinking gambles will only result in blues (being cautious)) and could have had loads more.

Quote:
If i ever got on the show(and it's very unlikely because of my dislike for the host's need to make the losers feel worse)
It would be very possible that i'd deal on the first round if the offer was 15,000/20,000ish

I bet you'd get a worse reception than Matty did today by some members.

Quote:
and then although Noel insists you carry on picking the boxes as you would have.....(Which incidently is impossible unless you've a set game plan concernng the box orders)
i'd choose them in numerical order....and if i uncovered 250,000 in my box it honestly wouldn't bother me because the game is already finished and i'm 15,000/20,000 grand up.......

Then you're lieing if you pick them in a different order. The idea of a proveout is to see what would have happened if you played on, therefore you need to pick the boxes you would have picked. If you would have won £250,000 then there's no denying it, you would have won £250,000 if you didn't bottle it.

Quote:
One other point that confuses me is people using stats to pick boxes?!?!? anyone that knows anything about maths and probobility knows that if someone's had 1p in there box for the last 3 shows has no more or no less chance they have it again.(i'm a keen poker player and this is a fact you learn very early on or you lose cash)

That's true although as an independant event 3 1p wins in a row is unlikely.

jez3122

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Author: jez3122    Post subject:

lathebault wrote:
jez3122 wrote:
I disagree m8.....
i've seen so many people leave with nothing through greed,

More often than not people take that approach (of thinking gambles will only result in blues (being cautious)) and could have had loads more.

Quote:
If i ever got on the show(and it's very unlikely because of my dislike for the host's need to make the losers feel worse)
It would be very possible that i'd deal on the first round if the offer was 15,000/20,000ish

I bet you'd get a worse reception than Matty did today by some members.

Quote:
and then although Noel insists you carry on picking the boxes as you would have.....(Which incidently is impossible unless you've a set game plan concernng the box orders)
i'd choose them in numerical order....and if i uncovered 250,000 in my box it honestly wouldn't bother me because the game is already finished and i'm 15,000/20,000 grand up.......

Then you're lieing if you pick them in a different order. The idea of a proveout is to see what would have happened if you played on, therefore you need to pick the boxes you would have picked. If you would have won £250,000 then there's no denying it, you would have won £250,000 if you didn't bottle it.

Quote:
One other point that confuses me is people using stats to pick boxes?!?!? anyone that knows anything about maths and probobility knows that if someone's had 1p in there box for the last 3 shows has no more or no less chance they have it again.(i'm a keen poker player and this is a fact you learn very early on or you lose cash)

That's true although as an independant event 3 1p wins in a row is unlikely.

Yeh it's posible you could leave with loads more....but it's probible you'll leave with *beep*......and these people are not rich because wealthy people don't apply for this kind of thing...

i'm not bothered about the reception i get from fellow members....these are my views, and to be influenced by others is just weak....don't you agree??

as for the proveout thing....thats exactly my point... i wouldn't do it correctly because the game is over and it doesn't matter, the main reason they do it is so if someone deals early they can drag out the show to fit the desired time frame

KP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

OK, the cynicism backfired and backfired spectacularly.

The caution didn't.

Sorry but that was a self-inflicted trainwreck caused by one simple mistake - believing the game starts at eight-box. If you believe the game starts at eight-box then yes, that was a ghastly game for bad luck with a great position falling to pieces for a player who had selfless designs on the money - although that was left unaired - and a ghastly bit of luck with the swap to boot (nobody's ever swapped a Power 5 for a Banker's Power 5 before have they?).

However, the game starts with the 17-box offer, with five more to come. Offer two was 75% of the mean, on a far from stable board, and was a significant amount of money, and came out of nowhere from a period of outrageous banker stinginess. For me it was one of the most obvious Deals of the season, but of course it's a no-no to deal at that point, for no other reason than for 'entertainment'.

