Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:07 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 8:07 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

KP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:19 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
James1978 wrote:
And assuming you don't know the answer, going on in WWTBAM is just like no-dealing. To go for the 250k on there, and playing the 50:50 lifeline, it's like being offered 125k on a 250k/32k finish (say 35k for the nearest DOND comparison) - I'm sure a lot more people would take that risk being guaranteed 32k, whereas is DOND it's extremely unlikely you'll even get to that - even if you have the 250k, chances are you'll leave a blue or low red, in which case you'll be a lot more gutted if you gambled and lost as opposed to still winning 32k! :)

You're living in a fantasy world James - one where they didn't change the prize tree and ruin the music! :) :) :)

Your general points remain though. Oddly I think people are far more cautious on WWTBAM than DoND precisely because the latter presents itself as a show about gambling and does so in a way that arguably treats gambling as a positive - WWTBAM is a quiz, the high stakes are almost incidental and serve merely to bring doubt into the players' minds... the number of people I've seen take £64k after a 50:50 before - I'd not even consider doing that with £32k guaranteed!!

Very good point with the guarantee points too - and with the thought of a more stable board. In the US, half the board's rubbish too, but they have a hugely stable Power 6 with even the lowest amount in it being one-fifth of the top prize - the £100k/£250k gap on our board makes a big difference!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:38 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

basicasic wrote:
As if the thought of Miss Orry at the end of the week wasn't gross enough we had to watch the cackling sisters miss out on a huge amount of money and get bought cheap with a great board staring them in the face. It makes my blood boil when squanderers like this, who deserve to go home with nothing, get a good payout whilst so many brave players that just didn't have the luck get peanuts.

The plain fact is no-one will ever win the £250k again because an embarrassing £26k will get people out on a board like this. The show has just degenerated into a greed-fest with selfish people just out to get a few thousand quid dead easy. Nobody want to play the game, take a risk of going home with a blue for the sake of gambling for a the big money. There's very little pretence of going for the £250k these days. It grab the money and run.

As far as I'm concerned they might as well get rid of the £250k and £100k altogether and have a top prize of £30k as its all anyone is ever likely to win anyway. In fact Noel should just ask them how much they want at the start of the show, write them a cheque and save us the bother of enduring 45 minutes of this tripe.

Agree with all this!! If I got on the show i'd show how its done! because unlike alot of people I am NOT AFRAID of losing money thats not even mine anyway and its nothing in my personal wallet im gambling id play the game play the board and go for 6 figure money if not the biggie.

Everyone on this show these days seems poor or something because as soon as they see 20K they light up and run regardless of the board, its Nonsense.

Oh and her Dishonesty was bad too I am amazed Noel did not pick up on it had she played with Honesty since she thought 250K was in box 9 then she shoulda have been made to leave it 50k vs 250k and then we have the hypo swap ;) since were playing in honesty and thats where she says the money is. I'd love to have heard Noel then.

1 day before the anniversary of one of my most disliked contestants having the most enjoyable proveout I ever seen and a hell of a friend for the banker in her bf.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

cocky bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:49 pm    Author: cocky bill    Post subject:

Exactly!

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:00 am    Author: James1978    Post subject:

Ok then - if she was dishonest not to leave Box 9 until the end, then surely the banker was too for that hypo 71K? It's Ok for the banker to do it but not the player? That's ludicrous!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:04 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

James1978 wrote:
Ok then - if she was dishonest not to leave Box 9 until the end, then surely the banker was too for that hypo 71K? It's Ok for the banker to do it but not the player? That's ludicrous!!

No its not right the Banker was a lying sod I said earlier 71K was so stupid I LOL while drinking my tea.
Both the player AND BANKER need to play with total honesty!

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:06 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

No way would it have been £71,000 - you'd have to think why it was that high - I'm so convinced that Toni looking very pretty wouldn't have made the Banker offer something so SO close to the average!!!

A better than expected offer, maybe. About £55,000 at the VERY most!!!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

corncrake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:12 am    Author: corncrake    Post subject:

SrWilson wrote:
James1978 wrote:

No its not right the Banker was a lying sod I said earlier 71K was so stupid I LOL while drinking my tea.
Both the player AND BANKER need to play with total honesty!

I don't necessarily agree with it but it's a cunning tactic to persuade people to go that bit further. Still, in March 2007 it never worked as still very few people gambled. Correct, loads of gamblers would be silly but so would loads of dealers. The latter we are experienceing at the moment with most deals being bad and most gambles being bad. This run could last for months as it's all one massive sequence of 'I don't want this happening to me so I will deal/gamble (as appropriate)' and it goes wrong on both accounts for the players so the run continues. We just need one person with the balls to go for it and win massive and it could spell an end to this run. For every 22 shows 5 of them on average would produce a power 5 box. Most of the time it is sold. Can't someone have the guts to go for it while it's still there? Equally, if someone is left with 2 power 5 in the finish in active play and deals it is really annoying because ether way it's a power 5 win. Or would have been until they dealt

NoDeal!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:16 am    Author: NoDeal!    Post subject:

That 26k was not a very good offer for the board, but I don't know about a 45k offer. Col was offered 30k at 8-box with 20k, 75k, and the 250k. She had 50k, so I was expecting 35-40k. There is NO WAY 71k would have been the offer. Danielle had a very similar board and got 45k. Shirley was a gambler and was only offered 55k with 10k as a backup. I hate it when people get upset when people deal.

