Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:54 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 11:54 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Asmap85

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:26 pm    Author: Asmap85    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
Sarah's a great girl, every mother would be proud to have a daughter like her.

Most young people would think about materialistic possessions rather then altruistic acts like her, so to give such a large amount is commendable for such a young person.

And she did mention the fact that she couldn't go on due to the fact she might not have been able to give the money to the kiddies, but as always they edited it out.

She done it for something that was close to her, and i don't understand how she can be berated for something like that. Be it 30 kids or 3000 kids i don't understand how it matters? Yes she could have got more money, but sometimes some risks aren't worth taking.

Well done Sarah xxx

Billy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:32 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject:

This is such a nice and happy forum.

She sold a 50p box for £16,500. She beat the Banker. She also seems like a lovely lady and I thought she gave us an entertaining show, but just for those who don't know, the last third offer deal was 102 shows ago, when Mark dealt at I think £12,500 in June this year, and actually had a similar game in that he didn't take out the £250k until very near the end. If you look at some third offer deals we've seen, today's wasn't actually that bad, we've had some who've dealt at similar sums and had £100k in the box!

Don't listen to the No-Dealers, Sarah, well done on your £16,500! Here's to the next 600 episodes of Deal or No Deal!

Last edited by Billy on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:11 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I called her decision stupid not directly insulting her big difference.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:12 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

alexandercbrown wrote:
h2005 wrote:

And as for the whole deal / no deal debate, I... :smt015 I seem to have fallen asleep as I've read the same thing more than ten times...

No it's not a deal/no deal debate - that's fine.

it's more the wording of the criticism and a few blunt comments.

Seriously the Deal / No Deal debate is getting immensely boring, the personal insults are just topping it off...

SrWilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:19 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I think one moral here everyone should agree is if your wanting money for a charity or cause and not yourself DO NOT come on DOND its not the show for things like that.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:22 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

SrWilson wrote:
I think one moral here everyone should agree is if your wanting money for a charity or cause and not yourself DO NOT come on DOND its not the show for things like that.

Haha they are giving away FREE money, it's the perfect show to go on!

SrWilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:28 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

you can say that of any gameshow really if your playing for a charity go on WWTBAM or something like that.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:37 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

I'm not quite sure I agree wholeheartedly with SrWilson's comment about DoND and charity, but I can sort of agree on a separate level; I'm not sure the show should necessarily be that way. Then again, on another hand it makes sense for it to be that way and, erm, there's then a whole moral can of worms there.

From a gameplay point of view, I thought £16,500 was eminently worth taking. In fact, there's a good chance I'd have taken it. All it needed was to take out the £250k, or both £35k and £75k, in round four and the offer's going down. Heck, a £75k/orange/blue round four with anything other than a non-trivial decline in the offer and I'm walking with £35k, £250k and not much else at eight-box. She had to keep all three to get anything much above the rock at eight-box, which was very much odds-against... let me do the maths here...

(8/11)*(7/10)*(6/9)... gonna need a calculator here...

168/495. Call it 1/3. That's odds-on for a stick or worse!

You'd have to think two deals ahead to think it worthwhile in my opinion, and that'd involve keeping the £250k to five-box - and that's odds-against from eleven-box too!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:46 am    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Its a laudable sentiment I know but I really don't think DOND is an appropriate place to try and win money for charity. It is a gambling show and as such it is so tempting to deal early to avoid winning the charity a small amount that large amounts can be so easily squandered. As today's show demonstrated.

I know you can argue that its the prudent thing to do in the circumstances but for a show like DOND which depends on gambling for its excitement and ultimately buoyant audience figures its just not appropriate.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:48 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

I think people watch DoND for more than that.

Though I understand that you don't.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:50 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Problem is when someone plays for Charity or has a target its VERY predictable and you can almost call the deal as soon as the offer hits 20K or close to it.
And that makes it quite boring more than anything.

Sarah to me infact looked almost reluctant to ND the 10K offer and I knew she was dealing the third as soon as the thought music played - it kinda gave it away. The Lengthy deliberating just confirmed it.

Last edited by SrWilson on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:50 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

I can sort of see where he's coming from but don't quite agree. I'm quite open minded about the game. i think pure targetism is the real problem and people not reading the baord or offers properly like yesterday.