Well here's your entertainment. Someone turns twenty grand into a penny, and Endemol have to cover up the fact that this money would have gone to a very worthy cause indeed.

I suspect Matty's got some of the worst regrets in DoND history. I would too, if I was stupid enough to ignore the first half of the show as mere scene-setting. But I'm not, so it would have been a TPW for me today.

Of course gambles won't 'only result in blues'. But the effect and probability of turning five figures into peanuts outweighs the effect and probability of turning five figures into six. For most people on most boards anyway. That was a deceptively dangerous board - albeit with enough of a block to make a scramble to a moderate win quite possible - and I wouldn't have valued it at twenty grand, no way.

Still, it's his decision, and I only hope that there was more to it than 'it's too early to Deal'. Because if there wasn't, well, I don't know.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Ladies and Gentleman you have once again seen precisly why you should NEVER EVER SWAP.
This was a damn shame as I liked Matty he had the right attitude to win big I just sensed when he swapped he would win 1p since I had heard a rumour oft he next 1p guy being him.
Alot of the members I didnt feel sorry for but Matty I did but on the other hand he made the cardinal sin of SWAPPING and he paid for it.

And think had he not done the evil swap he woulda been 50K better off provng that going to the end = power 5

Unfortunate =/ Bad Luck Matty

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

SrWilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:39 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

cookie_monster wrote:
basicasic wrote:
croftrock wrote:
Hell. I'm probably about to get flamed but...

I thought that game was hilarious.

I must admit I did laugh when the banker returned his gifts. A masterstroke.

I did as well :? As did my mum...

So did I too lol I actually laughed when Noel revealed 1P :( lol

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

basicasic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:56 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

KP wrote:
Well here's your entertainment. Someone turns twenty grand into a penny, and Endemol have to cover up the fact that this money would have gone to a very worthy cause indeed.

Utter b*ll*x. There is not one shred of evidence that he would have given one penny to charity save for some contestant who never even saw the show. All the players I've seen play for charity have all erred on the side of caution in order not to throw it all away. Plus why was the gf in floods of tears? Why should she care less if its all going to charity anyway? Plus Endemol usually make a huge deal out of charity players and there wasn't even the slightest hint. I smell baloney. Lots of it.

All this sudden 'charidee' talk is juat a lame 'after the event' attempt to make us feel sorry for his poor judgemant and luck.

I'm more inclined to believe that had he won a large sum he would have made a donation to charity which is still laudable. But to try and blame Endemol for what was, after all, player stupidity and bad luck is just ludicrous and devalues any genuine points you have made.

Power5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:12 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

Watched the last part of this, the collapse had already started by then but still one of the most painful pieces of viewing I can remember. Seems like about half the shows I've bothered to watch this year have been 1p wins (OK, at least one of them I watched the repeat after reading it was a 1p). Anyway, sure this will lead to the resumption of the cautious deals that have dominated the last 6 months so certainly hasn't inspired me to start tuning in every day again.

Oh and KP, in terms of P5 for BP5 swaps, forgotten PJ's game already? :-D

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:22 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

KP wrote:
(nobody's ever swapped a Power 5 for a Banker's Power 5 before have they?).

Remember somebody called PJ? :)

Or even Orry - how could you forget him!!!

KP wrote:
Still, it's his decision, and I only hope that there was more to it than 'it's too early to Deal'. Because if there wasn't, well, I don't know.

Well didn't he say he was going for the 250k? That's why i found what he needed the money for unfathomble. I do actually think he wanted/needed more than 20k. Or at least thought he could get a lot more for relatively low-risk. Also anyone playing for a cause like him would NOT have been that cocky at the start of the game - I knew he was setting himself up for a fall big time when he wanted to give the banker the gifts before the game had even started.

But on the other hand (and this is addressing basicasic) - why would Nicola come on here and tell blatant lies?

The whole thing just confuses me to be honest.