To the contestant, they are just there for the money. I don't think they care about making good TV. If someone is handing them 26k, it is logical to accept it. I would've NDed, thinking the round she had would've produced an offer of 50k. If she took out 250k though, the offer probably would have dropped to 15k. It's not too drastic, but if she took out 250k and 15k, her offer drops to 5k. If she hits the disaster round, maybe 250 quid. The loss was greater than the reward.

Also, basicasic, I don't know how you would rather see someone squander some money that wasn't guaranteed than lose money that you had.

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:44 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

I enjoyed Toni's game today. She seemed nice, and was making the most of her 45 minutes on TV, which I really don't blame her for. I wasn't surprised she dealt when she did. When she no dealt the £22.5k, you could see she was having doubts, the banker knew he didn't have to offer her much more to get her to deal. As for her being dishonest about picking box 9, I don't think she was. Perhaps she had a box which she always intended to leave until last regardless, and the explanation was edited out. Anyway, well done to her on winning the £26k. And was I hearing right, did she say at the beginning that her son was 24?!

Lewis246

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:52 am    Author: Lewis246    Post subject:

I don't recall Toni ever saying she thought the £250,000 was in box 9, that's what Noel thought!

Edit: And if the banker made a proveout lie in my game if I ever got on, I'd just go for the boxes I think the big money's in...

Enjoy the £26,000, Toni.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:54 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject:

CrazyChair wrote:
And was I hearing right, did she say at the beginning that her son was 24?!

Yeah that shocked me too.

basicasic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 am    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

cupcake wrote:
This run could last for months as it's all one massive sequence of 'I don't want this happening to me so I will deal/gamble (as appropriate)' and it goes wrong on both accounts for the players so the run continues. We just need one person with the balls to go for it and win massive and it could spell an end to this run.

I agree. We need one of the wingers to take the game by the scruff of the neck and win a big red. A bit of inspiration might rub off on the rest and start a run of big wins and exciting games. But looking at the wings now I can't spot anybody with real potential.

Last thing we need now is another docile deal.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:34 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

basicasic wrote:
cupcake wrote:
This run could last for months as it's all one massive sequence of 'I don't want this happening to me so I will deal/gamble (as appropriate)' and it goes wrong on both accounts for the players so the run continues. We just need one person with the balls to go for it and win massive and it could spell an end to this run.

I agree. We need one of the wingers to take the game by the scruff of the neck and win a big red. A bit of inspiration might rub off on the rest and start a run of big wins and exciting games. But looking at the wings now I can't spot anybody with real potential.

Last thing we need now is another docile deal.

And your probably gonna get another one tomorrow lol

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:50 am    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject:

Excuse the pun but the banker has hardly had to break the bank lately to get the player out the chair

No disrespect to Toni but I would have gone one more round and seen what the banker had REALLY offered instead of the VERY inflated £71,000 offer

As for player potential and taking the game by the scruff of the neck I would say Orry may provide an entertaining game when his turn comes, he seems to have lots of energy to burn without it turning it into a complete cringefest

And also may I just point out, that last December after Donna R's game had finished, Noel was practically going apopleptic about inviting friends and loved ones down but these days he is practically inviting them down from the audience if they are there, I just want to see players win the money on their own merit without someone coming down from the audience to influence the decision

You've been banker bashed
"Regrettably when he rings, he is laughing his designer socks off"

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:52 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

whenever somenone gets involved you just know they are gonna squander a power 5!

At least Toni did not cry out loud thats something!
I do not think anyone has a right to cry they gave those rights away when they said deal! You deal at a stupid offer or too soon - take the consequences like a man!

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:02 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

SrWilson wrote:
I do not think anyone has a right to cry they gave those rights away when they said deal!

You could say that if someone takes a gamble and cries, they shouldn't cry - the right to cry was removed when they no dealt.

SrWilson wrote:
take the consequences like a man!

What if they are a woman?

It's actually a year since Jim's game on 11 December 2006... Donna's was 12 December 2006. Interestingly, despite Noel showing negativity towards bringing down family members / friends at the end of her show, he was encouraging it in shows directly following!

basicasic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:08 am    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Friends and family in the audience are a menace. Once they descend its you know its squander time. Game over. For the good of the show and the contestants they should be banned out of the studio in my opinion.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:25 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
SrWilson wrote:
I do not think anyone has a right to cry they gave those rights away when they said deal!

You could say that if someone takes a gamble and cries, they shouldn't cry - the right to cry was removed when they no dealt.

SrWilson wrote:
take the consequences like a man!

What if they are a woman?

It's actually a year since Jim's game on 11 December 2006... Donna's was 12 December 2006. Interestingly, despite Noel showing negativity towards bringing down family members / friends at the end of her show, he was encouraging it in shows directly following!

They should not cry either way but it seems when they do gamble and lose not many of them cry so much as those who have dealt.

If its a woman then do not cry keep your chin up!

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:26 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I agree basic they should ban allowing others to get involved it always ends in tears.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:53 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Hmmm slightly bad deal - The real offer at 5 box would have been 52K probably. (Using Shirley's 55K as a guide).

71K was stupid.

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]