Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:47 pm Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 

Red Box

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 pm    Author: Red Box    Post subject: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

Warnings: 0
Hi Guys, I've just started writing a Deal or No Deal blog for a site I run. I thought I would post some of them and get some feedback and thoughts from the experts! Apologies for any inaccuracies or out of date figures...

If you thought The Banker was tight, it's worth remembering that he has given away over £26 million in prizes since the show began on Channel Four back on Hallowe'en 2005. There have been plenty of mortgages paid off in that time with the help of the shady figure down the other end of that black bakelite telephone.

So where has all the money gone? Well there have been five £250,000 winners (four of them women) and thirty-eight unfortunate people have walked away with just one penny. If you take away the big winners and the small one, then the average amount for contestants is around £14,000 each.

The question is, if you offered £14k straight away, without opening a box, would you take it? For most people participating on the show will be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to win a life-changing amount of money (yes we all have dreams of winning the quarter of a million). Whilst £14k is a good amount to win and we can all find uses for it -it still wouldn't buy you a new car and certainly wouldn't pay off your mortgage (well it wouldn't pay off mine, that's for sure).

So it's safe to assume that almost everyone would want to play the game and chase the big prizes rather than walk away with a sensible amount. But how big would that 'sensible' amount have to be before players would automatically take it? My guess is around £25,000. What would your number be?

Feel free to post your 'walk away' number...

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:52 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

The average at the start of the game is £25,712.12. I'd probably want about 3/4 of that so probably somewhere close to £20k.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:04 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

I'd go if they offered me £20k before opening any boxes - £17.5k would have me not sure. Less and I'd play.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:39 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

Red Box wrote:
So where has all the money gone? Well there have been five £250,000 winners (four of them women) and thirty-eight unfortunate people have walked away with just one penny.

........que?

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:48 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

5? Ermm.. have you just given a spoiler away? :ponder:

£14k wouldn't be enough for me. It would have to be £20k+.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:50 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

So a male finally does win the £250,000.... hope so!!!!

RMF1254

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:51 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

Deleted

Last edited by RMF1254 on Sat May 12, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:27 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

That would be 42.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Red Box

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:50 pm    Author: Red Box    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

"Apologies for any inaccuracies or out of date figures..."

There have only been four 250k winners, apologies to those who got excited and thought I had some inside knowledge about the show -obviously I don't know enough!

I will endeavour not to alarm anyone with future posts.

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?
Forum Games Moderator

No way! Screw the stats. I'm here to try for the big guns. 8)

Red Box

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:15 pm    Author: Red Box    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

That's what I like to see -someone who is willing to go for it, just like Bill earlier this week who turned down 50k to go in search of a bigger prize. As I said earlier up the board, we don't get many chances in life to win such a massive prize or to get fame and fortune.

Has anyone here been in that position on DoND, or millionaire or anything like that? Would love to hear what it feels like and how much pressure is on you!

holly

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:58 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Re: How Much Would You Want To Walk Away?

Well, I'd want enough to get me a house in Scotland, and that is quite a long way from me, so maybe I'd want £30,000? All depends on a few things:

1: Where in Scotland I decide to move to.
2: How much a house up there will cost.
3: What the board is like.
4: What percentage of the money I would want to give away.

So basically I dunno. ;)

[ 12 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]