Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:44 pm Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 12:44 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Lewis246

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:04 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
lathebault wrote:
KP wrote:
I don't think we can even consider the proveout after that. He won £14,900, who cares what happened afterwards apart from people who think anyone who deals is a cowardly custard?

Because believe it or not, the game isn't over after the deal. You may have secured £14,900 but the whole point of a proveout is to find out how much you would have had. Today he would have had £100,000 if he no dealed to the end and a variety of massive offers in between had he dealt a little later.

Totally wrecked the game in my opinion. Maybe it will teach them that most of the time the games WILL NOT go wrong!

I could do a stats write up if that helps...

He had a significant chance of being forced on at 5-box, and then a 60% chance of the game going completely tits-up!

He just had an unlucky proveout...

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:06 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

lathebault wrote:
KP wrote:
I don't think we can even consider the proveout after that. He won £14,900, who cares what happened afterwards apart from people who think anyone who deals is a cowardly custard?

Because believe it or not, the game isn't over after the deal. You may have secured £14,900 but the whole point of a proveout is to find out how much you would have had. Today he would have had £100,000 if he no dealed to the end and a variety of massive offers in between had he dealt a little later.

Totally wrecked the game in my opinion. Maybe it will teach them that most of the time the games WILL NOT go wrong!

Erm...you would have squandered £66,000 by the looks of things, and reading the What Would You Have Done Today thread!

Hahaha! PWNED! :-D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

lathebault

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 pm    Author: lathebault    Post subject:

Lewis246 wrote:
lathebault wrote:
KP wrote:

He had a significant chance of being forced on at 5-box, and then a 60% chance of the game going completely *beep*-up!

He just had an unlucky proveout...

You can't assume he would have been forced on at 5 box. If he dealt the 14.5k offer at 8 box chances are he would have dealt an equally pathetic offer at 5 box. Chances of an all blue round at 8 box to 5 box were high and thats why the proveout wasn't unlucky. It went with the odds of the board at the time that he was going to get a higher offer.

lathebault

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:09 pm    Author: lathebault    Post subject:

Big-Davey wrote:
lathebault wrote:
KP wrote:

Erm...you would have squandered £66,000 by the looks of things, and reading the What Would You Have Done Today thread!

Hahaha! PWNED! :-D

I know, gutted for me. Except Alex squandered £86,000 so he got more PWNED than I got PWNED.

So PWNED Davey! :-D ;-)

KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:10 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

lathebault wrote:
Chances of an all blue round at 8 box to 5 box were high...

...at just over 35%.

Quote:
and thats why the proveout wasn't unlucky. It went with the odds of the board at the time that he was going to get a higher offer.

It was odds-on that it wouldn't be an all-blue round. Believe the Banker and that guarantees a joke offer. Even if you don't, £14,900 isn't irrational for four blues and the quarter-million (heck, I reckon we might have seen The Banker's Gamble in that situation, although of course it was impossible today).

And if you do, well, you're playing for a two-box offer. 15 in 28 chance of an all-blue finish today if my maths is right.

If the Banker was right, he was odds-on for an OPW. Potential reward made it perfectly reasonable to No Deal, and I probably would have done myself; potential risk made it perfectly reasonable to Deal, especially as it's very reasonable from the previous two games to assume his joke five-box offers were going to be real.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:13 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

LOL The banker got him so easy it was such a no brainer to go on 6 to 2 odds on. And boy he paid, he squandered 68k and then 100k.
As usual though the player bottles it and is scared easily by the bankers threats oh and being a student = the bankers favorites he can get them so easy.

Pathetic deal and he paid the price!!

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

lathebault

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:16 pm    Author: lathebault    Post subject:

KP wrote:
lathebault wrote:

...at just over 35%.

Quote:
and thats why the proveout wasn't unlucky. It went with the odds of the board at the time that he was going to get a higher offer.

It was odds-on that it wouldn't be an all-blue round. Believe the Banker and that guarantees a joke offer. Even if you don't, £14,900 isn't irrational for four blues and the quarter-million (heck, I reckon we might have seen The Banker's Gamble in that situation, although of course it was impossible today).

And if you do, well, you're playing for a two-box offer. 15 in 28 chance of an all-blue finish today if my maths is right.

If the Banker was right, he was odds-on for an OPW. Potential reward made it perfectly reasonable to No Deal, and I probably would have done myself; potential risk made it perfectly reasonable to Deal, especially as it's very reasonable from the previous two games to assume his joke five-box offers were going to be real.

I think a 35% chance of an offer in the region of 60-70k seems is a bloody good shot, considering the £14,900 offer we are 'gambling' on.

Lewis246

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:18 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject:

lathebault wrote:
KP wrote:
lathebault wrote:

...at just over 35%.

Quote:

I think a 35% chance of an offer in the region of 20-40k seems is a bloody good shot, considering the £14,900 offer we are 'gambling' on.

Corrected for you :)

Hmm, I think I'll give this thread a miss from now too...

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:20 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

A shocker of a show.

That goes down as one of the all-time lamentable deals ever. What a loser. That was truly spineless. After the obligatory baloney at the start about playing poker and being a bit of a gambler I had a feeling it was all hot air; when the slightest bit of courage was required the yellow towel was thrown in. Sorry. Make that a blanket.

The Banker must have split his sides laughing after that show was recorded. A derisory insult of an offer and with the £100k and £250k still on the board (and a whole rake of blues to go at) and he still dealt it. How will the £250k ever be won!!!!

For those people who say the proveout doesn't matter, then why the pathetic celebrations when the £250k was revealed. Because it does matter. None more so than to the player who is desperately trying not too look even more pitiable.