Not sure about the charity thing today really.

I think DOND is about decision making really and people's different aproaches to the game.

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:57 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

When Sarah dealt today, I thought she'd made the right decision. The board was fairly unstable. If the £250k had gone in the fourth round, then the offer would have gone right down. A third offer deal is a bit of a novelty these days, so I was hoping that she'd do it properly and give the banker a good kicking. I suppose she did in a way, as she had 50p all along. It was just a shame she couldn't find the big numbers sooner. Well done on the £16,500, Sarah.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:11 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

I have to say initially when she dealt at the 3rd offer, I felt a bit annoyed that she didn't have the courage to go on one more round. And for much of the rest of the show, I was almost willing her to lose out.

But... thinking about it, £16,500 wasn't the worst deal I've even seen. In fact, far from it. This was because the money wasn't the main problem with this game, it was the entertainment factor more than anything. We had another long intro, so I'd already thought "early deal coming up". I thought she might have even taken the 2nd offer as there was a long pause after the question, but to telegraph the deal at the 3rd offer so obviously as to rid the show of any tension whatsoever, made most of the show a borefest for me. The most interesting part was the proveout.

I don't mind early deals, but I hate players who give away too much information. If it's a game of poker, players should stop revealing their hands, that's the problem right now.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:12 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

StatsMan wrote:

I don't mind early deals, but I hate players who give away too much information. If it's a game of poker, players should stop revealing their hands, that's the problem right now.

I agree players should keep their cards closer to their chest.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:12 am    Author: James1978    Post subject:

After seeing Charly's game collapse from one of the best 8-box boards I've ever seen to a swap away from a tenner, I can't say i blame anyone for taking an attractive amount. I can imagine the reaction on here if she'd taken 26k! Michael#s £1,000 is a diffeent matter but...

And Noel keeps going on about the Mario effect but in a way I think he's wrong, it's actually the Judy effect that the players are worried about. They're worried that the offer won't be worth the price of the banker's phone call if it becomes a complete one box game, even at 5-box, like her £350, so in effect are getting out while the going's good to avoid that scenario. At least Mario's offer was dealable.

I can't say I blame anyone for that, after seeing a immensely popular character go away with loose change after a dirty trick like that!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:16 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

James1978 wrote:

And Noel keeps going on about the Mario effect but in a way I think he's wrong, it's actually the Judy effect that the players are worried about. They're worried that the offer won't be worth the price of the banker's phone call if it becomes a complete one box game, even at 5-box, like her £350, so in effect are getting out while the going's good to avoid that scenario. At least Mario's offer was dealable.

I can't say I blame anyone for that, after seeing a immensely popular character go away with loose change after a dirty trick like that!

i think it's rubbish - offering joke offers on trainwreck boards for contestants is really stupid. it's not entertainment for me.

We're in a right trough at the moment. i hope someone rips into the banker soon along with a few more risk takers around too to increase the offers and give better games.

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:18 am    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

KP wrote:
I think people watch DoND for more than that.

Though I understand that you don't.

You must live in some utopian cocoon KP. Do you ever actually speak to normal folk who watch the show. They all love gambling. They all hate early deals. My view is much more representative of the general public that the prevailing 'dealing' attitude on this forum I'm afraid.

Duffer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:44 am    Author: Duffer    Post subject:

Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned, but I like the idea of someone going on a gameshow, being completely selfless, winning a hell of a sum of money for charity, resisting what must have been a massive temptation to carry on (and that, in itself, displays a different brand of courage) and actually then seeing that charitable project through to the end. I actually find that quite humbling and noble and lots of other words that aren't really fashionable anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see big wins as much as everyone else (Anne's deal yesterday was incredibly frustrating) but after 600 shows, I love the way the show still serves up a huge variety of games and contestants. The show would have died ages ago if it was as rigid as some on here would like it to be.

Well done Sarah. I hope you put every last penny of the £16500 to good use.

NoDeal!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:52 am    Author: NoDeal!    Post subject:

The reason I love the show is to see people win big. However, you can't criticise someone if the offer is right for them. Imagine if she had Nded and knocked out 250k, everyone would call her stupid for not taking it. Also, her PO offers were BS. 30k is just about believable because Col got that with a worse board but 41k no way in hell. Maybe 21k.

[ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]