Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:52 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 7:52 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 

travis P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Imagine if this happened here...

Warnings: 0
The Italian version of Deal or No Deal (Affari Tuoi) returned last week for a new season. It's basically the UK version (but produced before 2005) with 20 boxes instead of 22, booby prices replacing some blue values and some twists to the game.

A contestant playing today had a run of bad luck and ended up with three boxes remaining. They were

€0.01
€100
Pacco Matto

The Banker (or The Doctor as he is known in Italy) offers her €50, she rejects the offer. She chooses the next box to reveal the Pacco Matto. With the Pacco Matto a giant sphere appears from below the set with eight hidden scrolls. The contestant must choose one. The contents of the scrolls can be good or bad. Some of the contents of the scrolls include...

Top prize on the board doubled
Top prize on the board halved
€1,000 win
Forced swap
Box holder chooses next box to open
Nothing happens.

The scroll she chose at random tonight had "Go or Stay". This means she can either "stay" and continue the game as normal or she could decide to "go". If she decides to "go" she will return to her box opening position so she will be chosen for a brand new game at a later date and start fresh. However, one of the other nineteen box openers will be chosen (from a name in a black envelope) and continue the game the original contestant left off. Meaning whoever was selected would play the game with two boxes remaining, €0.01 and €100.

No surprises, she decided to "go" and was replaced by another contestant who ended up winning €100. That person didn't have a chance to start with 20 boxes and attempt to win €500,000.

Obviously, it wouldn't happen here since everybody will have a fair crack to win up to £250,000 but imagine if that twist was used here. It would definitely make the evenings at the hotel very interesting as well as Noel's opening speeches.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

Wow, that made for some fascinating reading ! :o

As much as this scroll twist would provide some great viewing, I just can't see the 'Go or Stay' being viable... at all. You'd have the frostiest room imaginable with the inevitable bad feelings that would probably culminate in a few head kickings.

Still, make good telly though !

travis P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:36 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

psychokiller wrote:

As much as this scroll twist would provide some great viewing, I just can't see the 'Go or Stay' being viable... at all. You'd have the frostiest room imaginable with the inevitable bad feelings that would probably culminate in a few head kickings.

I will state the person who decided to "go" back to her box opening position was in tears.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

travis P wrote:
psychokiller wrote:

I will state the person who decided to "go" back to her box opening position was in tears.

...and there's no way out if you are faced with 'Go or Stay' ?

That must be terrible. I wonder what Mad Mark would have to say about that ? :shock:

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

Would be cool if this played. :)

Fan of classic rock and metal

KP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...
International Forums Moderator

This makes me grateful that the British version, whilst coming from the Italian "fork" of the show's international history rather than the original Dutch or indeed the American version, would never feel the need to do this.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

In all honesty I think you'd have to Stay in this country if you were faced with that option. Either that or someone who is OK with winning a blue and doesn't need any money volunteers to take over rather than it being picked at random.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:27 am    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

psychokiller wrote:
...and there's no way out if you are faced with 'Go or Stay' ?

No, if you pick it you have to choose one or the other. The only way it could backfire if you decide to "go" but your name (each contestant is represented by a region of Italy) is in that black envelope so you return to where you left off.

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 am    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

BankerSpanker wrote:
Would be cool if this played. :)

They didn't play any music when it happened but they do play licensed music throughout the show. On one previous show they played The Edge of Glory when The Banker was on the verge of a massive victory.

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:41 am    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

KP wrote:
This makes me grateful that the British version, whilst coming from the Italian "fork" of the show's international history rather than the original Dutch or indeed the American version, would never feel the need to do this.

Could be worse. She could've picked the Arrivederci scroll where she has to leave the show for good and be replaced by someone else and continue from where that leaving contestant left off.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 am    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

I really hope we don't get gimmicks like that.

Fan of classic rock and metal

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: Imagine if this happened here...

I generally like "feel good" TV.

Some drama and disappointment here and there is all good, but I can do without "mean" gimmicks such as that.

[ 12 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]