Quite frankly I was hoping his nose would be rubbed in it during the proveout. I like to see courage rewarded and my only regret is that the £250k wasn't in his box.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:21 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject:

lathebault wrote:
I think a 35% chance of an offer in the region of 60-70k seems is a bloody good shot, considering the £14,900 offer we are 'gambling' on.

Did the Banker say before the round that the offer would be in the region of 60-70k? I must have missed that. Assuming that the Banker didn't make such a statement, it would have been reasonable to assume that the 5-box offer with both big reds there would have been maybe in the region of £30k.

A 35% chance of approximately doubling your money isn't a good bet. Any gambler would realise that.

(Lewis got there first.)

SrWilson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:23 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

basicasic wrote:
A shocker of a show.

That goes down as one of the all-time lamentable deals ever. What a loser. That was truly spineless. After the obligatory baloney at the start about playing poker and being a bit of a gambler I had a feeling it was all hot air; when the slightest bit of courage was required the yellow towel was thrown in. Sorry. Make that a blanket.

The Banker must have split his sides laughing after that show was recorded. A derisory insult of an offer and with the £100k and £250k still on the board (and a whole rake of blues to go at) and he still dealt it. How will the £250k ever be won!!!!

For those people who say the proveout doesn't matter, then why the pathetic celebrations when the £250k was revealed. Because it does matter. None more so than to the player who is desperately trying not too look even more pitiable.

Quite frankly I was hoping his nose would be rubbed in it during the proveout. I like to see courage rewarded and my only regret is that the £250k wasn't in his box.

I agree with everyword of this Basic!!

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:30 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

There's too much statistical twaddle spouted on this forum.

This is a show where the purported aim is to win £250k or even £100k. It is a once in a lifetime chance. NOBODY should be dealing if they are both still up on the board.

lathebault

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:31 pm    Author: lathebault    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
A shocker of a show.

Fan-*beep*-ing-tastic posts sir.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:34 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

basicasic wrote:
There's too much statistical twaddle spouted on this forum.

This is a show where the purported aim is to win £250k or even £100k. It is a once in a lifetime chance. NOBODY should be dealing if they are both still up on the board.

This is a show where the purported aim is to win the most money as possible, up to a theoretical maximum of £250,000. Doing this involves determining whether or not to take the risk of leaving with much less - in most cases, there is the prospect of winning effectively nothing.

If you had the game you wanted, it wouldn't be a game, it'd be a long drawn out reveal of a lottery prize!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

wokoman88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:53 pm    Author: wokoman88    Post subject:

Muinimula wrote:

I would have carried on there for two reasons:
a) the very high chance of an all-blue round

b) I wouldn't want to get the record for selling the £250k for the lowest amount (currently £15k, I think?)

Ha! I always follow that logic as well!! It's also why on a £100k-at-best-board I wouldn't deal for less than £6,000, £75k at best (whatever Ken won,£5,122?) etc...

Games I have seen Recorded:32 (of which 30 have been televised)
Next game to spot me: September 9th 2012

Last edited by wokoman88 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

I liked Alex and it was a good show today, but the deal was undoubtely a little "weak". However, it does have to be remembered that his board at eight-box was rather precarious, and if he had knocked out the big ones, or even one of the big ones, he'd have been chasing the £14,900 offer.

I do believe the banker when he says what he'd have offered at 5-box as a board of 4 blues and £250k or 4 blues and £100k can produce some very stingy offers indeed. Plus he seems to be making pretty stingy offers as we saw on Monday and Tuesday.

The banker clearly played it excellently today, unfortunately for Alex. I suspect the fifth offer would've been more like £34,000 and Alex would have surely dealt, so Alex was never really going to get mega money from his board as it had the two big ones and no backups...

wokoman88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:06 pm    Author: wokoman88    Post subject:

lathebault wrote:
KP wrote:

At 8-box Janet (1) held the big two and little else, she preceded to lose both and walked away with £1.

At 5-box Janet (2) held £20k £50k and £100k. She got £100.

At 5-box John G held £50k and £75k, he lost both of them and walked away with £10

Namfon held the biggest 7 at the halfway stage, she got out before it went completly wrong

Shaz held £75k and £100k at 8-box. She lost both of them in the next two boxes.

I could give you more examples if that helps.... :roll:

You want to no-deal all the way, more power to you. Go for it. Just don't claim that no-dealing is the only way to get the best outcome from the game, as that is utter twaddle.

SrWilson wrote:
oh and being a student = the bankers favorites he can get them so easy.

And? Alex can't help it. What are you suggesting, ban anyone under 25 from applying?

Games I have seen Recorded:32 (of which 30 have been televised)
Next game to spot me: September 9th 2012

Last edited by wokoman88 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:12 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject:

Yeesh, what's with all the bad deals on DoND UK these past few weeks? People are chickening out way too early and giving up the chance to win bigger money. Bit of a shame, I guess, but I suppose it can't be helped. If the carrot is dangled far enough in front of some of these players (the carrot being the Banker's offer), they walk away from a bigger payout right away. That, and not everyone wants to go all the way. It happens almost all the time on the US version.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:53 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

OH *beep* HELL.

YOU NO DEALERS. ACCEPT THAT HE DEALT. HE COULD'VE HAD 10P IN HIS BOX AND BEATEN THE BANKER. IT'S HIS DECISION, AND HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW THE GAME IS GOING TO PLAN OUT DOES HE? AT THE TIME THAT MONEY MAY HAVE HELPED HIM OUT. This forum is dividing rapidly. Don't put him down for something that luck can control. It is really depressing when I read these comments, particularly from fans of the show that don't seem to be fans at all. Let it go.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:00 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

I'm not exactly angry but that was £14,900... pathetic offer, really don't know how it could've been considered.

[ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]