Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:31 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 3:31 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 7 posts ] 

BrianR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:13 pm    Author: BrianR    Post subject: The 1p kiss

Warnings: 0
I've been giving this some though for a while.

When there's 1p left in the game you hear Noel quote the banker saying "The power of the 1p keep the offers down."

Why?

What is the difference between for example between having 1p or £5 left at 8 or 5 Box ( I know mathematically its £4.99).
Is there still such a stigma? Are people still worried about going home with the penny?

Would somebody be happier taking home £5 or 1p if the game goes sideways? Surely the 1p is a badge of honour.

The point I'm trying to make is, surely its time to do away with the 1p kiss?

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:01 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: The 1p kiss

The 1p kiss is just a bit of fun, sometimes it can be very funny (Ali and Dave from June is one example) and sometimes it can be very pleasant to look at ! (my avatar for example...!)

I agree with the whole '1p drags the offers' down thing that Noel and the Banker go on about... it dosen't make hardly any differencence to the board in most situations and the whole 'stigma' of joining fell out the window a long time ago, too many people have won it so it's not exactly a 'select' group anymore. I'd struggle to name all of them !

matt26

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: The 1p kiss

I also think it's a bit silly that the 1p is said to have so much influence on the game. To be honest, any blue amount below £100 has almost no utility value anyway - why the 1p still gets singled out so much I don't know.

Back in, say, late 2006, winning 1p would have better than winning £5 or £10 because at least the former has some comedy value. But nowadays, when there are over 40 who have won a penny, it's long since lost its novelty. In fact, the proportion of people who've won 1p compared to how many had it in their box must be far higher than for any other box on the board, and that's precisely because it artificially brings offers down. Remember how outraged everyone was when Sharron only got offered 3k on a 1p vs 20k finish? Nowadays that would probably be expected!

BrianR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 am    Author: BrianR    Post subject: Re: The 1p kiss

I remember a game a few days ago where Noel said something along the lines of "back in the real world" and "the dream factory world".

Perhaps I'm looking at things from a "real world" perspective. I can sort of understand players caught up in the emotion of a game. And I concede the 1p kiss can be amusing on occasion, but this whole fear of the 1p does baffle me.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: The 1p kiss

I think the 1p stigma and the whole 1p kiss thing is so embedded in the show that it's never going to go away. You don't notice most of the 1p kisses unless it's a male/male one.

cfd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:28 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: The 1p kiss

I often get the impression the 1p is important because Noel keeps saying it is. The way he speaks half the time before the banker rings you think he's actively trying to get the banker to give a low offer.

In my next commentary I shall not reveal the values of the blues and instead just refer to them as BLUE

selv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:25 pm    Author: selv    Post subject: Re: The 1p kiss

Never mind doing a commentry of the show cfd, just do the commercials matey,as I have found they are more interesting nowadays than the show, and some of the zero character contestants.The show needs a few people with yours (and my) type of humour ;) :smt023

[ 7 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]