Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:18 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:18 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:53 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Warnings: 0
Some would argue that Matty would probably the most deserving 1p win. I was kind of in two minds about his game, he did get too cocky at the beginning, so a part of me kind of thought he deserved to crash. But the eerie silence in the studio after he found the last red (£35k), and Matty's trying to comfort his distraught wife (even though Matty's "Can we have a break Noel?" line was somewhat amusing) did make it quite saddening to watch :(

KP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:25 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
International Forums Moderator

Geordie would have gained contention for least favourite Banker's P5 win if he hadn't dealt out of it at £20! :) I still sometimes call a £20 note "a Geordie" in my head!!

Sally Kettle another least favourite 1p win. Favourite was Matty's, unless Damien winning nothing after a twist counts!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:12 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Big-money OPWs have always been a favourite of mine. Watching them often leaves you on the edge of your seat, and when the final result becomes clear, it just makes you feel so good. My favourite one is probably Ramesh's £77,000 OPW from a couple of years ago. It was incredibly fun to watch, and he was just about as funky and awesome as a contestant can get.

I detest all blue wins with a passion, and I blame them strictly on sheer contestant idiocy, money-chasing, and reckless gambling. It's not "luck" per se, as each decision in the game is driven by the contestant, and them alone (although we've seen evidence of family members or wingers influencing certain decisions). If your game goes off a cliff, the fault is yours and yours alone for saying No Deal to what might have been a terrific offer. This is exactly why I post what I post during crash situations, so you now have your long-overdue explanation of Markism.

I also await the day when someone wins a negative amount of money, only to receive a call from the Banker saying that they have to pay the show that amount.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:22 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
Global Moderator

Mad Mark wrote:
I also await the day when someone wins a negative amount of money, only to receive a call from the Banker saying that they have to pay the show that amount.

We did have a game last year, where the player had a trainwreck, but the Banker agreed to give her a holiday if she paid him £50!

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:03 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Mad Mark wrote:
I detest all blue wins with a passion, and I blame them strictly on sheer contestant idiocy, money-chasing, and reckless gambling. It's not "luck" per se, as each decision in the game is driven by the contestant, and them alone (although we've seen evidence of family members or wingers influencing certain decisions). If your game goes off a cliff, the fault is yours and yours alone for saying No Deal to what might have been a terrific offer. This is exactly why I post what I post during crash situations, so you now have your long-overdue explanation of Markism.

And what if the actual offers are all blue amounts, how do you get round that one? There was one game where the highest offer was £250, and that was the first round!!

Do they get to play again? :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

James1978 wrote:
Mad Mark wrote:

And what if the actual offers are all blue amounts, how do you get round that one? There was one game where the highest offer was £250, and that was the first round!!

That would've been Nikki Tucker's game but there was another game, I think Mark De Sousa (no idea if that's the right spelling), where he didn't get offered any higher than £199!

Fan of classic rock and metal

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:16 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

James1978 wrote:

Wipe, re-calibrate, re-record, smiles all round.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:38 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

psychokiller wrote:
James1978 wrote:

Wipe, re-calibrate, re-record, smiles all round.

Or give out a £1,000 bonus to anyone who keeps the £250,000 in play at the end of the first round. I also would like to see the non-playing contestants get a £500 bonus for correctly predicting what's in their box, a la the Australian version.

Davao

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

My least favorite was Suzanne to be fair because fair enough she was a nice girl but the 250k was earned easily IMO. I didn't enjoy Scott 50k win either.He annoyed me. I thought he was a bit cocky.

Rodney's is my favorite Power 5 win to be fair.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:01 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Paddy's is another one. Just like with Suzanne, the £250k was pretty much handed to him by the banker making joke offers on a powerful board. I'm not surprised as they were so desperate for a male £250k winner, that it was far more likely to be through a deus ex machina like Alice, or the banker lowballing his offers and making for easy no-deals

Also, was it Nened (sp?), The east-european fella who won £75k in November or December last year by dealing on an all-or-nothing £250k finish. His game deserves a mention as he was pretty much forced to 2-box and only got offered £26k or something at 5-box when he still had the top THREE in play!! :shock:

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:35 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

JamesJMH91 wrote:
Paddy's is another one. Just like with Suzanne, the £250k was pretty much handed to him by the banker making joke offers on a powerful board. I'm not surprised as they were so desperate for a male £250k winner, that it was far more likely to be through a deus ex machina like Alice, or the banker lowballing his offers and making for easy no-deals

Also, was it Nened (sp?), The east-european fella who won £75k in November or December last year by dealing on an all-or-nothing £250k finish. His game deserves a mention as he was pretty much forced to 2-box and only got offered £26k or something at 5-box when he still had the top THREE in play!! :shock:

