Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:56 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 6:56 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:38 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
...lawks!

And just over a grand with £75,000 in the final five and a blue in the box? As long as there are offers like that there will be people who believe the Banker knows, even if I'm not one of them.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

NoDeal!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:44 pm    Author: NoDeal!    Post subject:

Arggh!!! How can the banker get away with 1000.52!! The offers are getting lower and lower, and I think we've hit rock bottom. The first 5,013 was the only semi-reasonable offer. The banker should have gone up to 6 or 7k at 5-box, or at least stuck!! But 52p is such a funny amount to win, and its a TPW, at least. But, the banker better shape up.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:47 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

With offers like this, NoDeal!, you'd better change your signature.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Billy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:13 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject:

Ok, sorry, but that's the last trainwreck I can stand. It's absolutely no fault of the players or anyone at all, but there's just been too many all-red rounds and blue wins for me for me to handle, and part of me wants to just give up entirely and stop watching, but I just *know* that the first show I miss will be one with a huge win...and plus there's too many entertaining contestants for me to give up. So as tempting as it is, I'm not gonna do a 4389.

There was just an inevibility about today which I couldn't avoid. So, so many bad games recently for great players, and Irene was no exception in both cases, and all you could do was watch helplessly as she picked off all the reds. The last few games (ok, so ones like Brenda and Theresa's were exceptions) have left me so dead that I just couldn't see her keeping those reds and she didn't. Even the comedy deal and technical Banker victory wasn't as good as it could have been, it's just been...it's just got too much and the show's no longer enjoyable.

Please please please please please prove me wrong tomorrow and have an absolutely massive and amazing win!

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:15 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

The bankers low offers are tending to force people on either to big wins or peanuts. Everyone conveniently forgets the cracking August with exciting games and decent amounts won. The downside is now with some trainwrecks (most of which I've missed).

I like the low offers because people have to work/gamble for their money rather than get it on a plate in the form of an inflated offer. It's how it should be. Nobody has got a divine right to a massive payout and everybody still goes home with more than they came with.

Bad luck Irene. Life goes on.

bluewater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:26 pm    Author: bluewater    Post subject:

I saw the last couple of minutes on channel 4+1 and another poor game

james-birmingham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:40 pm    Author: james-birmingham    Post subject:

oh irene and lucy my heart goes out to u both :(

such awful luck and if i wanted any1 to win big it was both of you :(

so sorry

heres hoping we meet again and we will both be more fortunate in the next thing we embark on :)

KP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:01 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
I like the low offers because people have to work/gamble for their money rather than get it on a plate in the form of an inflated offer. It's how it should be.

In other words, none of that pesky Dealing nonsense with offers like these. As far as I'm concerned, offers like today's are frankly bullying.

I agree that there should be risks leading to potential reward. I don't agree that the offers should be set that almost anyone would take those risks. I believe the game is about decision making. I think there've only been three decisions to make in eight games. Two of them went to the same player, the third was only a decision of any significance because it was personalised (the cash equivalent was an instant No Deal).

One grand? ONE GRAND? With a 20% chance of £75,000? Try eight grand. Even a stick at £5k would have had a certain logic behind it.

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:30 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

Well, I just can't believe it's happened yet again. That was perhaps the biggest single box crash since 1p Trevor, as missing the £75k would have left her with a five-figure offer, even with current Banker behaviour.

But that £1,000.52 offer was just taking the p!$$. He might as well have just offered her a swap. The two £5,013 offers were reasonable, and another stick there would have been as well - and that's what I was expecting. Instead he reduces the offer to a level where even greeny would gamble! We don't want inflated offers, I agree with that, but we do want testing ones, and ones that have some relevance to the game. Joke first and second offers I can accept, but at the business end of the game the Banker has to take it seriously or otherwise there is no game.

As for Jean saying "she wasn't the baddie" this time, she certainly was - had it not been for her black widow reputation Irene would have left James's box to the end instead, so she actually killed this game by having a blue!

(By the way, by my calculation that's a TBW 99.99-0.01, the most convincing non-OBW ever?)

Last edited by Power5 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travis P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:30 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject:

KP wrote:
One grand? ONE GRAND? With a 20% chance of £75,000? Try eight grand. Even a stick at £5k would have had a certain logic behind it.

Offer a third stick for removing the second highest amount on the board at the time? That would be TOO generous. I was expecting the offer to be £2,013. The Banker is suppose to be a bully and continues to keep his job to buy the contestants box as low as possible.

As mentioned today, if The Banker in such a positive mood with these trainwrecks, he might as well offer multiple swaps.

If this trend continues they'll probably nickname it Black September.

22identicalboxes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:05 pm    Author: 22identicalboxes    Post subject:

Yet another horrible game. We must get a good game on Saturday, surely?

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:10 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

KP wrote:
basicasic wrote:
I like the low offers because people have to work/gamble for their money rather than get it on a plate in the form of an inflated offer. It's how it should be.

In other words, none of that pesky Dealing nonsense with offers like these. As far as I'm concerned, offers like today's are frankly bullying.

That's not what I mean at all. I mean in general.

I agree the £1000.52 offer was tantamount to bullying and for the sake of £1k or £2k more the banker could have offered a face-saving get out for Irene leaving a reasonable feel-good ending to the show.

