Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 am Last visit was: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 3 posts ] 

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:39 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: DoND Canada: February 4, 2007 ***SPOILER WARNING!***

Warnings: 0
Hello, all. I figured that all of you non-Canadians out there would like to know about our new version of DoND, so I'll be providing the recaps for DoND Canada. Of course, because I'm not JR, the guy who does the USA recaps, there will be no statistical breakdowns or anything like that in these recaps. This is also because I really suck at math :lol: . Okay, now that we've established that, let's get to the recap.

First of all, one thing that remains the same from the USA version is the host - Howie Mandel. Howie is of Canadian descent - he was born in Toronto, Ontario, where this version of DoND is taped - so it only seemed right to make him the host of DoND Canada. From here on in, there a number of significant changes, all of which will be outlined here.

Howie enters by trotting down the models' stairs. Right off the bat, you can see that this set is truly Canadian. The contestant platform is even shaped like a maple leaf :D ! It basically looks the same as the US version's set, except smaller, and the only major differences are purely cosmetic. And since this is Canada, we've got 26 Canadian models as well. Here they are:

Amanda Perreira from Toronto, Ontario (Model #24)

Amber Borde from Toronto, Ontario (Model #2)

Angélica Escudero from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Vancouver, British Columbia (Substitute Model)

Katherine Aniela Fergusson-Kurylo from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Substitute Model)

Brandi Alexander from Toronto, Ontario & Vancouver, British Columbia (Model #4)

Brittany Gray from Pickering, Ontario (Model #5)

Candace Edwards from Toronto, Ontario; a Trinidad & Tobago native (Model #25)

Chantale Nadeau from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec (Model #10)

Jennifer Cooper from Waterloo, Ontario; originally from Pickering, Ontario (Model #12)

Daphne Kostova from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Plovdiv, Bulgaria (Model #6)

Hinde Rabbaj from Longueuil, Quebec; won the model audition in Montreal (Model #8)

Jennifer Fletcher from Calgary, Alberta; originally from Red Deer, Alberta; won the model audition in Calgary (Model #23)

Jennifer Jacqueline Palamos from Abbotsford, British Columbia; originally from Surrey, British Columbia; won the model audition in Vancouver (Model #20)

Jessica Gabrielle Hebert from Winnipeg, Manitoba; won the model audition in Winnipeg (Model #22)

Jessica Rimmer from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Coldwater, Ontario (Model #1)

Jessica Antonella Romano from Toronto, Ontario (Model #11)
Jill Clark from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Mississauga, Ontario (Model #14)

Kylee Evans from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Stellarton, Nova Scotia (Model #19)

Laura Elizabeth Pilotte from Whitby, Ontario; originally from Pickering, Ontario (Model #17)

Lilette Wiens from Toronto, Ontario (Model #13)

Megan Lindley from Hamilton, Ontario (Model #3)

Michelle Lindo from Brampton, Ontario (Model #9) Fun Fact: This one might be a relative of mine. I have an aunt whose maiden name is Lindo, but this isn't her, unfortunately.

Nora Kwong from Toronto, Ontario (Model #18 ) Fun Fact: Nora Kwong is actually very familiar to me, since I've been seeing her modeling anything from women's suits to lingerie in Sears ads that I get in my newspaper each week :-D ! She's been in the Sears ads for several years now, and is currently the only Asian model on the show, I think. DoND USA has 2, I believe (No. 19 Mylinda, and No. 8 as well, I think. They also had a Japanese one named Yoi who held Case 20 before Alike did in the original 5 episodes from 2005, if any of you remember that).

Sarah Laurene Jackson from Barrie, Ontario; originally from Toronto, Ontario; won the model audition in Toronto (Model #15)

Shanu Rawat from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Vancouver, British Columbia (Model #26)

Siovan Hope-Ross from London, Ontario; originally from St. Maarten; native of Trinidad (Model #21)

Tenika Davis from Toronto, Ontario; originally from Newmarket, Ontario (Model #16)

Véronique Landry from Montreal, Quebec; originally from Chicoutimi, Quebec (Model #7)
Fun Fact: Veronique also appears on the French version Le Banquier, where she holds Case 14 (oddly enough, 14 is a multiple of 7).

21 of these lovely ladies are professional models that were hired through the show, while 5 others won their spots through auditions that were held in 5 Candian cities. Unfortunately, they didn't bring Leyla Milani, the model who holds Case 13 on the US version with them to this version. Like Howie, she is also from Toronto, but for some reason, she's not part of this version :( . Oh, well...

Now, let's meet out first contestant, Brain Traynor from Medicine Hat, Alberta. He's a firefighter, and he's brought along a calendar that he and the other members of his squadron posed for. They're all holding numbered cases like the DoND models, and Brian tells us that he'll be choosing his cases based on the numbers that they're holding in each month. But first, he gives us his selection:

Chosen Case: [5]

That's the case he was holding in the calendar :) .

