Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:18 pm Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 7:18 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 1 post ] 

KP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:55 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Miljoenenjacht, Dec 7 2008 [SPOILER]
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
It's the fourth episode of what has been as compelling a series as ever, with one massive standout episode. What will this one offer? The final two in the quiz are Jacqueline (with shiny boots and trousers that the camera amusingly zooms in on) and grey-haired, bespectacled Jan, who has children aged 18 and 19 if I understood that right. Jacqueline also looks old enough to potentially have grown-up children.

The counter goes up pretty quickly so this should be big, but it slows down and is now going up in bizarre steps. Linda is sounding excessively excited to say the least. It stops at €54,000! Massive cheers from the Wakeyists in the audience and an expression of utter shock from Linda. Two people win €27,000 in the audience... hang on what's this? It's a yes/no question! With a 472/26 yes response! No wonder, it appears (from freetranslation.com's mangling) to roughly translate to 'do you want that case amount* in two divided amounts?' or something.

* the amount the money clock stops at is hidden inside a case which is revealed afterwards

One old lady gets €27,000... one younger lady gets €27,000... but who gets to play for the big money?

Maths question: 125-87 = ? This takes ages! Jan gets it in the end, 38!

So it's JAN'S game, with case 22 as his choice. He is wearing a horizontally striped jumper, not the height of fashion.

ROUND 1
'Intuitive' thinking leads to...
17 - €500!
13 - €75,000
1 - he tried to open it before a prediction! - €5,000
9 - €100,000
8 - €10!
16 - €100!

Good opening round. Just about as good as you can ask for.

OFFER €27,000

I had €26,000 written in before it came up, the opening offers have settled into a pattern this series. NO DEAL, which I typed before it happened.

ROUND 2
23 - €5!
26 - €400,000! Quick opening, first hit.
4 - €1,000,000! Wakey will be happy. 'Oh, hello' Jan says...
15 - €5,000,000!! Jan still sounds almost sanguine, and with €2,500,000 in play you can almost not blame him. His wife sounds amused!
6 - €1!

Damaging round to say the least.

OFFER €48,000

Well that says it all about this offer pattern. Some slight delay before a NO DEAL.

ROUND 3
24 - she's 18 and was in the final six, some chat here. €50,000
19 - €2,500,000!! 'Sorry!' Linda is stunned. 'It's all in the game...' she says, in English.
2 - €10,000
21 - €1,000. Correct guess for €12,000! First one of the night.

Four six-figure amounts remain and this is still reasonably worth considering a bad board by this show's standards.

OFFER €54,000

Too stable to even consider it for me. Crowd start shouting. 'That's what the public think...' NO DEAL.

ROUND 4
7 - €25,000
25 - €20! (he guessed €0.20!)
Adbreak before...
3 - €200,000

A round that went to plan really, one of the big numbers was expected to go, the lowest did but so too did the only other one on the right.

OFFER €98,000

'That's a serious offer'. His wife says Deal, but Jan is impulsive in saying NO DEAL! I don't blame him.

His wife says something funny I didn't understand, which causes Linda to burst into high-pitched hysterics, before...

ROUND 5
5 - €2,500!
The bottom three are still in play, but so too are three huge amounts.
14 - €300,000!

It's still briefly applauded, it's the lowest of the block and we now have a bit of a classic situation: two huge amounts, four tiddlers and one case to open.

The Final Six
€0.01
€0.20
€0.50
€50
€500,000
€750,000

OFFER €118,000

I think his wife wants him gone. I might be gone. First really tricky offer of the night... NO DEAL!

I don't think she's happy...

ROUND 6
20 - €0.01!

OFFER €155,000

Uncertain reaction. The crowd are shouting but I can't tell what. I think I'm gone now but I'm still not at all sure. I'd be happy with a No Deal here... AND NO DEAL IT IS!

No, the wife is not happy.

ROUND 7
12 - €0.20!!

Cue shot of one hugely relieved wife. This is one of the biggest gambling games I've seen here... Linda says it's now 50:50, as there's two huge amounts and two tiny ones...

OFFER €206,000

Cue shot of one very animated wife. I'm actually more tempted to go on now for some reason but... oh goodness. Arguable either way as they all have been in the one-to-open rounds. I don't know what he'd offer if I hit one big number; the mean is still above €206,000 if the €500,000 goes...

NO DEAL!

Well we might find out what the new all-or-peanuts offer pattern is. It is, indeed, 50-50.

I heard Linda say 'exciting' but she also looks a bit shocked; I can't discern any non-neutral trend with my near-zero understanding of the language.

ROUND 8
10 - €750,000!

Linda places her hands by the side of her head and sounds a bit shocked. But this game is not over with €500,000 in play. Linda appears to talk up the offer...

OFFER €133,000

It's applauded, I'm gone in a flash, that's the bailout and I think Linda thinks the same (guessing only from tone of voice). 'Absolutely fair' she appeared to say there. 'STOP!' cries his wife. They're applauding and laughing at the interplay between these two...

DEAL! Well he had to. That's the furthest I've seen anyone No Deal on this game with big money in play for a long, long time. And I can't say with any certainty I wouldn't have done the same... perfectly pitched offers. Best guess, I'd have got €155k.

ROUND 9 (proveout)
18 - €50!

It's half a million euro versus, um, half a euro.

Case 22 is opened awkwardly by Linda, to great laughter... she drops it!

11 has €500,000! That's a €2,000 correct guess bonus and it means there's just €0.50 in the awkwardly handled Case 22!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 1 post ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]