Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:45 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 5:45 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 3 posts ] 

Was Craig's final gamble...
Poll ended at Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 am
Reasonable 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Reckless 66%  66%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:54 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Craig's final gamble
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Well, Craig's final gamble on Wednesday has certainly split people over whether what he did was reasonable, or not (even Noel acknowledged this at the start of Thursday's game!).

Yes, it was a decent offer, but, at the same time, he wasn't risking a great deal of money (unlike, say, Joycey), so it was arguable.

What do you think? (You have seven days to vote)

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

matt26

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:48 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: Craig's final gamble

The way I see it, the only objectively reckless gambles are ones that involve no dealing an AMO.

If the offer is below the mean, then it depends entirely on what the player's utility curve is like. If Craig felt that 20k would be at least twice as useful to him as 8k, then the no deal was fair enough. For most of us, 20k wouldn't have twice as much utility, so 8k would be a deal.

Imagine a scenario where you're left with a low blue vs 10k, and you're offered 2.5k. For most people, 2.5k is a nice chunk of money - enough for a holiday and some other things - but is unlikely to drastically change their life, whereas 10k is much more meaningful, in many cases having more than twice as much utility as 2.5k, and therefore would be a no deal. However, if someone has, say, 2k of credit card debt which they would otherwise be paying back years later, that 2.5k is going to be much more meaningful to them in particular, and with a 50% chance of winning peanuts the best choice for them is to deal.

People often see Corinne's gamble as being stupid and reckless, but in reality it wasn't in her case. She didn't really want any money unless it was enough to buy the classic Bentley she wanted - something that only the top prize would do for her. So for her, the decision was a case of having either a 50% chance of her dream, or 0%. But Corinne was a special case - for the vast majority of people, 88k would have been a clear-cut deal.

Basically, I don't think we really have the right to say whether his decision was 'reckless' or not without knowing his circumstances properly.

KP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:44 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Craig's final gamble
International Forums Moderator

I'd say "questionable" would describe that decision better than either of the two options provided. :)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 3 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]