Before we get to the game, here's a look at the board:

Left Side
$0.01
Loonie
Toonie
$5
$10
$25
$50
$75
$100
$200
$300
$400
$500
---------
Right Side
$750
$1,000
$5,000
$10,000
$25,000
$50,000
$75,000
$100,000
$200,000
$300,000
$500,000
$750,000
$1,000,000

Right off the bat, there are differences to the board as well. The $750 has been moved to the right side of the board, there is no $400,000 space, and the two spaces below the penny are marked Loonie and Toonie. Here's why. In Canada, we have $1 and $2 coins. The $1 coin is called a loonie because there is a loon (a duck-like bird) pictured on the front. The $2 coin is called a Toonie because, well, it just rhymes with Loonie, that's all :-D . It's actually a combination of the words two and Loonie. If you've ever seen one, it kind of looks like a poker chip. Anyway, now that we've covered that, let's get to the game

Round 1: 6 to open.
[9] - $5,000
Another small note: When one of the small amounts is revealed, you hear the 'Deal' sound, or the sound heard when a player accepts an offer. Also, the interior of each of the cases is now red instead of dark blue, the color used on the US version. That's probably because one of the colors of the Canadian flag is red. The font for the dollar amounts is different as well.
[24] - Toonie ($2)
Yes, it actually says Toonie in the case :-D .
[19] - $200,000 D'oh :( !
[10] - $50
[26] - $25
[15] - $500,000 D'oh :( !

Well, that was a pretty good round, despite taking out 2 of the Power 6. Let's see what the Canadian Banker has to say. The Banker's office is another signifcant change to the show. He's basically standing behind a screen, and instead of sitting at a desk, he paces back and forth. It kind of looks like he's in the penalty box, like in hockey. We also get to see some camera shots from behind the screen, which actually let us see what the Banker looks like. We can't see his face, but what we can see is that he's wearing a dark suit and a headset. Sometimes, he holds onto the screen with one of his hands, which makes the audience laugh for some reason. He makes a call to Howie, who answers the red Rogers phone (Rogers is a telecommunications company in Canada, and they're one of the show's sponsors). They even kept the ringtone from the US version :) !

Bank Offer: $30,000

Pretty high for a first offer :) !
However, Brain says No Deal, and we open 5 more cases.

Round 2: 5 to open.
Brian is still using the calendar to help him select the cases.
[13] - $100
[8] - $1,000,000 D'oh :( !!!
At this point, Brian abandons the calendar, and decides to pick cases on his own now.
[21] - Loonie
Looks like that was a good idea :) !
[2] - $50,000
[1] - $0.01 :)
Pretty good round, despite losing the million. Let's see what the Banker has to say:

Bank Offer: $42,000

Before he makes his decision, we meet his supporters, one of which is is mother. She comes over to him and give him one his favorite childhood toys, a battered old stuffed duck, or his "Lucky Duckie", as Howie puts it :-D . After that, Brian says No Deal, and we open 4.

Round 3: 4 to open.
[4] - $200
Looks like the Lucky Duckie is working :-D !
[25] - $300
[3] - $75
[20] - $25,000
Well, it appears as if the Lucky Duckie has really proved its worth :-D ! But what sayeth the Banker this time?

Bank Offer: $73,000

Brian says No Deal, and we open 3

Round 4: 3 to open.
Brian goes up to the stairs with Howie to watch Jill open her case up close.
[14] - $10,000
[11] - $100,000 D'oh :( !
[7] - $10
Hey, it looks like my theory of Case 7 almost always having low amounts in it has carried over to Canada :) ! With that out of the way, here's the Banker again.

Bank Offer: $121,000

That's some serious money, considering that Canadian game shows used to have a top payout of, like, $500 or less per show back in the day :-D . And by the way, just like on the UK version, any money won on DoND Canada is tax-free (a law in Canada, I think) :D !

Despite being given a great offer, Brian says No Deal. He now has 2 cases to open.

Round 5: 2 to open.
[18] - $300,000 D'oh :( !
[6] - $500
Banker time again...

Bank Offer: $109,000

After thinking it over carefully, Brian says Deal, making him the first big winner in DoND Canada history :D . A fire engine's siren goes off as well, just because Brian's a firefighter :) . But now it's time for the proveout, just to see if Brian, in fact, made a good deal.

[12] - $75,000

Bank Offer: $140,000

[22] - $750

Bank Offer: $202,000
Uh oh...

[16] - $1,000

Bank Offer: $268,000 :shock:
Methinks Brian dealt a bit too early...

[17] - $750,000 :D
Or maybe not. Inside Brian's Case 5 is only...

[5] - $400
Hey, not bad. Looks like he made a pretty good deal after all. $109,000 is indeed a ton of money. Congratulations, Brian :D !