Yep, Paddy and Nenad's big wins were undoubtedly deus ex machinas:

http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24005

As you can see there, they received the lowest offers ever on a 5 box with the Top 3 in play. In fact, Nenad statistically received the worst 5 box offer ever with the £250,000 in play (though it was since topped by Mark's £2,500 offer on a 4 blues/£250k 5 box). Both were definitely needed big wins, though. In fact, I remember saying at the beginning of Nenad's game:

American Coupon Boy wrote:
22 boxes, £26,000, and just one question: how cheap of a Deal will the Banker get today? :roll:

Neither of them come close to qualifying as my least favourite Power 5 winner, however, as both of them did very well to resist the overwhelming pressure from the wings to Deal at 5 box. :roll: Also, both of them gave the Banker his deserved punishment for low-balling them throughout the game, and I always love it when that happens. :D Had Nenad instantly asked for the question at 3 box and dealt his £35,000 extra offer, he definitely would of been my least favourite Power 5 winner.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:42 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

I've now officially decided that £50,000 Scott is my least favourite Power 5 winner. He instantly dismissed all of his offers despite receiving the most generous set of offers in the show's history (his Deal-Eye Thermo-stat was 2.04, for goodness sake!), including £25,250 on a £500/£50,000 finish. :shock: :smt011 His motives for doing so were greedy and pathetic as well, as all he wanted to do was to get as much money as possible that he would then spend in a frenzy between when he got the check and when his game aired so that his ex-wife wouldn't get a cent of it. Scott, if you wish to defend yourself, come back to the forum and do so. :smt047

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Davao

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:53 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

American Coupon Boy wrote:
I've now officially decided that £50,000 Scott is my least favourite Power 5 winner. He instantly dismissed all of his offers despite receiving the most generous set of offers in the show's history (his Deal-Eye Thermo-stat was 2.04, for goodness sake!), including £25,250 on a £500/£50,000 finish. :shock: :smt011 His motives for doing so were greedy and pathetic as well, as all he wanted to do was to get as much money as possible that he would then spend in a frenzy between when he got the check and when his game aired so that his ex-wife wouldn't get a cent of it. Scott, if you wish to defend yourself, come back to the forum and do so. :smt047

I was cheering him to win the blue.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:51 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?
International Forums Moderator

Scott was on a revenge mission and frankly did it wrong, surely you'd want to ensure you didn't win the QM as you'd struggle to spend it all before transmission, especially unnoticed?

Least favourite P5 for me has to be Chantelle from 2007 who won £35,000 in oblivious fashion.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:08 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Don't think he needs to defend himself, he explained everything two years ago. It was revenge for his evil cheating ex-wife, blow loadsamoney before she got a penny. Lovely stuff. He'd have found a way to blow the £250,000, no doubt.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:15 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

There was a £100,000 win a few years back, and when it happened, no one here seemed too pleased with it because the contestant seemed greedy. There were a few comments about it being a very undeserved win. I don't remember her name, but I distinctly remember her accent. She pronounced money as "munnah."

What was her name? Stephanie? Susannah? Hannah? Elizabeth? I'm drawing a serious blank here. Either way, I didn't particularly enjoy it.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:32 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

£250k Alice - I still don't get what the Banker was playing at offering the gamble on £17,500 on a 1p/£250,000 board. That win was so manufactured! :smt019

Fan of classic rock and metal

Davao

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:34 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Yes I agree. I know 100 percent I wouldn't have offered the gamble there. I would of offered £72,000

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:15 am    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
There was a £100,000 win a few years back, and when it happened, no one here seemed too pleased with it because the contestant seemed greedy. There were a few comments about it being a very undeserved win. I don't remember her name, but I distinctly remember her accent. She pronounced money as "munnah."

What was her name? Stephanie? Susannah? Hannah? Elizabeth? I'm drawing a serious blank here. Either way, I didn't particularly enjoy it.

There was a Sam back in June 2011...although a quick check of that game thread says no comments about greed or it being undeserved.

As for my least favourites...umm...well if I was REALLY pushed for an answer, there was a girl in the run up to Xmas last year I think, by the name of Laura (I think)...she got left with £35k/£50k...she said she felt the £35K was on the table, yet failed to swap when offered! Lo and behold, she was right and won 35 grand.

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:57 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Your least favourite Power 5 win ever?

Dr. Hindsight wrote:

£100k Lauren from December 2008 maybe? She wasn't branded greedy by anyone as such, but people did think it was a forced big win after she was offered just £13k on a £750/£100k finish. It came days after Ellen was offered just £5k on a 1p/£75k finish, although that one had the extra element of the banker looking in the box and everyone wondering whether he was trying to tell her to swap. In Lauren's game, the banker hadn't looked in the box and it just felt like she was being made to go to the end. Billy's game the following day - where he won £68k after at least one brave gamble - probably made Lauren's game look worse!

I don't remember much about how she pronounced words but I do remember Noel describing her as "bolshy", so I imagine she wouldn't have been to everyone's taste in that respect either.

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]