Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:34 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 4:34 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 

hogwild94

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:25 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: What is 'GREED'?
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
This is something I've wanted to say for a while, and today's show has given me a reasonable chance to do so.

Not long ago, I found a comment on Facebook referring to Mariyam's game, saying something like:

"To all those who think turning down £60,000 was greedy: it was not. In my mind, taking £60,000, and not showing intentions of taking a risk and going for the big money, that's what greed is."

This, to me, appears to be the Wakeyist definition of greed.

I would define 'greed' as:

"Not being satisfied with what you have, even though what you have is perfectly sufficient, and wanting more."

Also, as has been said many times before, people only call the players 'greedy' if the gamble goes wrong; if Nong had had the £5 in her box, I'm sure a lot of the people congratulating her for gambling would be a lot less impressed, and saying she was 'greedy'. Likewise, those who called Gurpal 'greedy' for gambling would not be saying so if he'd won the £250,000.

Others will argue that, had Gurpal and Nong dealt, they'd have been greedy for not 'playing the game', and not wanting to risk losing it all.

I don't buy any of this, which is why I stay well out of arguments of this on Facebook, even though I disagree with what is said (if Antonia had had the £250,000, Facebook would've gone into meltdown, I'm sure.

That's all I have to say on this matter; no ranting intended, you understand; any other thoughts will be welcome. :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

KP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:01 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: What is 'GREED'?
International Forums Moderator

Definition from dictionary.com: "excessive or rapacious desire, especially for wealth or possessions."

Which usually seems to translate to "always wanting more", which is consistent with a play-to-the-end philosophy.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: What is 'GREED'?

Some people would argue that even appearing on the show is greedy as nobody (apart from Danielle) loses money!! :shock:

In that case everyone should just win 1p and be happy then!!!! :twisted:

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: What is 'GREED'?

According to Youtube and Facebook- You are greedy if you gamble and lose. You are brave and incredible if you gamble and win. If you Deal a sizeable amount and the big money goes in the proveouts, you will be commended for not being greedy. If you Deal and the small amounts go in the proveout, you will be attacked for not being brave.

That is quite clear Bullsh*t. I can't really think of any true 'greedy' players at this moment.

People like Gurpal took very questionable gambles, but he was also brave in doing so. He was not greedy because he got the lower amount. Would Nong be greedy if she got the lower amount ? No. She took a very questionable gamble, it was also very brave of her to do so... and luckily it paid off. If Gurpal got the £250,000, my feelings would be the same as for Nong's game, questionable, brave, but it worked out.

As it was, questionable, brave, but sadly didn't work out.

But try telling that to the retards on Facebook. There was one particular specimen during Gold Medal Deal who went as far as to call Tony ''a failure at life'' for not going to the end because he had more than £24,000 in his box... this same person then slammed Ricky for being ''greedy'' for actually going for it, only to not succeed in keeping the big numbers in play and ending up with a blue.

Idiot people.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: What is 'GREED'?

psychokiller wrote:
But try telling that to the retards on Facebook. There was one particular specimen during Gold Medal Deal who went as far as to call Tony ''a failure at life'' for not going to the end because he had more than £24,000 in his box... this same person then slammed Ricky for being ''greedy'' for actually going for it, only to not succeed in keeping the big numbers in play and ending up with a blue.

I hope you called them a complete and utter hypocrite. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

beaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:27 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: What is 'GREED'?

The whole show is about greed though surely? It's essentially the definition of the game otherwise why haven't we had someone deal at the 1st offer?

Personally I would never call anyone greedy for chasing the money

[ 6 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]