Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:03 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:03 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 5 posts ] 

Ian W

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:40 pm    Author: Ian W    Post subject: Deal or No Deal Around The World!

Warnings: 0
International versions

Argentina - Trato Hecho
Australia - Deal or No Deal
Belgium - Miljoenenjacht
Belgium - Te Nemen of Te Laten
Brazil - Topa ou Não Topa
Bulgaria - Sdelka ili ne
Canada - Deal or No Deal / Le Banquier (will premiere in the spring of 2007)
Chile - Trato Hecho
Croatia - Uzmi ili Ostavi
Denmark - Deal No Deal
Finland - Ota tai jätä
France - À prendre ou à laisser
Germany - Deal or No Deal - Die Show der GlücksSpirale
Greece - Deal
Greece - Super Deal
Hong Kong - Deal or No Deal/一擲千金 (Chinese version, premiere October 29, 2006)
Hungary - Áll az alku
India - Deal Ya No Deal
Israel - דיל או לא דיל
Italy - Affari Tuoi
Japan - The Deal (aired on September 8, 2006 for the Special Program)
Mexico - Vas o No Vas
Netherlands - Miljoenenjacht (the original version)
Netherlands - Deal or No Deal (the direct version)
Norway - Deal or No Deal
New Zealand - Deal or No Deal (Australian version)
Pan-Arab States - Deal or No Deal
Philippines - Kapamilya, Deal or No Deal
Poland - Grasz czy nie grasz
Russia - Sdelka
Romania - Da sau nu
Slovenia - Vzemi ali pusti
Slovakia - Ruku na to
South Africa - Deal or No Deal
Republic of Korea - Yes or no
Spain - ¡Allá tú!
Sweden - Deal or No Deal
Switzerland - Deal or No Deal - Das Risiko
Thailand - Deal or No Deal
Tunisia - Deal or No Deal
Turkey - Büyük Teklif
United Kingdom - Deal or No Deal
United States - Deal or No Deal (English version)
United States - Vas o No Vas (Spanish version)

I just thought I would put together this so everyone can see all the versions of Deal or No Deal around the world.

Announced international versions
Czech Republic - Deal or No Deal
Serbia - Uzmi ili Ostavi

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:38 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal Around The World!
Administrator & Global Moderator

Ian W wrote:
Republic of Korea - Yes or no

Haha, I think that one has to be my favourite. :lol:

Super Aguri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Author: Super Aguri    Post subject:

Isn't that just off the wikipedia dond page? :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_or_no_deal

Anyway I do like the sound of that Yes or No Game :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_or_no

Tugger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:47 pm    Author: Tugger    Post subject:

26,000 Yes or No? NO! :lol:

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:24 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

It's worth pointing out how there are several distinct 'variations' around the world.

There are three key ones, however.

The first is the 'original audience-participation variation'. These shows are usually, to a greater or lesser extent, copies of the Dutch Miljoenenjacht; a large audience-participation quiz whittles down the audience to a single contestant, and the Deal or No Deal game is effectively a bonus round. (In fact, Miljoenenjacht was launched in 2000 with a trivia endgame, and only introduced the DoND endgame in 2002.) The money is held in cases which are bought to the set by models designed to look identical through wigs and heavy make-up, but in fact beaten finalists in the quiz hold the other cases and can win money by guessing what they have in their case. There are always 26 cases, offers made in the pattern 6-5-4-3-2-1-1-1-1. Offers appear on a screen without the use of a personified 'Banker', and are largely formula-bound and consistently tends towards the mean, frequently going above it in train wreck games. The sets vary but are defined by the audience being split into two sections, each of which consists of multiple blocks - this is for the purpose of the early rounds of the quiz. This version still exists largely untouched in Belgium, Argentina and several other countries.

The second is what I call the 'European comedy variation', with players waiting their turn (and often representing regions), a set that does not at all resemble the typical post-Millionaire neon-and-spotlight model, boxes used to contain the money, a significant comedy emphasis and highly unpredictable offers made after every three boxes, sometimes influenced by a Banker who knows where the money is. The UK follows that model, though several elements of the original French/Italian pattern were removed (the small quiz element to choose a player, the heavy use of music and singing, the omniknowing Banker) and the emphasis is placed on the contestants. Most of the European versions are like this; the Indian version was also similar but with the distinct difference that the offers were consistently exceptionally generous and often above the mean. There was also a substantial celebrity element to that version, I believe.

The other, and this is the one on the rise at present, is the 'NBC variation' - I would call this the 'American variation', but there was a pilot by another US network (ABC) which had elements of the previous two variations but was somewhat different to either. This variation is characterised by the set and graphics - a neon-lit staircase upon which the models stand holding the cases on stands, a booth for the Banker (though he is kept in shadow) and a large game board in a key position close to the contestant's table upon which sits the phone, with the values shown in gold bars which flip over upon that amount being revealed - the logo based on this principle is the same for almost every show using this variation. The set generally makes heavy use of neon, usually turning red at offers and blue or purple otherwise. Offers are made as per the original variation but are somewhat more variable and may take the form of something other than a straight cash offer for purposes of comedy, psychological pressure, product placement or a combination thereof. They are shown on a separate display on the set as they are announced, and TV viewers can also see the list of previous offers. This variation exists in the Phillippines, Canada and most countries that have very recently introduced the format; other countries have taken elements from this variation and introduced them to their existing version (France, Australia) or produced a version broadly similar to, but not a carbon copy of, this variation (Sweden).

EDIT: Things I forgot:

* The Swedish version fits the original audience-participation variation as well as the NBC variation, as there is a quiz to determine the player and a set designed accordingly though otherwise similar to the US set; also, it uses only 24 cases, with - bizarrely - the two-case round skipped. Yes, 6-5-4-3-1-1-1-1. I still think 6-5-4-3-2-1-1 would be fantastic myself.
* Models open the cases in all forms of the NBC variation. That needed emphasis as it's often played up significantly, especially in the US where the models are often more than just pretty faces.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 5 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]