Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:23 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 1:23 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:51 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
I completely agree with a lot of these comments. This game didn't surprise me TBH I had a bad feeling it'd be cursed from the 1st break with the recent bad luck. still I was really pleased that she won the £500 aty the end and it wasn't absolute peanuts.

I'm sick of the ludicrous joke offers as well. The banker shouldn't even bother to phone most of the time, it's ridiculous. he should at least give people decisions to make some of the time.

What has happened to this show BTW? The show has gone from people turning down really high offers and a wakeyist Noel to stupid offers and Noel advising caution and pretending offers are good when they're not?! :shock: :? :evil:

Can we have some middle ground please? i.e. luck, players assessing the board well and a banker trying to buy the box? :?

I hope we get some good games soon. With the exception of Annie/theresa they have been rubbish.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:01 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

Well as long as the Banker's ego is huge, nothing will change, Alex! IN other words, we're gonna need a strong board from (probably) Zahida on Monday else it's gonna be even worse!

Once the break finished, I knew the £250,000 would be found, then a crash!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

alex1333

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:39 pm    Author: alex1333    Post subject:

TOM22 wrote:
alex1333, whats wrong with them now? I cant see what it is :oops:

you've still got the last one with a mean of £250.01 i think LOL!

basicasic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:42 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I'm trying to figure out Endemol's motivation for turning the banker into little more than a pantomime villain. Obviously the inflated offers era was bad for the show but they have gone completely over the top in the other direction.

Are they trying to build up some 'good v evil' thing in an attempt to maintain audience interest? If so they've gone too far and I can only see people switching off in their droves if they feel that 'evil' is winning by being unfair. It is just not nice to watch.

I know you can't alter the luck of the boxes but what would it cost them to offer a 'get-out' amount towards the end of a disasterous show to at least give the contestants a chance of a fair consolation and leave a reasonably happy ending to a show rather than depression.

The current banker strategy works well on a good to medium board in my opinion and gave us a brilliant August. But on poor boards it is flawed. With months of shows already in the can I only hope they realised this quickly and came to their senses otherwise we've got plenty of depressing lows to come.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Absolutely speechless after that game, and indeed this week of games with the exception of Theresa's game, but even that had some pretty lousy offers in it. I agree with a lot of the comments that there needs to be some tense decisions to make, otherwise there's no real point in playing the game. It just becomes a lottery of hoping you've got a high red in the box and being prepared to open your box at the end. 'Deal' has effectively been wiped from the title for now.

Ever since they changed to that neon-infested set at the start of the season, the atmosphere has seemed a bit flat TBH. It's a shame because the players are quite interesting characters, but they're being bullied into submission at the moment, and it's not pleasant viewing.

This battle of the sexes thing was a load of old nonsense from the start, as you could have backtracked results to see who was the luckiest anyway (and over a greater distance to give a better sample). It's meant the men have had short runs, and the player selections (like the offers unfortunately) have been fairly predictable over the last fortnight. (I've seen the ping ball selection live, so I guess I can't say it's fixed...)

I just think, given how much the contestants contribute to the show, they should be given a lot more respect with the offers, they're just getting slapped in the face, after months waiting to get on the show. They deserve a battle otherwise there is no game, at least for TV spectacle. You might as well play the computer version and set the offers to 'stingy' if they carry on like this.

Anyway, enough ranting, let's have a good week of games, PLEASE!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:14 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
I'm trying to figure out Endemol's motivation for turning the banker into little more than a pantomime villain. Obviously the inflated offers era was bad for the show but they have gone completely over the top in the other direction.

Are they trying to build up some 'good v evil' thing in an attempt to maintain audience interest? If so they've gone too far and I can only see people switching off in their droves if they feel that 'evil' is winning by being unfair. It is just not nice to watch.

I know you can't alter the luck of the boxes but what would it cost them to offer a 'get-out' amount towards the end of a disasterous show to at least give the contestants a chance of a fair consolation and leave a reasonably happy ending to a show rather than depression.

The current banker strategy works well on a good to medium board in my opinion and gave us a brilliant August. But on poor boards it is flawed. With months of shows already in the can I only hope they realised this quickly and came to their senses otherwise we've got plenty of depressing lows to come.

I class myself as a very cautious player but recently it would have probably taken a close to the mean offer to make me deal on some of the awful boards recently. The £4 offer was ridiculous though today.

johnr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:28 am    Author: johnr    Post subject:

I found the banker comedy today quite hilarious, and spooky since I am sat in bed at this moment recovering from my hernia operation :shock:

Rockjack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:04 am    Author: Rockjack    Post subject:

It just becomes a lottery of hoping you've got a high red in the box and being prepared to open your box at the end. 'Deal' has effectively been wiped from the title for now.

that summaries it up so well at the moment with the low offers at the mo, you cant even think about the offers at the moment

NoDeal!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:57 am    Author: NoDeal!    Post subject:

She had the same final 2 as Brenda, yet she had an offer of 3 nights at Weston-Super-Mare, and Caroline gets 4 quid!! :shock: This is outrageous. The only reasonable offer was the 2,003.99. And what is with all these numbers?? :? What was the point of 953.95? It's just stupid. What is she going to do with 95p? :lol:

It seems like now you must have a superb board to get any money. Annie had a pretty good board with the 35k/250k at 5-box and only got 25k. Anna got 43k, and Rodney got 35k with pretty much the same board. Theresa had a very similar board to Catherine at 5-box and got an offer of 55k. Theresa got less than half that!! The banker's opening offers are also atrocious. 4,003 with the top 3 and 35k!! Even Enid & Daniel had nearly all blue opening rounds and 8100 and 9100. :evil: I hope whoever plays on Monday wins at least 50k to liven up this dreary atmosphere. :!:

Aramid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:16 am    Author: Aramid    Post subject:

Your deal or no deal banker is getting similar to our Philippine Banker. They are giving very low offers in early and ending rounds. I am afraid that your deal or no deal will produce very low ratings if your banker will continue those unforgivable offers.

