Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:08 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:08 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Warnings: 0
Im surprised there hasn't been a thread set up about this before. But today's question is: What is your least favourite power-5 win ever, whether it be because it felt undeserved or because it was forced or because you just didn't like the player?

My 3 least favourite power 5 wins would be:

- £75k Julie (October 2008). I found Julie somewhat irritating and until this point there hadn't been a huge win since £100k Betty's game, the producers had gotten so desperate that they decided to force her to the end with the swap-only offer at 2-box

- £50k Andy (November 2008). The cake gimmick made it very easy for the banker to pitch his offers very low throughout the game and I wasn't too keen on Andy either. He then dealt at what seemed like a miserable £50k on a £10k/£250k finish, HOWEVER if he had picked the gold based candle at the end, his winnings would've been doubled to £100k, which unfortunately didn't happen. Would've gotten an interesting reaction on here if he was successful though!

- £50k Patrick (March 2007). Purely just because of the reaction when he undersold the £250k. Patrick had dealt at £50k on a 1p/£750/£35k/£75k/£250k final 5, it was a good offer for the board, but unfortunately the proveout went totally the wrong way and he ended up with the £75k/£250k finish and inevitably had the big prize in his box. What i didn't like about this was the fact that EVEN THOUGH Patrick had just won FIFTY THOUSAND POUNDS, the players on the wings made a big funeral out of Patrick underselling the £250k, as if Patrick had won 1p instead of £50,000!! :shock: (Especially Di, who was crying, almost hysterically, Patrick undersold it!!!). I just think it gave the impression that they'd lost sight of the value of money here, and we were in an era where big gamblers and glory hunters were commonplace (This could've been provoked by Noel's gambling influence at the time too)

So what do you guys think? which is your least favourite power-5 (£35k+) wins?

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:48 am, edited 6 times in total.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:56 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

I'll have to think this one through properly but Julie is easily up there, it's not even like she had to show any bravery to have a big gamble at 2-box.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
Global Moderator

To be fair to Julie, it takes serious courage to swap with such a huge contrast between boxes.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 am    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

£70k Paul - I was happy when he dealt at £70k but what ticked me off is when he started crying just because he had the £250k in his box. Talk about ungrateful! :smt011

Fan of classic rock and metal

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:29 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
Global Moderator

BankerSpanker wrote:
£70k Paul - I was happy when he dealt at £70k but what ticked me off is when he started crying just because he had the £250k in his box. Talk about ungrateful! :smt011

That was unfortunate, but I was more annoyed with how people said it was an easy £250,000 win, and he blew it. Let's be honest, how can turning down £100,000 with £100 there be considered an easy £250,000 gamble?

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:30 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

hogwild94 wrote:
BankerSpanker wrote:

That was unfortunate, but I was more annoyed with how people said it was an easy £250,000 win, and he blew it. Let's be honest, how can turning down £100,000 with £100 there be considered an easy £250,000 gamble?

Only to robots with a faulty logic sensor.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Actually, I'm giving an honorary mention to £75k Belinda's game, solely because of her game thread on here turning into a showcase of pointless petty bickering started by a certain member! :evil: (think we all know who that was :roll:)

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:13 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Ali's £40k that led to it coming to a head......

Also £72k Tony from April falls into that category and £60k Matt from March 2008 which had much the same problem but from different users. I need to be more tolerant though. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:37 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

hogwild94 wrote:
BankerSpanker wrote:

...and we still wouldn't be waiting.

My least... err... don't think I have any... apart from Tony this year who had the £250,000... also Andy from November 2008... there are others I'm sure... just can't think of any.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:51 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

On the flip side, I didn't like Buddy's £50k, not because of Buddy as I really liked him, but some of the people begrudging him it due to some of the risks he took to get there.......

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
Global Moderator

I'd like to add Rich to the list, but not in the context of the two AMOs he turned down, or the split reaction to the game. More because of how we were all convinced he was going to do it, but it turned out to be a bluff (that said, the reaction of some forum members when it didn't happen was quite amusing).

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:27 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Something I'll say about £50k Andy - the majority of the forum had put him down as cringeworthy and producing bad television as they felt he was borderline 'theatrical'. I decided to view his game on Youtube to see what they were on about.
I ended up feeling really bad for Andy. The money meant a lot to him and his reactions made his thoughts very clear to us. It really pissed me off to have him labelled almost as an idiot just by 'sitting on the floor' and 'sobbing'. And many people tend to forget he had a 2/3 chance of doubling his money to 6 figures.

Anyway, some Power 5 wins which didn't really affect me include:

£50k Patrick - reasons stated mostly by JamesJMH91. Nothing more than mild disappointment was necessary for that box reveal. The reaction was extraordinary, absolutely what you'd expect if he'd declined £50k and ended up with the blue finish which was possible at 5-box. Not when someone has merely undersold their box for a life changing sum.

...um, I'll get back to this soon. I'm sure all 2 of you will be waiting patiently.

:D

KP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:54 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
International Forums Moderator

Another one from the Wakey Winter I thought of only yesterday not knowing of this thread - £35k Chantelle! I'm amazed James didn't mention her, as he found her an annoying contestant in her game, as well as one who took questionable risks with seemingly no discretion whatsoever - I didn't like her either, and it would have been my favourite 1p win ever if it went the other way at the end!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:42 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

KP wrote:
Another one from the Wakey Winter I thought of only yesterday not knowing of this thread - £35k Chantelle! I'm amazed James didn't mention her, as he found her an annoying contestant in her game, as well as one who took questionable risks with seemingly no discretion whatsoever - I didn't like her either, and it would have been my favourite 1p win ever if it went the other way at the end!

I was actually going to mention her after Patrick.

Never been more irritated to see a big win. Ever.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:52 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

£44k Glenn - He had an ALL RED 5-box and it would've been one of the easiest £250k wins ever!

Fan of classic rock and metal

James1978

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:12 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

I'd actually forgotten Chantelle. She had a few screws loose shall we say. But I did think when they dressed her up in that suit she looked quite hot too :)

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:46 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

A part of me didn't completely feel comfortable with the first 3 £250k wins (Laura, Alice, Suzanne) as they were pretty much handed to the player. Laura getting a miserable £45k at 2-box, Alice having an easy banker's gamble and Suzanne getting such lousy offers up until 5-box and was then driven on by the sheer strength of the board.

In terms of brave/questionable no-deals, i think Nong probably would be the best £250k winner so far

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:57 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

BankerSpanker wrote:
£44k Glenn - He had an ALL RED 5-box and it would've been one of the easiest £250k wins ever!

Same goes with £45k Kathleen, and i'm sure people would have JT on this list if his proveout went the wrong way (that £39k at 5-box really was shocking)

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
International Forums Moderator

JT's is the most easily forgotten worst-deal-ever contender because it worked!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

It was never specified which Power 5 block we're talking about, Banker's or Player's. In that case...

Every 1p win. All 45 of them.

... nah, in seriousness, the worst 1p wins must be (of the ones I've witnessed) Trevor, Mariyam, Connell and (in a technical sense) PJ.

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]