Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:45 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 6:45 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 8 posts ] 

Whizzer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:24 pm    Author: Whizzer    Post subject: Do you think DOND is on too much?

Warnings: 0
This may seem like an odd question to ask on a DOND fan forum. But do you think DOND is on just too much? Would you prefer only a few episodes per week? Or that the show only airs for say 6 months per year instead of all year round?

I am a fan of the show. But I work full time 5 days per week, and am not at home to watch when it airs at 4pm. So I have to catch up on 4od. 4od only allows you to watch the show up to one month after the broadcast date. I've been roughly one month behind for several months now. I try to watch one episode per day if I can. Sometimes(more chance at weekends) I may have time to be able to watch up to two or three episodes in a day. But other days(especially if I'm away from home on a short break or holiday) I won't be able to watch any episodes, so I fall further behind again. So it's allmost impossible to try and catch up when I'm a month behind!

So allthough I think DOND is a very good show, I feel as though it's on just too much now. Six(or seven as is the case recently) episodes per week is too much!

I feel the show should either be:

a) reduced to either three or four episodes per week

or

b) remain at six episodes per week. But only airs for around six or seven months of the year, for instance from September through to March or April.

or

c) if the show really insists on continueing at six episodes per week all year round, then at least the DOND "Summer Break" really should mean just that, a complete break from the show during six weeks of the Summer, not six weeks of repeat episodes dressed up as "Deal or No Deal Classics"!

Also I think the quality of the show has gone down since the show was extended from a 45 minute to a 1 hour slot. The extra several minutes of the show are padded out with too much banter and faffing about. For instance I'm just watching the Aideen episode now from last month, and about five minutes of the episodes are spent on Noel ordering a number of audience members out of the studio! Numerous other episodes over the past several months features such activity too. I think the show was far better as it was in a 45 minute slot.

What is other fans opinons on this?

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:20 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Do you think DOND is on too much?

Another good idea to improve the show IMO would be to have it run from September-July. Have the summer break start mid-July, and have the new season start on the first Monday of September to give it a good rest during the summer. Also, perhaps even have the show take one or 2 two-week breaks during the season.

I think a good running time of deal or no deal would probably be 50 minutes, or whatever time would be efficient enough to give the players a good chance for their personalities to show on screen and yet not leave in all this time for pointless, boring faffing about to fill the void

James1978

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:56 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Do you think DOND is on too much?

I am missing a lot of episodes lately I must say. I'm actually a lot more interested in the Challenge repeats than the current shows which is saying something. That's despite knowing there's what sounds like one of the favourite contestants ever (Tony) currently on the wings. Yes he's good from what little I've seen of him but.....

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

holly

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:23 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Re: Do you think DOND is on too much?

WTF? No! DOND aint on enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stewartw

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:29 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Do you think DOND is on too much?

It has always been on too much but 7 days a week/twice-on-one-day as it has been sometimes lately is pushing it. Very easy to tire of a show when it's on wall to wall.

After the shift to an hour the show feels very slow and gimmicky, not the simple show I enjoyed in the past - and the ratings seem to have taken a hit from the extension. A long (3 month?) summer break would do it good I think - people might begin to miss it and look forward to its return.

If you wanted to really cut it down, a once-a-week run of Live shows, or maybe a stripped run for a few weeks every so often might do quite well I think. Could even venture into primetime.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:44 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Do you think DOND is on too much?

Well, I honestly think that it would not be a Bad Thing if Channel 4 got rid of the weekend episode. :eyes:

After all, they've shuffled it about so much in recent months - and it always attracts less viewers than the weekday episodes, anyway. :roll: :eyes:

And, of course, I'm not impressed that there won't be a summer break of any sort this year. :? :eyes:

As for how long I think each episode should be? I have to agree with JamesJMH91 that 50 minutes is a good length - long enough to fit in a good bit of banter, without having to resort to padding.

Whizzer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:21 pm    Author: Whizzer    Post subject: Re: Do you think DOND is on too much?

I've taken the decision now to only watch three or four episodes per week, from each week originally broadcast. If that makes sense? For instance I'm now watching the Monday May 7th episode, having skipped three episodes completely. After this I'll skip another episode or two, or skip forward to one of the attractive female players I like who's in the hot seat. But I'll be doing this every week now, only watching three or four episodes from each week. This does mean I will miss out on some really good games, but still. It's just I find trying to keep up with this now is too much of a handful. I work full time, there are other TV shows I like to watch(mostly via DVD), and other things which take up my spare time. Time to cut down on my viewings of DOND.

I like the show. But would far more appreciate it if it was on less frequently every week, or took a proper break at some point/s during the year(Summer would be the best time of year for a break). But it doesn't look as though that will happen. Summary - very good show, but on too often for me.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:32 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Do you think DOND is on too much?
International Forums Moderator

I used to say I do prefer the hour-long slot because it means that big games can at least reach something like their natural length - but then Louis Walsh's game was 45 minutes with £250k staying to 2-box and a 3-box bonus offer thrown in to boot (albeit a useless one), plus time used up laughing with/at Jedward's tweets, and it only occasionally felt rushed and it was an absolute joy to watch!

And it's not like the pace of the game isn't an internal mini-spoiler with 60-minute episodes anyway. ;)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 8 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]