In our version, kapamilya deal or no deal is now leaving this year because of consistent low ratings due to the banker's low offers and the players being boring.

Rich D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:40 am    Author: Rich D    Post subject:

Loved Caroline, wish she could've won much much more. Let's hope the bad run has ended, and we can get back to the rollercoaster DOND we all know & love.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:43 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

Aramid wrote:
Your deal or no deal banker is getting similar to our Philippine Banker. They are giving very low offers in early and ending rounds. I am afraid that your deal or no deal will produce very low ratings if your banker will continue those unforgivable offers.

In our version, kapamilya deal or no deal is now leaving this year because of consistent low ratings due to the banker's low offers and the players being boring.

Won't happen - we're just in a low stage at the moment. Instead of having a trainwreck every now and then we're having an entire month's supply all in one week. Bit like the rain we had all summer, ay? :roll:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

alex1333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:58 am    Author: alex1333    Post subject:

NoDeal! wrote:
seems like now you must have a superb board to get any money. Annie had a pretty good board with the 35k/250k at 5-box and only got 25k.

the thing is though she dealt it...

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:20 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

alex1333 wrote:
NoDeal! wrote:
seems like now you must have a superb board to get any money. Annie had a pretty good board with the 35k/250k at 5-box and only got 25k.

the thing is though she dealt it...

yes that type of offer was fine as it created a real dilemma and was equally dealable/no dealable as was theresa's 52K offer. They make for good games.
What is not fine is the banker making absolute joke offers in games by only offering a few hundred quid/1K as a pose to a few grand even with a bad board and not giving players tense/tricky decisions.

redrum666

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Big-Davey wrote:
Aramid wrote:

Won't happen - we're just in a low stage at the moment. Instead of having a trainwreck every now and then we're having an entire month's supply all in one week. Bit like the rain we had all summer, ay? :roll:

It very well could happen though. The offers have been pretty poor recently despite trainwrecks. Theresa's offer was, even though most including myself would've dealt it, quite unfair and low. Even Rossano's game, the first game back, he had no decisions to make and it has just continued with the odd player having some really tough decisions.

The banker really does need to change his attitude.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:16 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

If there really is one :suspect:

alex1333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:31 pm    Author: alex1333    Post subject:

i must say i prefer this banker to the one we had a few months ago. the one we had then always offered high amounts which had people dealing all the time and it was dull boring tenseless and horrible. this one is doing the exact polar opposite and making everyone no deal, this is at least tense and thats what they care about (and should care about) as this is a tv show made for entertainment

no its not nice at the moment and the huge run of blues on the table aint helping, but as soon as we see a significant red and the banker continues offering low amounts we might see another jon or daniel! (but then daniel was still offered the mean on the final 2 and the 90k offer was good as well)

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:48 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

redrum666 wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:
Aramid wrote:

It very well could happen though. The offers have been pretty poor recently despite trainwrecks. Theresa's offer was, even though most including myself would've dealt it, quite unfair and low. Even Rossano's game, the first game back, he had no decisions to make and it has just continued with the odd player having some really tough decisions.

The banker really does need to change his attitude.

i do agree with a lot of the comments said.

I think low/average offers on good boards can be well pitched to give tough tecisions and create good games but pitch them too low and it takes the fun and tension away. it's a hard balance to get right but I'm sure I could do a better job than the current banker.

I do think players should have to work hard/make tough decisions for their money. Rossano's game was rubbish in that he was forced to the final 2 but obviously it's good that he won.

I'm a moderate who would take a few calculated risks but deal a lot of the time and the best games come when moderate players/gamblers take a real risk that I'd be uneasy about by no dealing a good offer. Even with Theresa's game, the fact that I' have made it to the final 2 shows the first 4/5 offers were poor although the final offer was well pitched and I had no problem with that.

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basicasic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:59 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Look, you cannot legislate for bad luck. Trainwreck games are only going to attract low amounts offered however generous the banker is. Strong boards will attract higher amounts where even low-for-the-board offers will still be sizeable sums and will offer a challenge to the contestant.

That's life. Contestants should not expect to turn up and walk away with an easy mega-payout. Also any offer in the thousands cannot be described as unfair because they are being given the money for nothing. I was only offered £20k - thats unfair! Jeez! No-deal it then.

The main issue here is that the banker is being gratuitously mean to the point of being cruel on trainwreck games leaving everybody with a bad taste in their mouths. Yesterdays £4 offer was just savage and completely unnecessary. That can be considered unfair. An offer of £250 (chump change to Endemol) would have given Caroline a lifeline if she had wanted it. The same could have been done in Irene's game. They would still have been trainwrecks but without a bitter ending. And at a cost of peanuts to Endemol.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:20 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

I think I'm probably in agreement with you on this and accept this is not a charity and bad boards will get bad offers but there have been quite a few games lately where a player could have been offered a few thousand insetead of a few hundred/ 1K. It seems to leave a real bad taste in the mouth. Admittedly Caroline's game couldn't have been improved really to give caroline a get out (apart from the £4) but lately if Irene had been offered 4/5K for example it would have been better.

I accept the banker should be occasionally mean but lately he has been taking things too far. I'm sure I've echoed what you've said.

Still it's *beeping* ridiculous how many all power 5 rounds, worst case scenario 5/6 rounds we've had lately.

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]