Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 9 posts ] 

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
I was convinced this must have come up somewhere before, but couldn't find it.

Put simply, why do you still watch the show (if, unlike myself, you still do?); what is it that's kept you hooked? What has you tuning in to Channel 4 every day or catching repeats if you miss a show (or at least, viewing commentaries on here)?

I'm putting this out there for two reasons; firstly, I'd like to know people's thoughts, and secondly for my own knowledge, because I haven't watched for over five years, having grown disillusioned with the show around March 2008.

The latter point in mind, I'd be very interested to hear the aspects of DoND which still have people watching; what, exactly, has maintained its grasp on your viewing time?

:smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:00 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?
Global Moderator

I think one of the main reasons I watch the show is because the players are there for weeks beforehand, and some of them you want to see how they get on. That's the main reason I began watching again three years ago, because there were a few players on the wings I noticed more than others, and I was waiting for their game. And then, I just carried on watching. :smt023

Also, because I now keep stats on the show (more on the players themselves and their wing positions, rather than their winnings). :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:29 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?
Forum Games Moderator

Why are you posting here if you don't watch the show :roll: :roll:

:-D :P

I'd better stop posting here as well... don't want to be a hypocrite... :-D

Saperogo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:24 am    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?

Well, I am unable to regularly watch games. The few times that I'm actually free to watch a game, I do so because I like the atmosphere of the studio. It's much more pleasant to watch this game show than any other American game show, especially since it's all about flashy lights and boobs around here. I also like how you sort of get to know each player in the weeks before they start playing. This is somewhat lost in the commentary threads (especially since people complain whenever there's stuff going on that doesn't involve boxes).

Regardless, even if I were free to watch the game daily, I probably wouldn't.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:43 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?
International Forums Moderator

I mainly follow commentary these days. It feels sort of like following a football team - even if you don't want to watch the games, or can't, you have to follow the results and get a feel for the season's narratives. And sometimes the descriptions of the games can bring them to life in their own way, and are less frustrating than screaming at the players as they do something you wish they didn't.

I'm sure Daniel will appreciate the analogy.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:42 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?

I actually don't watch any more the current shows anyway, but I am still interested in reading the commentaries so I can watch on C4+1 or 4OD when something really important happens (i.e. Paddy).

Now there are no more Sunday shows I reckon I'll struggle to see any current games live at all, though I'm still hooked on the Challenge repeats though I'm still about 3 months behind (I'm up to March 2007 but they're now showing June) - you could hardly get a more contrasting time to now!! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:20 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?
Forum Games Moderator

Interesting viewpoints. I do indeed appreciate the analogy :P .

I think it may well be true in my own case, too. I no longer ignore the game (DoND, that is) completely, and do check the commentaries with regularity, often running from start to finish of the show for my own number-besotted delight.

It is similar to football, because although I haven't physically seen a match since November, I have almost a need to keep myself up to date with everything, every score, every player, and so on. So I can understand that, yes.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

BrianR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:21 am    Author: BrianR    Post subject: Re: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?

I'm most probably in a minority here. I used to watch every episode I could , I then, through work commitments, started missing a few shows during the week and used commentary to keep up to speed on missed shows.

I then watched one show in possibly December last year (can't remember which though) and I thought to myself, why am I still watching this.

I haven't watched a show at all this year.

Will I start watching the show again? I don't know.

If it got back to how it use to be; 45 minute shows, just opening boxes, perhaps.

But as been noted before on this forum, it won't change now.

It would be like football going back to one substitute and re-allowing the back pass to the goalkeeper.

Things evolve over time, I occasionally wish they stay as they are.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Why do you still watch Deal or No Deal?

I follow the commentaries posted here, mostly. Some of them are quite well-written, so hats off to the members of the recap team for their good work :).

That being said, I can understand why some people are losing interest. Commitments such as work, school, living in a foreign country and other such things often make it difficult to be a regular viewer.

The other issue is that the show doesn't really have anything else left to offer us. It's the same thing over and over again.

The following sums up every episode that has ever aired in a nutshell.

Contestant opens up to 20 boxes, receives offers from the Banker, and eventually either takes one of them or opens their box. Sometimes nice things happen, and sometimes it's the opposite.

In the midst of that, Noel tries to be funny, but usually ends up being upstaged by the contestant because of (insert reason here). Then the Banker takes some shots at the player mid-round or before revealing his offer(s). We're supposed to either laugh or boo, but we usually don't because he says the same things all the time.

Sometimes it's a themed week, and that means it's time to mess around with the rules and have the contestants perform some kind of physical task in order to win a bonus prize. They get the prize if they complete the task, but the Banker looks inside their box if they fail. Also, everyone dresses up in costumes that match the theme. Randomness from Noel and the Banker are at an all-time high, but it's still not very funny. Other than that, it's the same old box-opening game with money and stuff.

It's been like this for eight years.

There is a famous quote from Albert Einstein that sums this up perfectly: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

[ 9 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]