But I can't say I was too bothered about him winning 1p - and that's not through any fiscal decisions he made but by him seemingly acting far too big for his own boots at the start of the game, and the 250k going then the 50k being in his box 3 that he swapped away just shut him up completely, and he set himself up for it a bit.

I do actually feel a bit sorry for the other contestants who obviously really liked him and they'd be a bit shaken by a "leader" of the group winning 1p, and they'll have to contend with a banker who is totally on the up and being Mr Impossible for the next few games....

Actually, thinking about it I had a very similar third-round board to 1p Nick (Nick had 100k and 75k to Matty's 250k and 50k) with a 7:4 red-blue split - then they took out all the reds in succession. Their two reactions couldn't have been further apart though - I really admired Nick for cracking all the jokes and his funny quotes about the LTL etc....

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

Of course PJ and Orry did!!! *face, meets palm*

He was clearly playing to the crowd/Banker - probably the latter, but by implication the former - despite his apparent goal. That marked him out as a gambler apparently, certainly the Banker (fresh from letting one gambler in Gemma win £35k without needing more than the merest hint of Wakeyism, and not about to let that or worse happen again) went with that, and, well, we saw how it wound up.

Good point with 1p Nick - the LTL joke still makes me laugh (as does the name of the guy who did actually get that £5,000, Hermann High). That was a player who could take the pain. Today, that wasn't the case.

But hey, it was more entertaining because of it in a way. A horrible, horrible way.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:46 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Pretty ghastly outcome, Matty seemed an likeable chap and his time on the wings and the early part of his game made for entertaining viewing. However, I do agree with some of the comments about playing the game for the game's sake, and to some extent accepting that you might not win a great sum of money. As Noel said at a recording once, "This game's meant to be fun, with a bit of money thrown in", and I think more players should treat it this way. 1p Nick is a great example.

Then again, Noel is a bit wakeyist sometimes, and today he even tried to invent that Matty had "blown" even more, just to make him feel that little bit better. I think that was ill-judged to suggest at that point he had lost £35,000, not to mention inaccurate as he picked the bad egg anyway. It made a bad situation worse. (I know I'm not mentioning the £50,000 giveaway, but isn't that the point? - the player certainly didn't need to know this here, and I trust most viewers were intelligent enough to work this out anyway.)

It's meant to be an enjoyable experience, and it was clear Matty was not enjoying the last part at all, and it appears Noel did little to lessen the inner anxiety of the contestant, more rub salt into the wounds. Although, in support of Noel, I'd *like* (if that's the right word) to believe it's more the fault of Endemol than his, following instructions from above. Either way, the end product of the show today was ultimately dissatisfying, more so as we learn of his proposed charity donation. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant viewer figure drop after that.

In terms of the offers, I was tempted by the 11-box £20,000, but suspect I would have taken it one round further and taken £20,000 (+1 egg). I am often wary of £250k boards missing the £100k, because immediately the stability is threatened, and having the gap down to £50k would have worried me. If the biggie goes, you'll be lucky to get that again, plus you have a chance of £35,000. Still, it was a horrible collapse to not even recover to a high four-figure sum.

Gutting, thank god the eggs have gone, and this show can hopefully get back to providing some real entertainment.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:55 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

I didn't enjoy Matty's game too much today. It's a shame because I liked him on the wings and I was looking forward to his game. I thought he came across very well on the wings, but not in his game. Anyway, I just hope today's result doesn't knock the confidence of tomorrow's player.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:00 am    Author: KP    Post subject:

That was very strange - surely Noel would be praising the attitude of someone who gambled his way to a disaster saying things like 'that kind of play is how we get the big winners' or something, probably with a reference to Gemma there as well...

