Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:27 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:27 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Davao

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:08 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Warnings: 0
Brick wrote:
Dr. Hindsight wrote:
There was a £100,000 win a few years back, and when it happened, no one here seemed too pleased with it because the contestant seemed greedy. There were a few comments about it being a very undeserved win. I don't remember her name, but I distinctly remember her accent. She pronounced money as "munnah."

What was her name? Stephanie? Susannah? Hannah? Elizabeth? I'm drawing a serious blank here. Either way, I didn't particularly enjoy it.

£100k Lauren from December 2008 maybe? She wasn't branded greedy by anyone as such, but people did think it was a forced big win after she was offered just £13k on a £750/£100k finish. It came days after Ellen was offered just £5k on a 1p/£75k finish, although that one had the extra element of the banker looking in the box and everyone wondering whether he was trying to tell her to swap. In Lauren's game, the banker hadn't looked in the box and it just felt like she was being made to go to the end. Billy's game the following day - where he won £68k after at least one brave gamble - probably made Lauren's game look worse!

I don't remember much about how she pronounced words but I do remember Noel describing her as "bolshy", so I imagine she wouldn't have been to everyone's taste in that respect either.

I think he is talking about Tabitha who played a few days after Tegen.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
International Forums Moderator

I remember Tabitha! I didn't especially enjoy her game, but I found it hard to root for her for reasons that are fairly personal to me (and which for most people would have led to more rather than less respect).

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Brick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:33 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

I read back the thread for Tabitha's game and there were no particularly negative comments :ponder: I know her approach was later described as quite aggressive, but overall the forum reaction didn't seem that bad.

I remember Jean from May 2010, who won £50k, leaving a bad taste in the mouth. She had a stable board and generous offers throughout her game, but was very dismissive of them, with comments like "You don't leave halfway through a game!" What was quite telling was that she was only there for 18 shows and Noel had made various references to her complaining about the hotel, so maybe she had a bit of an obnoxious attitude away from the game too, hence the short wing run... :lol:

That said, we hadn't seen many gambles pay off during that era so the game itself did at least give us a 'feelgood' result, as did the aforementioned games from Suzanne, Paddy and Nenad, even though they'd have been better with less decisive 5-box offers. I'd certainly take them over games where the player won a decent sum from a perfectly reasonable deal but had to endure a forced downbeat atmosphere because they could have had more (£50k Patrick, £63k Debs, £53k Chris etc).

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:35 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
International Forums Moderator

The big-money Deals with £250k on the table used to make horrible viewing at the end because you'd get Noel suddenly making £50,000 seem like a genuinely modest win even though he'd be bouncing off the walls at the same sum being won the way Jean did it. The last of those games to be ruined that way was Hallowe'en Chris (dealt £40k with the Banker having seen the QM on a 5-box board with three mid-reds and a blue), and the Banker's peek was the driving factor behind that particular guilt trip.

Looking back at Jean's thread, most people enjoyed it, and even the statisticians were like "eh, she was a wacky carefree old lady, hopefully that just offsets the bad luck lately and no more" for the most part!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:32 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

KP wrote:
The big-money Deals with £250k on the table used to make horrible viewing at the end because you'd get Noel suddenly making £50,000 seem like a genuinely modest win even though he'd be bouncing off the walls at the same sum being won the way Jean did it. The last of those games to be ruined that way was Hallowe'en Chris (dealt £40k with the Banker having seen the QM on a 5-box board with three mid-reds and a blue), and the Banker's peek was the driving factor behind that particular guilt trip.

Looking back at Jean's thread, most people enjoyed it, and even the statisticians were like "eh, she was a wacky carefree old lady, hopefully that just offsets the bad luck lately and no more" for the most part!

Thankfully Noel isn't like that anymore, as shown in £72k Tony's, £100k Roy's, £118k Marlene's, £75k Nenad's and £65k Earl's games. :D ;)

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:01 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

American Coupon Boy wrote:
KP wrote:

I think you meant David who had that game in Halloween 2009

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:51 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Didn't anyone else but me think Scott was reckless? One of the most reckless people on DOND. I wonder why?