But he got away with it. It would have served him right if she'd taken him for £75k. But she didn't.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:27 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

:shock: Why all the horrible games...this is awful!! Poor Irene, deserved a hell of a lot more.

That £1000.52 offer was awful...

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:45 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

I think I'd better not say too much on my views on the banker and that £1,000.52 offer or I'll get banned.

I never thought there could be a worse ending than 1p Trevor but that was it. At least his £9,900 wasn't completely undealable.

Seeing her daughter break down like that made me throw things around in anger.

Unless the offers improve, and fast, it's losing another viewer. I just don't want to see people take home pocket change, I've got better things to do.

I'm beginning to wonder, if the boxes are in sequnces again?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:07 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

I'm very seriously tempted to check now :(

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:42 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

James1978 wrote:
I think I'd better not say too much on my views on the banker and that £1,000.52 offer or I'll get banned.

I never thought there could be a worse ending than 1p Trevor but that was it. At least his £9,900 wasn't completely undealable.

Unless the offers improve, and fast, it's losing another viewer. I just don't want to see people take home pocket change, I've got better things to do.

You need to take a reality check matey. Life is tough! Lots of ups and downs.

These are very lucky people who have already beaten odds of many thousands to one just to get on the show. Its a game based on luck. Some people have good luck, some people have bad. At least they have had a unique opportunity to win a huge sum of money but even if they don't they still go away with more than they came with. They haven't risked a thing. Disappointing - but no-one has died!

Players who take their knocks on the chin get my respect. Those who throw their rattle out of the pram because they've only won a small amount can only be described as greedy.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:47 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Seems I tempted fate yesterday, as Fridays have now been as bad as Thursdays for the last *ten weeks*, each having 5 blue wins. SURELY saturday's game will be a lot better, but we mustn't forget we had excellent shows in August, so it had to balance out sooner or later with trainwrecks.

What worries me is that we have had 14 blues at the table in the last 15 games, that must be statistically significant. And things like the £250,000 being next to £100,000 on the wings the other day. And Irene ending up with the same final 2 as Pete exactly a week before. And EVERYONE dealing low when they have a 10p box (Geordie, Igor, Irene...). Probably just spooky coincidence, but the programme's going through a strange phase at the moment.

I echo the points about these banker offers, because as well as draining some of the entertainment and tension out the show, they're so low it's difficult not to think there's some kind of conspiracy theory going on at the moment... not that I'm suggesting that.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:53 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
James1978 wrote:

These are very lucky people who have already beaten odds of many thousands to one just to get on the show. Its a game based on luck. Some people have good luck, some people have bad. At least they have had a unique opportunity to win a huge sum of money but even if they don't they still go away with more than they came with. They haven't risked a thing. Disappointing - but no-one has died!

Players who take their knocks on the chin get my respect. Those who throw their rattle out of the pram because they've only won a small amount can only be described as greedy.

But there has to be a game there. If too many people deal early, it's boring - I agree with you on that. But like KP and others I agree that if the offers aren't worth the price of the phone call and the player is forced to open the box, it's equally pointless.

There has to be a battle between player and Banker. Not just "you hit another red in that round, so I'll give you a joke offer". The offers need to be equally challenging on bad boards as on good ones, if possible. And it takes a higher percentage of what's remaining to give players a decision on a poor board. The production team don't seem to realise that.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
James1978 wrote:

I agree totally about the "not risked a thing", however, I'd like to see anyone be one box away from a life-changing amount, then losing it all and be able to laugh it off. I know I wouldn't, and if you can, well you're made of sterner stuff than me!

I thought 1p Trevor took it remarkably well, but even he'd been stunned into silence, I think he said about 4 words after the £250,000 had been revealed in his game. Also, read the same for PJ before he got the LTL prize. Also if the offers had been good and they turned then down and went away with a very small amount (i.e. Dennis - well read excessively generous), then they could obviously cope with losing it, but we never got to know that about Irene due to the extreme meanness.

At the moment the title of the show could be "Eliminate all the boxess one by one then hope you have a large amount in the last one remaining". :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:50 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Power5 wrote:
But there has to be a game there. If too many people deal early, it's boring - I agree with you on that. But like KP and others I agree that if the offers aren't worth the price of the phone call and the player is forced to open the box, it's equally pointless.

There has to be a battle between player and Banker. Not just "you hit another red in that round, so I'll give you a joke offer". The offers need to be equally challenging on bad boards as on good ones, if possible. And it takes a higher percentage of what's remaining to give players a decision on a poor board. The production team don't seem to realise that.

I broadly agree with what you and KP are saying. Offers need to be at least tempting at the latter stages to offer the player a decent choice and keep the game interesting for the viewers.

I haven't seen the recent trainwrecks so am probably less shell-shocked than you guys. I like the low offers because they gave us a cracking run in August when the luck of the boxes was good. But recently the boxes have been unlucky and really the banker could have shown a bit more compassion in the latter stages. Having forced players on he could give a get out by at least proffering a respectable or tempting offer for an albeit poor board at 5 or 2 box. There is no reason to rub players noses in the sh*t.

I just get annoyed at folk who think the show should be 'easy money'. It needs to be fought for and won but with fair play from the banker.

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]