Anyway, we move on. Goodness only knows what tomorrow's player will be thinking, and how s/he will play as a result. Hopefully, the way s/he would do so coming into the game 'blind' as it were - I don't think we can ask for more than the player following his/her true preferences.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:01 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

KP wrote:
Of course PJ and Orry did!!! *face, meets palm*

He was clearly playing to the crowd/Banker - probably the latter, but by implication the former - despite his apparent goal. That marked him out as a gambler apparently, certainly the Banker (fresh from letting one gambler in Gemma win £35k without needing more than the merest hint of Wakeyism, and not about to let that or worse happen again) went with that, and, well, we saw how it wound up.

Good point with 1p Nick - the LTL joke still makes me laugh (as does the name of the guy who did actually get that £5,000, Hermann High). That was a player who could take the pain. Today, that wasn't the case.

But hey, it was more entertaining because of it in a way. A horrible, horrible way.

Thing is though PJ and Orry got mote money though PJ LTL and orry the 1k from the turkey.
Matty had nothing it was 1p and thats your lot.
So in a way he is the first to swap for a banker power 5 and leave with only a banker power 5.

Rich D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:39 am    Author: Rich D    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
KP wrote:

Utter b*ll*x. There is not one shred of evidence that he would have given one penny to charity save for some contestant who never even saw the show. All the players I've seen play for charity have all erred on the side of caution in order not to throw it all away. Plus why was the gf in floods of tears? Why should she care less if its all going to charity anyway? Plus Endemol usually make a huge deal out of charity players and there wasn't even the slightest hint. I smell baloney. Lots of it.

Funny, I smell tuna & mayo...

Matty's charitable aims (re: the Tsunami) were mentioned during Noel's brief player profiles at the start of an earlier game -- apologies that I can't remember whose game it was, most likely a very early appearance of Matty which also featured Nicola on the wings... of course that ep will most likely come up in a few weeks on the More4 repeats, so watch this space for details.

Yeah, the editors shoulda reminded us of Matty's aims, and yeah, I wish they hadn'ta edited for maximum emotional voyeurism at the end, like they always do, even if those multiple train wreck games are the most addictive to watch.

And Noel, it wasn't £35K, it was £20K plus a high probability of Bad Egg No. 1.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

I saw this game although it was half spoiled for me because of h's 1p prediction.

what a crash!

Oh and my mum found it hilarious.

The crying was a *bit* much. It's fine to be disappointed just not uncontrolled blubbing.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:39 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

redrum666 wrote:
lathebault wrote:
redrum666 wrote:
if your financial situation is bad then maybe gambling isn't the best option.

If your financial situation is bad then maybe applying for the show isn't the best option

Indeed, although if Endemol are going to throw free money around then I'd rather see someone who's financial situation is poor winning big than someone who is already comfortable and secure with their finances.

Yeah, seems to be a catch 22 situation, you could argue jeff King, Rodney and Lance didn't 'deserve' their huge wins etc because they looked well off already.
But if Matty 'really wanted money for charity' he should have dealt at the third offer or something.
I don't wish to attack people's circumstances but they should be 'flexible' about the 'paper gains/losses' in this game to at least a small/reasonable extent or they're setting themselves up for a disappointment.

jamesfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:57 pm    Author: jamesfish    Post subject:

Oh christ, not another 1p winner, well i suppose it is good in ways because it means he may come back and be in a 1p group, I had been looking forward to his game ever since he arrived, he deserved a lot lot more money, but I suppose one of the upcoming newbies may be a bit like him.

ShaneO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:46 pm    Author: ShaneO    Post subject:

Possibly the most painful game to watch this year.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:39 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Slight irony in the fact the last time box number 3 came to the table, it was kept and the player (Margaret) also won 1p! You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:04 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Or "Die if you do, die if you don't" as DOND Clive would say.

Yesterday's show is one of those that I really wouldn't want to see again to be honest. I see what people mean when they say Matty was rather arrogant etc. but I think we've had worse. However, I think his crying and so on was the "straw that broke the camel's back" for most people. A very weird show which left everyone with mixed feelings. :?

[ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]