Peak offer: $268,000
Dealt at: $109,000
Case value: $400

I guess we can call this a Techincal Player Win. JR, can we get a ruling here, please :lol: ? Okay, it's time to reload the cases (and the models :) )and bring in a new contestant. This one's name is Theresa Daranciang, from Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. She's a Mountie (one of those horse-mounted police officers that wears those bright red coats), and she calls herself a "Mini-Mountie" because, well, she's really, really short :lol: . She's also completely insane. To date, I haven't seen a contestant screaming as loud as she was on the US or UK versions. According to the DonD Canada website, during her contestant audition in Winnipeg, she went so nuts that she hyperventilated :o . And just like Brian before her, she's also got a lucky object with her - a wooden Mountie statue that she calles her "Minier Mountie" :lol: . Anyway, after consulting with the Minier Mountie, she decides to choose Case 15. So, in true USA recap fashion...

Chosen Case: [15]
Okay, let's do this thing.

Round 1: 6 to open.
[2] - $10
[4] - $750
[14] - $25,000
Yeesh, her screaming is beginning to iritate me already. And this woman's supposed to be a police officer :? ?!
[11] - $10,000
Howie: "Maybe you should run the RCMP pep rally." :lol:
[7] - $0.01 :D
Yay! More crap amounts in No. 7! This theory of mine really does work! :D
[19] - $100
Kylie (Case 19 model): "I want to see some kicks."
And that's exactly that Theresa does, after completing a fantastic round :) . Let's see what the Baker offers her...

Bank Offer: $44,000 :shock: !!!

Banker's comments (to Howie): "How can something so small be so loud and annoying?" My thoughts exactly :lol: . Getting back to the offer, $44,000 is the largest opening offer in North American DoND history. Wow, there have been so many historic things happening on DoND Canada so far. It's amazing :) ! Of course, no one is ever going to take the first offer of the game, so Theresa says No Deal, and we open 5.

Round 2: 5 to open.
[10] - $200,000 D'oh :( !
[22] - $75
[1] - $100,000 D'oh :( !
[16] - $750,000 D'oh :( !
[5] - $1,000,000 Double d'oh :( !!!
Well, that round pretty much sucked horribly. She knocked out 3 of the Power 6, including the million, and that's going to kill the next offer, which is...

Bank Offer: $19,000 :(

Yep, I was right. Well, this is obviously going to be refused, as we get a quick No Deal from Theresa, who now has to face the daunting task of opening 4 cases.

Round 3: 4 to open.
[25] - $1,000.
Okay, that's better.
[26] - $500
As is that.
[17] - $300
And that.
[6] - $500,000 D'oh :( !
But not that!

Well, that round was a little better than the previous one, but the unfortunate part is that Theresa only has one Power 6 amount left on the board ($300,000). She'll have to work very hard to protect that amount, but before she can do that, she has to consider this...

Bank Offer: $31,000

Despite losing the half-million, the offer went up. However, Theresa, ever the gutsy contestant, says No Deal, and we open 3.

Round 4: 3 to open.
We'll open those cases next time (Thursday at 9 PM EST, to be precise). Until then, I hope you enjoyed my first-ever recap of DoND Canada!

J.R.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:51 pm    Author: J.R.    Post subject: Re: DoND Canada: February 4, 2007 ***SPOILER WARNING!***

Fantastic game, Mark! Looks like Canadian DoND is off to a great start! I just love the "Loonie" and "Toonie" spaces on the board!

Mark77 wrote:
Peak offer: $268,000
Dealt at: $109,000
Case value: $400

I guess we can call this a Techincal Player Win. JR, can we get a ruling here, please :lol: ?

Sadly, I have to rule it a Technical Banker Win at 60-40. :( However, I do believe $109,000 Ca. is now the largest amount ever won in Canadian television history as well as breaking the six-figure barrier! (Beating the previous record of $64,000 Ca. on the short lived Canadian "Millionaire"!)

If you're curious how I come up with the numbers for a "Technical" win, here is the formula:

Quote:
Prize won divided by Peak Offer multiplied by 100.

If the number you get is above 50, then the Player has the win. If below 50, the game is The Bankers. If the number is exactly 50, then it's a Tie.

And it's just that simple!

For a more complex explanation of the scoring: http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/dealexplanation.htm

Very good job with the recap, Mark! I will look forward to the next game!

-Joe R.

J.R.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:44 pm    Author: J.R.    Post subject:

Oh great news!!! Someone has posted the first episode of DoND Canada on YouTube!!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsca_jvQrFM - Part One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htPZYi5rRGU - Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d2Mhlwq5zg - Part Three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McwFah2exC8 - Part Four

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muh1gS-mro - Part Five

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CKk7vapQkI - Part Six

Enjoy!!!

-Joe R.

[ 3 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]