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:05 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Davao wrote:
Didn't anyone else but me think Scott was reckless? One of the most reckless people on DOND. I wonder why?

Quite a few people did, as shown in his commentary. It's just that people respected Scott and his decisions more after he told off several of the wakeyist trolls on the Deal or No Deal Facebook page and Charles on this forum then told everyone that he lost everything he loved and had nothing to lose, hence why he took those big risks in his game. He's still my least favourite Power 5 winner, though, as he just batted away all his offers with the super-greedy intention of winning as much as possible and blowing it all before his ex-wife could get a penny of it.

Weirdly enough, though, £50k Rich is still in my Top 5 favourite games despite him taking risks that were as reckless as Scott's. That's mainly because his game was very tense and hilarious throughout, and also because it got me hooked on the UK version of Deal or No Deal. Admitedly, though, back then I thought that anyone who dealt less than 80% of the average was a total coward and nearly everyone on wings were idiots for always giving such cautious advice.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:11 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

American Coupon Boy wrote:
Davao wrote:

Quite a few people did, as shown in his commentary. It's just that people respected Scott and his decisions more after he told off several of the wakeyist trolls on the Deal or No Deal Facebook page and Charles on this forum then told everyone that he lost everything he loved and had nothing to lose, hence why he took those big risks in his game. He's still my least favourite Power 5 winner, though, as he just batted away all his offers with the super-greedy intention of winning as much as possible and blowing it all before his ex-wife could get a penny of it.

Weirdly enough, though, £50k Rich is still in my Top 5 favourite games despite him taking risks that were as reckless as Scott's. That's mainly because his game was very tense and hilarious throughout, and also because it got me hooked on the UK version of Deal or No Deal. Admitedly, though, back then I thought that anyone who dealt less than 80% of the average
was a total coward and nearly everyone on wings were idiots for always giving such cautious advice.

I never enjoyed Alice's, due to the Banker. I mean offering a BG there is stupid from him. I wouldn't of offered it, I would of offered something like £75,000 there. Alice was a nice girl and she deserved it., just the Banker. IMO.

Davao

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:18 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

35k Maurice, just because of his antics against Brad on social media. Not a very nice man whatsoever.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:35 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
Forum Games Moderator

Davao wrote:
35k Maurice, just because of his antics against Brad on social media. Not a very nice man whatsoever.

Wow, that's sad that it was him - I had wondered, after reading your earlier comment. He seemed nice when he appeared on the show, but evidently he is not.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:22 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

daniel123 wrote:
Davao wrote:

Wow, that's sad that it was him - I had wondered, after reading your earlier comment. He seemed nice when he appeared on the show, but evidently he is not.

He might have been nice back then but just become a bitter old gammon since…

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:31 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
Forum Games Moderator

Power5 wrote:
daniel123 wrote:
Davao wrote:

Hmmm, I dunno...I've just watched some of his show, and it seems like Maurice was less a Cheshire cat and more a Cheshire cu--- :shock:

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Davao

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:23 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

daniel123 wrote:
Power5 wrote:
daniel123 wrote:
Davao wrote:

Hmmm, I dunno...I've just watched some of his show, and it seems like Maurice was less a Cheshire cat and more a Cheshire cu--- :shock:

He tried to call Jamie a loser, for dealing at 5 box! Which is the same time when he dealt in his game! In those days 2005, they would have been more patient of things going on behind the scenes, by making them play early. Unlike CJ a few years later though!

Archstered

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:19 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Are we classing £10k plus wins from the Mulhern era a power 5 win?

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:09 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Having this thread revamped makes me think the unpopular £100k win Dr Hindsight was referring to was actually £75k Julie, seems to fit the description, Tabitha doesn't quite seem to fit and neither does Lauren.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]